Sleeve or DS - Can't decide

vickya
on 10/27/11 6:25 am
I am trying to decide to go with either the DS or the Sleeve.  I am leaning toward the Sleeve because I only want to lose 50-60 pounds.  I currently weigh 190.  I don't want to go down to 120s so I'm thinking if I went with the DS I might just do that.  What do you guys think?  Thank you.
newyorkbitch
on 10/27/11 7:16 am, edited 10/27/11 8:44 am
You are not a candidate for the DS.  You will lose weight with the sleeve but the hard part will be keeping it off longterm.
Elizabeth N.
on 10/27/11 8:31 am - Burlington County, NJ
You don't sound like a candidate for any WLS at all unless you are very petite. I would absolutely NOT recommend the DS for you at this time.

So what DO you want to lose if you don't want to go to the 120's?

This does not sound at all like a realistic foundation for moving forward with WLS.

honeybadger 11
on 10/27/11 9:35 am - FL
Is this a serious question? Even as a light weight you wouldnt qualify for the DS with a bmi of 32.9 . I have no idea what it takes to qualify for the sleeve but i would say the DS is NOT for you.

~Jennifer
Revision to DS 11/9/11                                  LapBand 12/2006
SW  321/ CW 248/ GW 185                           SW 330/ HW 348/ LW 300
Join me here: http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com

Twyla S.
on 10/27/11 11:55 am - Chattanooga, TN
 REALLY???  Not trying to be mean, but geeeeesh...50 lbs?

Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself. ~Harvey Fierstein
MsBatt
on 10/27/11 1:18 pm
Your profile says you're planning a revision. Which form of WLS do you currently have, and why do you think it's broken? Do you have any co-morbidities? How much weight have you lost with your current form of WLS?

We can't help you without a LOT more info.
Larissa P.
on 10/28/11 12:48 am - Denton, TX
Definitely sleeve at that weight. DS is extremely aggressive. You will have to change eating habits, though, the sleeve isn't going to make bad things you ingest go away.
Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB
(deactivated member)
on 10/28/11 4:20 am

Revision from what?  LapBand?  RNY?

Your BMI is too low for the DS.  If you're a RNY, then your stomach would have to be reconstructed then excised.  That's a lot of surgery for a VSG (Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy), which is the top half of the DS. 

I would say have a really long conversation with your surgeon, to see how much internal reconstructive work is going to be necessary for the sleeve.  I can't call it, really.

The DS could take you way underweight, at your starting point. 

50-60 pounds is like 5 pounds to someone like me, who used to weigh 405.