Hibernation Mode (Advice for newbies)

Mandy B.
on 10/27/11 6:25 am - ID
Thanks Maddie! I love reading through all the posts on this board...

Your information is very helpful. I just seem to get really stressed when it comes to being able to take care of my children.

I might have to arrange an "on call" friend for particularly rough hibernation days.

Thanks a bunch!

newyorkbitch
on 10/27/11 11:34 am
Mandy you are going to need help for sure - you need to arrange it ahead of time.  You will not be able to lift your kids for 6 weeks after surgery.  And for the first couple of weeks you will need help round the clock,  and probably after that during the day with your kids....be prepared.

Mandy B.
on 10/27/11 11:52 am - ID
I don't want to hijack this thread....but, is the 6 week lifting restriction pretty standard as far as surgeons go? Or, does it vary depending on surgeon and type (as in open or lap)?

newyorkbitch
on 10/27/11 11:56 am
It's standard,  and it's mandatory.  Your insides are going to be rearranged.  You cannot take the risk.

If your 5 month old is going to be let's say 8 months or something like that...crawling and teething, etc....you are not going to be able to take care of her by yourself for weeks after surgery.  You won't be able to even lift her.

You have to have help all the time, or else get her into a daycare for a couple of months after your surgery.  And running after the almost-4-year-olds....you are going to be sore and exhausted and struggling just to get enough fluid in.  And what if you have any issues/problems/complications?  You have to arrange child care ahead of time.

This is no joke - you have to plan ahead.

Mandy B.
on 10/27/11 12:06 pm - ID
I appreciate your info...I've never used daycare but I have a friend who has an in-home daycare that I could arrange something with. My husband just mentioned that he could do some work from home too. I'm glad I have some time to prepare. Thanks for the heads up!

momx4
on 10/26/11 11:59 pm - TX
Thanks so much!
Kristi                
Kristen R.
on 10/27/11 1:01 am
Thank you for posting this!  I'm 5 weeks out and this post hit the nail on the head!  Thank you for taking the time to further educate us newbies!
Twyla S.
on 10/27/11 3:23 am - Chattanooga, TN
 So I'll feel pretty much like I do now?  LOL  I've bookmarked this as a reminder afterwards.  I'm a bear anyway, and like my own company most times.  NEVER have energy, but my body is just tired of carrying the weight I suppose.

I like to be prepared, so thanks for the post.....I've read it to my husband and son, so they'll know what else to expect from my bipolar ass....

Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself. ~Harvey Fierstein
Renfairewench
on 10/27/11 5:22 am
Ya know Twyla, wait till you lose a lot of weight and then you will have all this energy that you won't know what to do with. I run circles around my kid and husband now. They'll be all "oh, let's go, we are tired" and I'm like "WTHell is the matter with you? Tired?? How can you be tired? We only hiked uphill 10 miles!"

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

Jennifer D.
on 10/27/11 5:21 am
I am going through this phase - my doctor said exercise anyway. I have been back to the gym and it really helps with energy - very hard to get there tho...
                                      Jennifer
          Thank you Cheri and Holly!
       Think twice, cut once! I've had 3 surgeries now, RNY, VSG and DS .
                                Ask me about the DS or visit dsfacts.com
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
2011 - Full DS-August 24th
                HW 311   SW 306  CW 235  GW 150