Does anyone else's doctor say no to coffee?

KarenFlorida
on 11/6/11 9:56 am - Orlando, FL
My surgeon does not have a coffe restriction but I tapered down quite a bit on all caffeine before surgery just to avoid headaches from hell in the hospital. I started drinking it again a few weeks postop and had no problem.

Karen
Join me! weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi

Ms. Cal Culator
on 11/6/11 10:20 am, edited 11/6/11 10:21 am - Tuvalu

Gee...a Utah-based doctor who dosen't recommend coffee?  What a shock!  My wild-ass guess is that it has more to do with his personal beliefs than medicine.  Probably because my daughter once had a Muslim doctor who wouldn't write contraceptive Rxs for unmarried women.

People need to leave their **** at home when they go to work.  imho

ETA...Oh...and I once had a miscarriage that I--for my own reasons--decided to handle as a cash patient and not mention that I was married even though I was.  That "doctor"--whose church choir practice I had interrupted by having the miscarriage when I did--was VERY stingy with pain meds and VERY generous with lectures on "even God's birds know to feather their nests before having young"  lectures also had HIS agenda.  Asshole.

zuzupetals2u2
on 11/6/11 10:25 am - Sedona, AZ
Coffee did irritate my stomach at first so I quit it until many months later. I was hesitant to even start again as I had always heard coffee was dehydrating and that for every cup we drank we had to include an extra cup oif liquid to our diet. Being I wasn't a big water drinker and now needed 8 cups a day I figured it wasn't worth it. But I do have a cup or two pretty regularly now and it is ok. I use heavy cream and an artificial sweetener Suzanne Somers sells. I never liked to use artificial sweeteners but now realize sugar is the enemy.

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 11/6/11 10:58 am
I was given the green light to drink coffee, after a couple of weeks, but only if it didn't irritate my stomach after testing a small amount. IT did turn out to burn my poor tummy, and strangely I don't care for coffee as much as I used to (though I wasn't really into coffee too much before).
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

kahlana
on 11/6/11 10:13 pm - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
My surgeon said no coffee as well. I stepped down from regular to decaff to herbal tea and now only have a cup or 2 of regular on occasion. It irritates my stomach now and I havent even had surgery yet. Stepping down from regular over the course of month helped me not get headaches. Now I get them if I drink more than 2 cups of regular coffee. Go figure.
fullhousemom
on 11/6/11 11:31 pm
My primary care physician who I have seen for years and my DS surgeon have both told me no coffee.  They both recommend green tea.  I never listened to my PCP, but when my DS surgeon told me to give up the coffee AND the diet coke, I listened and gave them both up.  I haven't had either since mid-September.  I was never a black coffee drinker.....I loved the french vanilla flavoring.  Actually, I attribute that little bottle of flavored creamer as the reason I gained so much weight over the last eight years!  My DS surgeon loosened up and told me I could have one very small cup, but I've managed without it, and don't want to add the creamer back into my diet.
Ms. Cal Culator
on 11/7/11 1:43 am - Tuvalu
On November 7, 2011 at 7:31 AM Pacific Time, fullhousemom wrote:
My primary care physician who I have seen for years and my DS surgeon have both told me no coffee.  They both recommend green tea.  I never listened to my PCP, but when my DS surgeon told me to give up the coffee AND the diet coke, I listened and gave them both up.  I haven't had either since mid-September.  I was never a black coffee drinker.....I loved the french vanilla flavoring.  Actually, I attribute that little bottle of flavored creamer as the reason I gained so much weight over the last eight years!  My DS surgeon loosened up and told me I could have one very small cup, but I've managed without it, and don't want to add the creamer back into my diet.

Tea is a no-no for those who develop calcium oxalate kidney stones post-op.
(deactivated member)
on 11/7/11 1:25 am - Bayonne, NJ
I was off coffee for about 2 months post surgery. Now I am back to it. Nothing says morning like a hot cup.
butercup
on 11/7/11 1:31 am - Kennewick, WA
Nope, I could have it. Although, I would warn against caffeine. It leaches calcium from your bones and can block absorption of iron. Two things we really need.
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 11/7/11 2:23 am
 Oddly, I was given coffee and tea with a pitcher of hot milk post op. No solids, just lots of coffee, tea, milk and coconu****er.  I found that particularly odd since so many of us have trouble with milk post op, as did I.