Don't know if I'm a DS revision candidate? (currently sleeved)

califsleevin
on 10/28/11 1:12 am - CA
Check out dsfacts.com, where they have the list of vetted DS surgeons. Unfortunately, I think that there is only one in Mexico, so the other popular non-US self-pay options are Dr. Baltasar in Spain or Dr. Marchesini in Brazil.

You are well to get this done as soon as you can. I know when I was discussing these options with Dr. Rabkin in making my DS/VSG decisions he told me that the best results for the second stage or VSG-revision DS comes from doing it early rather than waiting until all of the weight, or more, has been re-gained.

I would agree with the others that the DS seems to be the option for you since your problem is regain (which the DS is good at resisting) rather than insufficient loss. If you can no longer get the metabolic kick from the intense exercise then you need it from the DS and you will likely continue to have regain problems even if a simple re-sleeve got your weight back down again.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

inkedandsleeved
on 10/29/11 4:46 am
 Yeah, I'm looking into getting DS in January if poss.
The info you guys have given me in here has already springboarded my process, so many good links and started convos with docs.
My preference is for both affordable and good. lol. looks like I might be going out of the country, but there was something Diana Cox posted a while ago about a wellknown DS surgeon doing a self-pay discount to get hours in a new hospital.

We'll see!

thakns again
Krazydoglady
on 10/28/11 3:54 am - FL

I'm a little surprised you dont' have much restriction. Your surgeon has a very good reputation and is known for small sleeves.

If I can't maintain my loss with just my sleeve, I can assure you will be in a DS surgeon's office forthwith. DS would be tough for me as I have 'issues' with supplements, but given the familial risk factors I have i'd have to make it work. I have great restriction when I eat dense food, though, and I've not had the 'white knuckle' experience you did.  I'm also 5'3", and my sleeve was done with a 36f bougie.

Having said that, if I was in your position,  I would do whatever I could to stop or slow the weight regain ahead of getting switched.  I would go back to VSG basics  --  journaling food and keeping carbs below 40, eating dense protein first then veggies, waiting an hour after eating to drink, exercising as much as you can, etc., to leave less work for the switch to do. 

Carolyn  (32 lbs lost Pre-op) HW: 291, SW: 259, GW: 129.5, CW: 126.4 

newyorkbitch
on 10/28/11 6:27 am
This is not a "revision."  You just need the DS part.  Any (good, experienced) DS surgeon can do this.

inkedandsleeved
on 10/29/11 4:47 am
 Thanks for this info. It makes my search and inquiries go a lot faster!
gak
on 10/28/11 12:56 pm
Revision on 06/21/13

Many good points in the thread.  If you are considering out of the country, don't forget Dr Antelmo. He does lap and has a great reputation.

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

inkedandsleeved
on 10/29/11 4:47 am
 Just joined his yahoogroup to get some more info on him. thanks!