small pouch but huge stoma opening

Toy T.
on 11/4/11 5:27 am
DS on 02/22/12
Hi all,

So still in CT without power but coming back from my upper gi. So I have a small gastric pouch but widely patent G-J anastomosis. He said he sees why I gained weight bc all food passes right through me. He said I will never stay full. So my question is how will Dr. Roslins view this in regards to revision to DS. I passed cardio work up yday. I had my ct scan of abdomen and pelvic last friday. I see dr. Roslin next friday with my mom; who is fully on board, and want to know what stretched stoma means in regards to revision.
Frankie
on 11/4/11 5:48 am - NY
Hi Toya,

I had the same issues as you along with hypoglycemia.  Roslin wanted to make sure that my pouch could be taken down and reconstructed to the sleeve (I revised to DS).  So far I have had no problems and at 1 month post-op I am down 30lbs.

What are you planning to revise to?

Frankie

Toy T.
on 11/4/11 6:14 am
DS on 02/22/12
Hi Frankie,

I am trying to revise from bypass to ds. Cardiologist said I should be fine from cardio stand point bc they even did ECHO and I passed with flying colors. GI said he sees why I am seeking revision and he agrees with my decision. I now know why I am always hungry no matter what.

Congrats on weight loss. When they showed me pic I was like what is that. Lol I love the doctors at Mt. Kisco Medical Group. They are beyond friendly.
Frankie
on 11/4/11 7:14 am - NY
 Great! Next stop revision. Good luck on your appt next week. Let us know how it goes.

Frankie

Toy T.
on 11/4/11 8:04 am
DS on 02/22/12
Thanks Frankie,

Now I am cold but feeling better about this. Do you know what causes the stoma to become enlarged? All this time I thoughtI had stretched my pouch but that wasnt it. I wish I could upload pic but only so much you can do on phone.
(deactivated member)
on 11/4/11 5:53 am
Sounds like an indication for revision to me -- especially if your large stoma means you are eating unlimited quantities, dumping excessively, or experiencing reactive hypoglycemia.  Hope all goes well with your appointment with Dr. Roslin.  
Toy T.
on 11/4/11 6:19 am
DS on 02/22/12
Oh I am eating unlimited quantities and never feel full even if its all protein. I dump but not frequently and have had multiple episodes of reactive hypoglycemia. I seriously thought I was dying bc I had no idea of what was going on.

Thanks for your encouragement. I can't wait until my appt
LosingSally
on 11/4/11 4:15 pm
The term widely patent simply means open and unobstructed.
I had a scope of my pouch, and got the same basic report " widely patent anastomosis. However, the opening was about the size of a nickle, and the pouch was as expected.
A nickle is .88 of an inch. Very small. Usually a stoma starts at about dime size, that's about .74 of an inch.
If he also mentioned the size being quarter sized ( or bigger) which is about an inch, that would mean there is some stretching of the stoma. If you are having difficulty maintaining or losing weight, this may be grounds for a revised surgery.
Best wishes.
Shavonne P.
on 11/4/11 11:03 pm
When do you follow up with Roslin again? Mt Kisco is great.  I remember when I started having my reflux issues shortly post op and Roslin sent me for an upper GI, I could not believe how friendly the staff was. 
Nothing feels better than being able to go into ANY store and fit their clothes!
Toy T.
on 11/4/11 11:36 pm
DS on 02/22/12
I go on Friday, November 10 to see him to see if he will take Me on as a patient. He wanted to know what he was working with so I had to go get some procedures at Northern Westchester Hospital and then saw Dr. Lee and Dr. Leonard at Mt. Kisco Medical. I am hoping and prayinghe will take Me on and I can have my revision soon.

Wtg on weight loss.