Lots of drainage

prettypixels
on 10/28/11 12:11 am
 So the spot where I had my jp drain (they removed it yesterday before I left) is still draining like CRAZY.  I keep soaking through bandages.  Gross, right?  Dr. said as long as it is not bright red blood or yellow pus, it is fine.    It looks exactly the same as the fluid that was filling up the drain, so I think it's fine.  I just cannot figure out the best way to bandage the site!  Right now I have a drain bandage folded over it with a big adhesive bandage on top of that.  They soak through so quickly.  And removing the adhesive so much is killing my tummy.

Anyone have any suggestions for making this a bit easier?  I would very much appreciate it!
Banded in 2001 at 217 lbs - Band to DS revision 10/25/11 at 310 lbs
If life with your band sucks, you are not alone and it's not your fault.  Check out the failed lap band group!

Elizabeth N.
on 10/28/11 12:14 am - Burlington County, NJ
Sounds normal. What I did was to plop sanitary pads over drippy places, sometimes two together, and hold them down with just a couple strips of tape.

prettypixels
on 10/28/11 12:17 am
 That is a really good idea!  Thank you!  That is just what I was looking for!!!  

If life with your band sucks, you are not alone and it's not your fault.  Check out the failed lap band group!

Elizabeth N.
on 10/28/11 12:21 am - Burlington County, NJ
Maxipads have many wonderful uses. Try adhering them to your socks (AFTER you've recovered) for floor dusting purposes, for example.

prettypixels
on 10/28/11 12:37 am
 Ha!  And the comic relief!  :) 

Renfairewench
on 10/28/11 1:54 am
Yes...EN is wise.

Sanitary pads work well.
The cheap ones that are thick seem to soak up more ick I have found rather than the thin ones.
Also, there are thick guazes called sponges that you can get at rite aid or CVS. Use a couple of them.

Don't worry, the draining will slow and stop. Better out than in though, trust me.

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

teachmid
on 10/28/11 3:14 am - OKC, OK
Maxi pads.......I went through a lot after surgery for all the draining holes. Never thought they'd heal, but they did.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

RKLC2002
on 10/28/11 3:59 am - Omaha, NE
I had my surgery on Oct 14, so I know exactly what you're talking about.  I ended up taking a femine pad and putting it over the whole and I would change it twice a day.   When the pads didn't seem as soaked, I switched to loosely covered gauze.  I think it took about 5-7 days of doing that.   Good luck.  I know, I was scared at how much it was draining as well, but it was OK.

5' 10"    HW= 327   SW=319 lbs        CW=200  (lowest was 180)    GW=170

No regrets with my DS!!!  

Open DS with Dr. Anthone  - October 14, 2011
Ventral Hernia repair/panniculectomy/hysterectomy - Nov 2012; 
Bowel Blockage due to hysterectomy and adhesions - Feb 2013;
Ventral Hernia repair with mesh - Dec 2013

beth-28
on 10/28/11 7:21 am
Tape will tear up your skin quickly. I have the same problem. Would it be feasible to keep the maxi-pad in place with an ace bandage? I've done that before because even paper tape will mess with my skin if I have to keep re-taping over and over again.
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

pktwatch
on 10/28/11 8:13 am
That's exactly what I did. I came home with a band around my belly, I would just put a couple of pads under the band. One of my drains kept going for a week.

Switched 9/21/2011 By Dr. Inman
HW    368
SW    328
CW    180

GW 180 (or less to get to a normal BMI)