best website to give to friends

honeybadger 11
on 10/27/11 9:50 am - FL
I've been slowly telling my friends I work with that I will be out for several weeks and that im having WLS called DS. Some are quite interested and ive pointed them to dsfact.com and duodenalswitch.com. I like them both but the former seems to have a LOT of info and the latter falls a little short for me.

Is there a better place to find complete, BASIC layman info? Im glad that they are interested but i dont want their eyes to glaze over trying to understand what im doing:)

THANKS!

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

zuzupetals2u2
on 10/27/11 11:27 am - Sedona, AZ
I gave out dsfacts.com to people but I know it is a lot to digest and both my brother & sister that I hoped might understand after reading it actually became worried and skeptical but that's OK as I really just wanted them to know regardless.  I guess the next best is to just type out a letter to explain to those you want to know and make it simpler.

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

Twyla S.
on 10/27/11 11:50 am - Chattanooga, TN
 I've looked up the DS on about everything, and so far dsfacts.com had the most information for ME.  Of course, I was interested in haivng the DS, and sometimes I had to google something to dumb it down for me, when I didn't get it through my muddled brain.  

Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself. ~Harvey Fierstein
J G.
on 10/27/11 2:13 pm

If you like ZuZu's letter idea, I came up with this once when I needed a real short explanation. 

The DS removes part of the stomach, and bypasses most of the small intestines.  It does this by separating food and your digestive juices until the last approximately 100 cm of common channel (the place where food and digestive juices meet up).  When you separate food from digestive juices, you create malabsorbtion, of about 50 % of the protein and 80 % of the fat.  So in addition to having a smaller stomach, I can eat "normally" and still not regain weight because my body doesn’t absorb everything I eat. 

In a biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch, a portion of the stomach is removed and  the remaining stomach is still attached to the duodenum (the upper part of the small intestine). The duodenum is connected to the lower part of the small intestine.

zuzupetals2u2
on 10/27/11 2:49 pm - Sedona, AZ
and maybe you could include one of the diagrams from the dsfacts.com site and also a prelude about all your efforts to diet in your life and mention your comorbidities and also talk about the success rate of the DS compared to other surgeries.

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

Elizabeth N.
on 10/28/11 12:09 am - Burlington County, NJ
Dr. Keshishian's site www.dssurgery.com has nice explanations with cool pictures, including interactive comparisons of the various procedures.