Fructose is BAD! (Learnings from a Las Vegas Lecture)

Tinabean
on 11/1/11 12:14 pm - MN
Wow--this is great information! Thank you for sharing!
lauralisi
on 11/1/11 12:16 pm - Dona Ana, NM
Thank you for your concise synopsis of much-needed info.  slim-you the MAN!!!!!
(deactivated member)
on 11/1/11 12:22 pm
Hi Doc!

I can be a bit slow, but I'm kinda confused here.  

The post starts off talking about "High Fructose Corn Syrup" (I know it's bad), but then converts to talking about "Fructose".  I thought they were two different things, HFCS being a artificial additive whereas Fructose is a natural sugar, typically found in plants and berries and more often presenting as a component of sucrose due to modifications in plant breeding techniques.

Can you clarify or are they to be treated as one in the same?

(deactivated member)
on 11/1/11 1:06 pm
On November 1, 2011 at 7:22 PM Pacific Time, AuntLolly wrote:
Hi Doc!

I can be a bit slow, but I'm kinda confused here.  

The post starts off talking about "High Fructose Corn Syrup" (I know it's bad), but then converts to talking about "Fructose".  I thought they were two different things, HFCS being a artificial additive whereas Fructose is a natural sugar, typically found in plants and berries and more often presenting as a component of sucrose due to modifications in plant breeding techniques.

Can you clarify or are they to be treated as one in the same?

Fructose is a naturally-occurring sugar, but is metabolized differently via the liver because of its chemical structure.  It is 1.73 times sweeter than sucrose.  

Sucrose = one glucose + one fructose.

High fructose corn syrup 55 (HFCS 55) is the most common syrup used in sodas.  It is 55% fructose and 42% glucose (so it has a higher percentage of fructose than even sucrose).  It's so cheap to produce because the government subsidizes corn growers.  

Glucose:  C6H12O6

Fructose:  also C6H12O6,  but a 5-sided ring and a 3-dimensional molecule.

Sucrose:

(deactivated member)
on 11/2/11 1:13 am
Ah, I get it.  Sorry, I missed the third or fourth line when reading.  Makes sense now!
zuzupetals2u2
on 11/1/11 12:27 pm - Sedona, AZ
I was just coming back to ask for clarification on that too- isn't fructose also in FRUITS?

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

M. Miller
on 11/1/11 8:59 pm
 Oh yay...fodder for my husband.  I knew our bodies metabolized fructose differently, and I knew it was bad.  For years I have been scrounging labels  so as not to buy ketchup, dressing, snacks, beverages etc that contains high fructose corn syrup.  I even started making my own bread, (complete with grinding my own wheat...its usually all or nothing with me) and canning my own tomatoes  because in the beginning I could not find a decent bread or spaghetti sauce without it....This is good info and looking forward to the peer reviewed article to come out.   My husband thinks I am crazy and overreacting...
Elizabeth N.
on 11/1/11 11:52 pm - Burlington County, NJ
MMMMMMMM. Bread from fresh ground whole wheat oh HEAVENLY. Sourdough or yeast?

M. Miller
on 11/2/11 12:07 am
It is heavenly.  My kids who are now 10 and 7 won't touch store bought bread (this includes subway rolls....they are a little spoiled)  after 5 years of this stuff...its yeast bread.   MAjority of the time I make a honey whole whea and through in some freshly ground flax seed...soooo yummy...especuially fresh and hot out of the oven.  I used to do it by hand but  when they started school I had to break down and buy a bread machine beacause I would have to make it on Sunday and Wednesday in order to meet the needs of 4 people packing lunches most days.    I use the breadmachine to do all the work except baking..I still bake it in the oven.  Upside to bread machine, my 10 year old daughter no makes the bread on Wednesday after school...I get home just in time to throw it in the oven.....now I am hungry...
Elizabeth N.
on 11/2/11 1:21 am - Burlington County, NJ
Marvelous. I used to make all our bread, too, but now that I can eat so little of it, it's not worth the effort. My husband just wants the cheapest possible option, so his tastebuds are not terribly refined in that way LOL. He loved having homemade bread, but not THAT much.