Bounceback Weight w/DS- Due to Decrease of Restriction or Decrease of Malabsorption?

kirmy
on 11/4/11 7:21 am - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
THAT IS HEALTH FOOD!

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.
Elizabeth N.
on 11/4/11 7:45 am - Burlington County, NJ
My point exactly!

duncans
on 11/4/11 1:26 am
I am almost 5 yr post DS. I have not, as yet, experienced bounceback. My first 3 yrs post DS happened to coincide with several injuries to my L leg and foot significantly limiting my activity. While I am still not a very active person, my weight drops with increased activity.
I have a hard time pushing protein without also increasing carbohydrates. Pure protein is difficult for me to want to eat. Something I have to work at.

I like your phrase "a unique and delicate snowflake..." I may have to borrow that.

Larissa P.
on 11/4/11 3:46 am - Denton, TX
I'm looking forward to some bounceback (10 pounds or so) as I feel really really bony right now.
Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB
Chad M.
on 11/4/11 3:53 am - Indianapolis, IN
"All of the above" is my answer as well. In your situation I would be extremely apprehensive about a resleeve, as it sounds like you are. The revision from VSG to DS is so straightforward (in capable hands) without a resleeve, and the chance of leaks, strictures, and whatever else is so high with a repeat operation on the stomach, that I just wouldn't want to chance it.

FWIW your capacity sounds fine to me. There is a difference between what I can eat and what I do eat. I am satisfied with about half (maybe a bit more) of what I ate pre-op, I would say. I could eat more but it would be very uncomfortable to do so. If you read Dr. Husted's contributions to this site you will see that he says that eventually, a DS'er will eat about half to two-thirds of pre-op amounts.

In the end, restriction is probably the least important of the three components of this surgery (malabsorption and metabolic changes being the first two). Without the very tight pre-op restriction I would expect you to lose more slowly, as most revisions do, but long-term results are the key.