"Unrealistic Expectations"? Slam me if I'm having them...

Twyla S.
on 10/31/11 7:29 am - Chattanooga, TN
 Great idea....makes perfect sense actually.  I'm going to ask the dentist about how it would be to do before the surgery.  Plus, I'm not real clear on how long those temp plates would last.  I wanted to have my teeth pulled before really, but if it don't work out that way....well, life's not fair sometimes.  LOL  I figured I'd need good teeth to make sure I chew my food good enough once I'm able to eat solid foods.

Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself. ~Harvey Fierstein
Fade2Pink
on 11/1/11 7:31 am - Salt Lake City, UT
I enjoyed your post and think you are darn close on most of the topics...the sleep apnea and diabetes - no for sure's there, but good chances....

I did want to say that I felt that I knew what I was getting into before my surgery, I had read and made lists and thought I knew how things would go...I have to say though that everything, EVERYTHING flew out the window after surgery.  It's like they removed my DS knowledge right along with 80% of my stomach or something!  Just be prepared to feel totally unprepared...at least for awhile....
Duodenal Switch 4/29/09
Loving my DS!!

ChristyTal
on 11/1/11 7:38 am
Great post, you are right on. 

Only thing I'd say is no way would I consider an open procedure just to avoid a little gas pain after surgery.  Less overall pain, less risk of infection, no huge scar.  If you can do it lap, do it lap!!!!!!

Ms. Cal Culator
on 11/1/11 8:10 am - Tuvalu
On November 1, 2011 at 2:38 PM Pacific Time, ChristyTal wrote:
Great post, you are right on. 

Only thing I'd say is no way would I consider an open procedure just to avoid a little gas pain after surgery.  Less overall pain, less risk of infection, no huge scar.  If you can do it lap, do it lap!!!!!!

The flip side of that coin is that there's no way I'd consider a LAP procedure...and the extra time it takes for the surgery, being under anesthesia and having more potential for rhabdomyolysis...just to avoid a little scar.  

My sister just had Lap VSG three weeks ago and she's allergic to the glue and that caused a reaction and now she will have five permanently stained scars uglier than her c-section scars. 

Plusses and minuses on both sides...
ChristyTal
on 11/3/11 12:26 am
I see what you are saying.  My surgery only took 2.5 hours, so I never thought of that as taking longer than an open procedure. 

Ms. Cal Culator
on 11/3/11 1:39 am - Tuvalu

Mine was an open band-to-DS revision and took under two hours.  But SOME POEPLE, especially on revisions, have really lengthy surgeries.

We've had a couple here who ended up with rhabdo and it was brutal.
kahlana
on 11/2/11 12:41 am - Sitka, AK
VSG on 01/26/12
Twyla,
I love your post. And I'm with you on the smoking thing. I'm ready to get duct-taped to a chair in a padded room until its over and done with as well. Either that or cart my butt out to a deserted island somewhere and leave me for a month. I dont love my smoking but I can't seem to get past a certain point. I am doing Welbutrin, hypnosis, the lozenges and the inhalers to get rid of it. I'm also in therapy to make sure I can cope without them. The inhalers help with the hand/mouth thing when i remember to grab it first and not the cigs. It doesn't help that my partner smokes too. I know we can do this. If we can sit here and make a life altering decision to have weight loss surgery and then jump through all of the hoops to get it done we can quit smoking too.

I am also reading and doing everything I can to get ready. I am having my DS open not because I'm worried about gas or anything but because I have had 5 different lap surgeries and my surgeon has advised it due to all the adhesions from the other surgeries. I am also requesting a longer common channel because at this point I'm a lightweight (only have to lose 118 pounds to be where I want to be) and I don't want to worry about having to struggle to not lose too much.) I am already taking vitamins so that I am in the habit before hand. And i changed my diet to be more protein focused and less carb focused. I was so bad about carbs. Love my pasta and potatoes.
Anyway, I just wanted you to know you are not alone on the smoking thing and trying to set realistic expectations for life after the surgery. Hang in there! We will get through this.
Imissthe80s
on 11/10/11 5:11 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
Twyla- This is driving me crazy, have you heard anything from the insurance company yet??????

Twyla S.
on 11/10/11 5:38 am - Chattanooga, TN
 LOL....Just screwed up my courage and called my doc to see if they had sent the out of network referral that has been requested....they said they "believed" so.  Soooo, I just this minute sent an email to see if it had indeed been sent, and if so, why don't I know anything yet.  When I DO hear something, break out the straight jacket, a double shot marguarita, and the thorazine shots.......

Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself. ~Harvey Fierstein
Imissthe80s
on 11/10/11 5:56 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
 That little guardian angel is for you, Twyla, and some hugs.