Very Dry Mouth at Night.......

pktwatch
on 10/27/11 12:02 pm
For some reason I seem to get very dried out at night. I wake up with my mouth so dry and stuck together and my tongue feels like sandpaper. I keep a cup of water in on the nightstand. I am on a bi-pap machine with 2 liters of oxygen at night and I use a water infusion with the oxygen. I am getting at least 64oz of water a day, some days it is 80oz. It was no where near this bad before my surgery and  wonder if it has anything to do with the surgery or if it could be one on the stomach meds that I was put on after the surgery. I am on Carafate and Prilosec, did anyone else have these issues?

Switched 9/21/2011 By Dr. Inman
HW    368
SW    328
CW    180

GW 180 (or less to get to a normal BMI)

J G.
on 10/27/11 1:37 pm
My guess is the Carafate, but the Prilosec could contribute, too.  Talk to your pharmacist.  I have never been on Carafate.  If you get up at night to pee, drink as much as you can.
buffalobillsfan
on 10/27/11 1:59 pm - CA
Just a thought because I had this issue after I lost some weight....is your Bi-pap auto adjusting?  My settings were too high on my CPAP when I lost weight and it literally blew my mouth open so I was doing a lot of mouth breathing.  My husband would wake me up because the air blowing out my mouth was so loud. 

seekingsusan
on 10/27/11 3:34 pm - Livermore, CA
DS on 05/24/12
I agree with BuffaloBillsFan.

I've been on a C-Pap or Bi-Pap for 15 years and at many different weights. The ONLY time I wake up with a dry mouth is when my mouth has been open for some time during the night. This usually happens when my pressure needs adjusting. Given the amount of weight loss you've had, it wouldn't surprise me to find out your pressure needs adjusting. Sleeping with a machine at the wrong pressure is just as hard on your body as sleeping without one.

I can't say anything about the medications as I don't take those particular ones.

Good Luck,
S~

pktwatch
on 10/27/11 11:07 pm
Ohh, that is a good thought. I will contact my Dr about getting it adjusted, it is a old non adjusting one.

HW    368
SW    328
CW    180

Janet P.
on 10/27/11 11:18 pm
My c-pap had to be coninually adjusted after surgery until I finally didn't need it anymore - that took about 4-5 months (75-100 pounds lost).

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Elizabeth N.
on 10/27/11 11:35 pm - Burlington County, NJ
You just MIGHT be getting your mouth blown open by your BiPAP. Your weight loss might possibly have already changed your pressure needs.

Meds are always a possibility, the buggers. Hopefully you'll be off them before too long.

Keep pushing the fluids. Do you have a heated humidifier on your BiPAP in addition to the oxygen humidifier? That might help or it might make you feel like you're drowning. (I HATE my BiPAP humidifier for that reason, gives me drizzles when I use it.) 

You might try a mouth moisturizing spray or rinse. There are several different kinds available. Check the oral care area at your pharmacy. The grocery store version might not have it (though they should if they have denture care products--they tend to go together).

pktwatch
on 10/27/11 11:44 pm
I did not like my heated humidifier either so I got rid of it. I just called my Dr and they will set something up for me on Monday. That's why I love this site!!

HW    368
SW    328
CW    180

pktwatch
on 11/12/11 6:49 am, edited 11/12/11 6:55 am
I had a sleep test Thursday night. Your guys were correct, the tec said that I was blowing air out of my mouth and quit breathing several times throughout the night. She tried 2 different full face masks on me and I hated them + they did not seal well with my beard. Then she turned the pressure down and that did the trick. I have not talked to my Dr yet but I am assuming that he will order the pressure reduced.

HW    368
SW    328
CW    180