Confused want to go from Lapland to DS

lovy19
on 10/30/11 3:11 am, edited 10/30/11 3:36 am
 Hi sandy,

I was interested in Dr. Roslin until I looked at the reasons for revision, idk if my band slipped or anything I just know if I eat it gets stuck a lot and I'll throw up, haven't had a fill in years because I got tired of being sick with it and without the fill,so to be honest idk what's going on with this band all I k ow is the only thing that can stay down is the bad things.  Maybe he will deny the revision but on the site at mount Sinai they stated revision if the band is not working or if the desired weight loss has not been met, so idk what to do or which doctor would even look at me, and if they do will they need to speak to my prior surgeon? I hope not he is very arrogant :(. I just want to live again, i dontt want to die of diabetes or high blood pressure, my mom Is I the hospital now because of her diabetes, my two sisters suffer with diabetes and my aunt died from it.  Im so afraid I will not get the help I need to overcome this battle.  
lovy19
on 10/30/11 4:39 am
 Hello everyone I was reading reviews on Dr Paresh shah at Lenox hospital and I like what the people are saying about him.  From what I gather he is not arrogant or trying to push a surgery on people, that's exactly the kind of doctor I am seeking.  Im going to contact him tomorrow and take it from there.  
sandyv63
on 10/30/11 9:10 am - Naples, FL
Dr. Roslin wouldn't deny you unless you had a condition that made more surgery dangerous. In that case, no decent doctor would do it. Dr. Roslin and Dr. Pomp (at NY Hospital Cornell) are the two go-to docs for revisions in NY as they have the most experience. If you read the past posts on this forum, and there are lots of them, you will see the same advice given: always go to an experienced doctor. This is no simple surgery and you need and deserve the best. A revision is more complicated so there is even more reason to look for an experienced surgeon. I mean one who has LOTS of experience with revisions.  I am sure the Roslin/Pomp advocates will chime in soon enough. If Dr. Roslin were not highly regarded, you'd hear about it on this forum. If you've never heard of a doc on this forum, there's a reason for that  as well. As a revision, you do not want to be one of the first few patients the surgeon performs the revision on. You want experience. Look through the old posts on this forum and you will see why.  Recently we had a revision patient go with an inexperienced surgeon and she is no longer here to participate on the boards. This is serious and complicated  surgery.  Get the revision done by the best surgeon you can find and you will be very happy with your results.

I have to tell you that most people have to travel for this surgery. I am not a revision but I am going across the country to get my surgery with Dr. Keshishian, arguably the best, most experienced surgeon in the country. You are so fortunate to have 2 excellent docs a subway ride away. If I still lived in NY, I would be going to Dr. Roslin (and saving a boatload of cash on travel.)
sandyv63
on 10/30/11 9:16 am - Naples, FL
I forgot to mention that the doc you are planning to see at Lenox Hill works with Dr. Roslin. He is a band advocate though so keep that in mind. Don't be surprised if you get referred to Dr. Roslin. I'm not saying he will definitely send you to Dr. Roslin, but since revisions are Dr. Roslin's specialty, it wouldn't surprise me. Regardless, you are in good hands at Lenox Hill. 
lovy19
on 10/30/11 11:48 am
 Sandy your post touched me and to be honest you are absolutely correct I will cut through the middle man and contact dr Roslin in the morning I just pray he dont say I'm not that heavy or the other crap my other surgeon said.  I just can't tolerate ****y doctors that basically are deaf on the ears of their patients requests. 240 pounds with a BMI of 40.0 and a band that is not working I think is candidate. That past experience has me terrified.  I will keep the forum updated. Sorry for all the posts but I need as much advice as possible.  Once again thank you all for the continued feedback.
sandyv63
on 10/30/11 12:28 pm - Naples, FL
I weigh between 229-234 on any given day and  I am 5' 3 1/2. I had no problem getting approved. You meet the requirement for this surgery, period. Dr. Roslin is not going to tell you otherwise.

Your other surgeon is not a DS surgeon and his surgery did not work for you. Doctor's are never wrong. He went to medical school so he can't be wrong; therefore it was all your fault and that's why nothing else will help you. That's what your surgeon thinks but it's total nonsense. However, he needs to believe this so he can continue doing what he does. You, however, are the victim of a lousy surgery and a lousy surgeon who has no experience with the DS and is probably threatened by it since he does not do it. You are responsible for your health so don't let a surgeon who is somewhat clueless tell you what is best for you. You go get that second opinion and  get the surgery that will not only  extend your life but improve it as well.You deserve no less. Good luck to you and be proud that you have the courage to stand up and take responsibility for yourself. You'd be amazed at how many people in your cir****tances would just give up. It takes determination to demand more so good for you for realizing you have allternatives. 

Keep us informed and tell us how it goes. Other newbies in similar cir****tances will be encouraged by your journey so don't be afraid to tell us how things develop for you.
lovy19
on 10/30/11 10:38 pm
 Hi sandy,

Thank you so much for your kind words.  I am counting down the time so that I can call doctor Roslin at 9 am, I have Half hour to go.  I dont want any problems so I changed my Medicaid insurance back to hip Medicaid because their Approval rate is better than AMerigroup which I have now.  I will find out what insurance doctor Roslin take I just pray he take a planned Medicaid coverage.  I will keep the forum updated.  This forum has given me so much hope.  Thank you all.
lovy19
on 10/31/11 6:22 am
 Hi sandy I called Lenox hospital and they were amazingly nice.  I told them what insurance I have and that I switched it back to hip Medicaid they stated perfect because they accept hip Medicaid but not the one that I currently have.  The Downside is the switch won't go through until dec 1 but in the mean time they set me up to go to a required seminar for tomorrow, they state I must go to the seminar before I can see dr Roslin which is fine since I can't see him until dec 1.  They also stated I need to get my Lapband record from the surgeon so I will get that while im waiting and also go to my pcp because I will need a referral From him to see the surgeon.  The wait is gonna kill me but things are looking better today.
sandyv63
on 10/31/11 7:31 am - Naples, FL
Well good for you! I am happy to hear Dr. Roslin will accept your insurance. If you can get your surgery this year I'd say that's amazing. I fought almost three years to get mine and my insurance denied me so I have to self pay. The loan is going to hurt but I am so underemployed right now that I am hopeful within 6 months I can find a suitable job that will pay at least $10K more (even though with my education I should easily get another $20K.)  That will relieve the financial stress somewhat. In 6 months I should be close to goal so at least I won't have to worry about my weight keeping me from getting a job I am qualified for.  Employers are really biased against overweight people and while I am considered a lightweight (just like you), I feel it still prevents me from getting a really good job. If you can get your surgery in December, and I am not saying you can but it would be fantastic if that happened, you will be close to goal by summer and really enjoying life. I think winter is a great time to lose the weight.

Good luck and keep us updated on your journey.
lovy19
on 10/31/11 8:19 am
 Hi sandy, may I ask what insurance did you have and also what was their reason for denying you?  If they deny me on hip Medicaid I'm going to keep fighting I pray I do t go through that. I was trying to locate people on this site with hip Medicaid to see how long it took them to get approved for this type of surgery.  I would love to get my surgery this winter and am going to make sure. Get whatever documents I need and comply with whatever they ask to speed the process up