Question.

kathy215
on 11/5/11 12:19 am

Hoping someone can help.   I have been having lower back pain, sharp stabbing pains off and on, got xrays and I have arthritis in L5. Since we can't take nsaids what can we take for the pain? I have ultram and tylenol and they do nothing to help the pain. 

Amazing how being so much heavier masked alot of problems.  lol..

BUT, I would go back there for anything..

Thanks
Kathy

"Just Elizabeth "
on 11/5/11 12:25 am - Houston, TX
Uhm...who says we can't take NSAIDS? Those who had a RNY can't take NSAIDS. DSers can.

Elizabeth                                                      
Back in the U.S.A.

"I have lost the lumbering hulk that I once was.  I don't hide behind my clothes or behind my door.  I am part of life's rich tapestry not an observer."  Kirmy

Elizabeth N.
on 11/5/11 12:37 am - Burlington County, NJ
You might consider some physical therapy. Conservative use of NSAIDS might be okay for a while. Don't just gobble them. Use the smallest possible dose for the shortest possible amount of time, and take them in the most stomach-protective form available. That's all just common sense.

MsBatt might have some good input on this. She has pretty bad arthritis and uses meds.

beth-28
on 11/5/11 12:50 am
I have a herniation at L5 S1, and while I know it isn't arthritis it's a continous, extreme pain. I would be on narcotics 24/7 if it wasn't for my TENS unit. I swear by these! It takes away 90-100% of my pain during the day (unfortunately you can't wear it at night, unless you get it surgically implanted).

Ask your doctor about a TENS unit. 
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

larra
on 11/5/11 1:26 am - bay area, CA
Have you discussed physical therapy with your pcp? A trained physical therapist may be able to suggest exercises, positioning while seated/lying down, etc that could make a world of difference. Heat might help as well.
     Are you sitting in a chair/car that might be aggrevating the problem? Things to consider.

Many people with the DS do use NSAIDs, though as EN said in the smallest possible dose and for the shortest possible time, and accompanied by a PPI or other drug to protect your stomach. And if anything, your weight pulling on the spine would be making this worse now, not masking it. By losing weight you probably postponed this problem and made it milder than it otherwise would be. Continued weight loss if you are not yet at goal may help further.

Larra
Ms. Cal Culator
on 11/5/11 2:40 am - Tuvalu

I take ibuporfen only when the stupid vicodin doesn't work and/or when I'm just tired of vicodin.

And I take a proton pump inhibitor first.

But,  CAN take NSAIDs in moderation.
(deactivated member)
on 11/5/11 7:04 am - PA
I have a bulge at my L5 and S1.  Boy, do I have a couple options for you:

1.  Tylenol Arthritis - swear by it, it sooooo helps me.  It take 2-3 depending on my pain.

2. I have some vicodin - only use it if I am in extreme pain.

3.  Stretches - depending on where your pain is. 

4.  Ice - 15 min on 30 min off.

If I can think of any others, I'll post them!!

Feel better.