Hibernation Mode (Advice for newbies)

Lori F.
on 10/26/11 1:10 pm - Chula Vista, CA
Wow- this one's getting bookmarked. THANKS!
Pre-band highest weight: 244
Pre-band surgery weight: 233
Lowest: 199 ( for, like, a day)
CW:
260 (yes, with the band!) 
Current Fill: 5cc in 10cc band
BMI: 49
topaz754
on 10/26/11 1:34 pm - grand rapids, MI
I am 3 weeks out tomorrow and i want to say THANK YOU for posting that. I today was just about in tears because i m having a hard time keeping the liquids down. My body is telling me i need something more solid. Then at work i told the girls i just dont wanna exercise but i know I need to.  Where 1 week ago i felt like i could run around the block and back a few times.. You wrote down everything that i have been feeling these past few days so thank you very much that was very helpful and i think you just gave me a big boost of positive thoughts. thank you so much.
kelly
Mandy B.
on 10/26/11 2:44 pm - ID
I'm a pre-op and call me crazy - but this post almost scares me more than any other.

I have 6 young children and only three of them are in school. I'm not going to have time for naps let alone 4-5 hour "naps" a month after surgery. I'll have help for a couple of weeks for sure - but then I'll be on my own all day.

How does a mom of little ones deal with Hibernation Mode?

Privacy Please
on 10/27/11 3:26 am
How small are your babies?  If you have one that's old enough, make him/her your helper.  Before your surgery, set up a safe 'play area' in your house that is next to your bed or sofa or something.  That way you can rest, cat nap, and still have those babies right there where you can help should someone need something. 

I didn't need 4-5 hour naps during the time frame Maddie is referencing, but we're all different.  I definitely needed some rest, though.  For me, it was similar to caring for children during my second pregnancy.  I rested and kept an eye on them.  I had already planned a safe play area full of things that encouraged independent activity. 

It's not easy, but it can be done.  Simple things like making sure the 2 year old can reach the sink to wash his/her hands can save you the trip to the bathroom with them, especially if you have a 4 year old who can 'supervise'.   Asking family members to prep snacks that the kids can then get for themselves.  Things like that.  I had my youngest bring me a new diaper when she needed a change, and I changed her on the ottoman next to the sofa.  :)  It can work.   Best of luck.
Mandy B.
on 10/27/11 6:16 am - ID
That's great advice! Thanks! I have a 5 month old girl and three year old twin boys. They'll be a lot closer to 4 by then - and they ARE good helpers. Yay! I think I'll be able to manage resting but napping just isn't on the agenda most days.

newyorkbitch
on 10/27/11 11:46 am
How old will your 5 month old be when you have surgery?
Mandy B.
on 10/27/11 11:55 am - ID
She'll be 9 or 10 months - I'm planning surgery for sometime in March. She'll be crawling and probably standing at that point. Which will make it easier AND harder because she'll be mobile.

newyorkbitch
on 10/27/11 11:58 am, edited 10/27/11 11:59 am
I have a 9 month old.

Mandy there is no way you will be able to take care of her then after surgery,  not for at least 6 weeks.  You won't be able to chase her or be up and down from the floor or pick her up.  You have to have help all the time or else put her in daycare or something for 6 weeks.  Seriously.  And with two almost-4-year-olds at home also?  No way.  You will need help all the time for 6 weeks. 

Mandy B.
on 10/27/11 12:14 pm - ID
Thanks - I have a bit of a super-mom/I can do anything complex. I have six children - including two sets of twins - all under 8. I think nothing can take me down...but the only surgery I've ever had is a c-section. It was easy. I'll take care to make some arrangements.

Renfairewench
on 10/27/11 5:17 am
Rachel gave you good advice. Better than what I could have done because I don't have little ones. Please know that this post is only what can happen to you not what will happen to you. As for napping, some people do need to actually sleep. I was one of them, however, I also had a lot of post op complications and had been in the hospital for a month so at 8 weeks out I was just beginning to feel better, but then I had the whole hibernation thing hit me like a wall. At the time though I was on home IV antibiotics, enteral feeding through a J-tube and I had a wound vacuum pump. My hibernation period was pretty severe. 

I can only say this to you though. In my experience mom's of little ones do find ways to get in quick naps or rest periods. Sometimes it may not be a nap you need, just rest. Don't let this post scare you. If you want a post that will scare you read about my revision post op complication issues ... lol.  I never post things to scare people, but rather to make them aware and to educate themselves as to what the heck is going on. If it helps one pre-op or newbie, then I've paid it forward.

Maddie

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"