Does anyone else's doctor say no to coffee?

Valerie G.
on 11/7/11 2:33 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Caffeine slows healing, so getting off it while healing is a good idea.  I'm a total diet-coke-a-holic, quit for 5 months before getting my vice back on again.  The headache was defintely a killer, as I only quit 2 days before surgery, but 3 days on morphine took the edge off.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Diane Davis
on 11/7/11 3:41 pm
I drank decaff everything before surgery and drink everything decaff now.  I was offered decaff coffe in the hospital.  I love my coffee black.  I'm only drinking about 3 cups throughout the day where before I drank 2 pots of coffee a day, I'm only 2 1/2 months out. I love my decaf tea, too, either unsweetened or with Splenda.

Preop, I loved my decaf diet cokes. I have not tried these yet, not really ready too i don't think.

Good luck, listen to your body.  Everything changes, especially taste and desire of old favorite foods, after surgery.
 My  is Jewels.  Love her very much!            
hollyweasel
on 11/8/11 12:28 am - MI
hows it goin switch sis!?  feelin' better?

DS Surgery in Detroit Medical Center on 8/17/11.
Start Weight: 386 

hollyweasel
on 11/8/11 12:27 am - MI

My doc said no to coffee or pop.  The main reason he stated was that caffeine can sap calcium from your bones - and DS post-ops run low on calcium to begin with.  I wasn't a coffee drinker before the surgery, but  I was a Diet Coke addict.  I drank probably about 4-6 cans a day.  Since the surgery I have not wanted it since once while walking the halls a skinny woman in a gown started chatting with me and revealed she was in the hospital because her addiction to pop post-op created a series of painful ulcers.

You won't get caffeine in the hospital, but you will be so hyped up on delicious drugs you won't need it.  And then when you get out, the caffeine addition is gone! :)

DS Surgery in Detroit Medical Center on 8/17/11.
Start Weight: 386