APPROVED!!!

YeahItsCase
on 11/4/11 11:01 am
I first attempted an approval in the first week of August and was denied..Dr. Stewarts office and Kathleen (the insurance lady is what I call her) worked them for 2+ months (trying before they appealed) and I just found out today that I was APPROVED!!!

I think my date will be December 7th and I am just freakin' out! It just doesn't seem real. I am trying not to second guess my decision..I would be lying if I said I wasn't afraid of the bowel issues and smells and the vitamin regimen, etc. I don't want this surgery now to affect my personal life later (smell wise) but I have done a LOT of reading and I know that for the most part, you all say it is controllable. 

Thoughts:

I am not good at swallowing pills and I had a horrible anxiety episodes as a kid stemming from a choking incident. I haven't quite figured out how I will tackle that yet. I have gotten a lot better but my giant multi that I take now is a problem. I cut it in half and still have had issues. Are there chewable calciums? I have heard people say that those are huge pills too.

I am excited to be healthy..nervous because I am only 23 and I just hope there are no bad long-term effects of this surgery..i know there are vets 10+ years out but they seemed to be a bit older than me when they got the surgery. Do we know how this could effect me 40+ years from now?

Anyway..the positives outweigh the negatives. I know that while the VSG would leave me with a few less pills, etc..I am afraid of not making my goal weight or getting it all of OR gaining it back. I'd like to think my issue is honestly with how MUCH I eat and not always WHAT I eat..

I guess I just don't want my life AFTER my DS to just be filled with 'rules' or constant annoying routine or checklists..does that make sense? Oh, you've gotta drink more water..wait, lets take vitamin batch 3 or 6 now, oh I need a protein shake.. and believe me, I WILL do all of these things so no need to jump on me..I just hope it doesn't nag at me.

Okay..I am done worrying now. I am excited and nervous and excited all over again..it just doesn't seem real yet!

M. Miller
on 11/4/11 11:05 am
 So happy for you!   I cannot even imagine the emotions you are going through.   

Shona
orangecrushed
on 11/4/11 11:28 am - Triad, NC
Congrats on finally getting your approval!!

And you are going through the normal freak out session. :)  My date is on Dec. 9th, and I went through the same thoughts on the day I got my approval.  I was in disbelief, so I just kinda sat there for a while, letting it sink in... then I cried, laughed, called everyone I wanted to, freaked out, panic attacked, cried, laughed some more.

You'll be fine.  These things that you're worried about being "rules" are going to become so routine.  There are chewable versions of our pills.  I tried the chewable iron after hearing that the iron pills are huge.  Man, what a disgusting taste!  I'd rather choke down the capsules!

So, take some solace in the knowledge that your worries and concerns are valid.  I'm 33, and I wonder about the long term effects too... but I'll do anything to live a healthier, happier life than the one I have now.

Best of luck to you!!!

Nic
(deactivated member)
on 11/4/11 11:33 am
Congratulations on being approved!  As for post-DS life, you'll settle into a routine as far as supplements are concerned.  You'll also become adept at how different foods affect you.  Studies for DS in its present form go out about 2 decades at this point, so the 40+ years are unknown.   

You're going to do great!  Keep us posted!
Kayla B.
on 11/4/11 12:17 pm - Austin, TX
yesssssssss!
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Kathleen F.
on 11/4/11 12:21 pm

Congratulations!

There are chewable calciums, but you can also take liquid calcium, which I think would be easier than chewable. Or dissolve calcium in liquid and drink it. Or you can buy calcium capsules and empty it in a little yogurt and eat it.

determineddanni
on 11/4/11 2:51 pm
GRATS!!
teachmid
on 11/4/11 10:58 pm - OKC, OK
Great news!
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

larra
on 11/5/11 1:35 am - bay area, CA
Congratulations!

I can't swallow large pills either, so I use the chewable calcium citrate from Bariatric Advantage. You can either chew them on suck on them, and they don't taste bad, honest. You can purchase them either from BA or from Vitalady. They've been a lifesaver for me.

As far as rules go, let's consider the "rules" you are living with now, without even realizing it. You must shop at only certain stores (or on line, or specific catalogs) for your clothing. You must think carefully about where to sit every time you enter a restaurant. You get the idea. These rules have crept into your life slowly but surely. The new rules will hit you all at once, but in return you get a normal life. And honestly, the vitamin rules, while important, aren't difficult at all and you will get into a routine.

Larra
sandyv63
on 11/5/11 5:15 am, edited 11/5/11 5:16 am - Naples, FL
I'm less than a week away from my surgery (I fly out to CA tomorrow morning) so I understand the nerves. It's been one very long freak out session for me as I got my loan at the end of September and has to wait until November to get the surgery.  After fighting to get this surgery for almost three years, I was emotionally unprepared for the freak out session I had. I wanted this surgery so bad I thought I'd be over the moon once I managed to land the loan I needed (my diot insurance has a WLS clause.)  I thought I'd never be able to get it and that really upset me. Then one day I got the loan, got the best doc around and instead of being overjoyed (well, maybe for a NY minute), I just got really scared. I suppose it is normal but I am not the chicken type (well, til now.) Actually, my real concern is the nausea. Anesthesia makes me really nauseous and so do narcotics. This is a nausea inducing surgery. I am so screwed...

I have been taking a large amount of vitamins for years so the vite schedule does not concern me. Carlsson's has some decent tasting chewable calcium citrate wafers that don't seem to bind me up. I also managed to find smaller Magnesium citrate pills from NOW vitamins. The Magnesium citrate I usually get from Swansons is the mother of all horsepills and I knew they wouldn't go down. The NOW brand of course is a smaller dose but I'd rather take two or three smaller pills than one huge horsepill that won't likely make it down anyway.  I think that no matter how much we try to take care of prior to the surgery, some things will just have to be figured out as we go.