Wife and good Dr. friend of mine says DS is NUTS!

pktwatch
on 10/27/11 12:34 am
I am 64 years old and had my DS surgery 5 weeks ago. I had diabetes, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, sleep apnea, high blood pressure and who know what else. I am mobile but at 328 pounds it was not easy. I researched for over a year and at first I thought I would "just get the lap band". It seemed easier and less complicated. Then I found out about all the refills and then about the problems and decided against it. I met a women who had the DS and followed her progress and then studied and read everything that I could about it.

I went to a seminar with the only Dr. in my state that preformed the DS. After the seminar I met with her and she said that she usually does not do the DS on patients over 62. I was floored! I told her that I have been studying and planning on the DS for a year and would not consider any other surgery so she agreed to look into it for me. I had a few things going for me, I had never had surgery so there was no scar tissue. I was mobile and all of my problems were controlled with my meds. In the end she did the surgery and this last 5 weeks have been a different world!

I came home from the hospital off of all of my diabetic meds. I was off of my cholesterol and triglycerides meds within 2 weeks.  I have lost 37 pounds. Would I recommend the DS.....HELL YES!!

Switched 9/21/2011 By Dr. Inman
HW    368
SW    328
CW    180

GW 180 (or less to get to a normal BMI)

Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/29/11 1:17 am - Tuvalu

If you are inclined to track points for "Who Has the Best Medical Background to Give You Solid Advice on This Subject," you have ALREADY received answers in this thread from more than one M.D. who has had the DS and you are ikely to receive some more.  (They are often just reluctant to wave their credentials and experience around...and it's probably better for them to not appear to be giving medical advice.  But they are here and they are DSers.)

prettypixels
on 10/29/11 5:10 am
 I sincerely hope you will show your radiology tech wife these pictures... taken of my band when it was removed on Tuesday.  I'd be interested to know if it seems so hunkey dorey to her. 

(Not to mention that post-band, I gained 100 lbs, screwed up my metabolism and eating habits for good, and spent most days for the past ten years throwing up multiple times a day.)

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/M82mvheLEERvk19IlaM5Ds 6GGilDrhcIulWvPdu2OSk?feat=directlink
Banded in 2001 at 217 lbs - Band to DS revision 10/25/11 at 310 lbs
If life with your band sucks, you are not alone and it's not your fault.  Check out the failed lap band group!

Mommy2006
on 10/29/11 9:42 am, edited 10/29/11 9:42 am
My GP was not really for the DS at first.
I weighed 454, just 14 months ago before the DS. I now weigh under 280 (haven't weighed in a few weeks, probably lower than that now). Her opinion has now changed.

I think you've gotten some fabulous advice.

Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/29/11 12:34 pm - Tuvalu

One other thing...tell your wife that you'll let her OB/GYN make your wls decisions if she lets your Bariatric Surgeon do her pap smears.  (We all have our areas of expertise...)

Victorious_one
on 10/30/11 7:29 am - South Central, PA

Hey there, Hawkeye.  The long-term results were what I was after getting the DS.  Any surgery will help you lose weight, but it's the DS that will work to help you keep it off.
Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
(deactivated member)
on 10/30/11 8:14 am
Hi Hawkeye,

Many of us have objections from family and friends about wls in general, let alone the DS. I think we are sort of programmed to not questioned medical authority since they are the experts in their field....key words are their field. I wouldn't expect a family practioner to have even heard of the DS, let alone give an educated opinion on what it is. So you sort of have to take that part with a grain of salt, keep doing your own research and learn from it.  While it's important to make your own choices for the right reasons, you need to keep in mind this truly is life altering..not just your life but those in your life as well.

I could go on but you've received a gazillion responses already. Just tossing in my penny's worth.

Eileen
goodkel
on 10/30/11 3:13 pm
Besides lifestyle issues, remaining morbidly obese will likely kill you. It is called morbidly obese for a reason. The band has the highest failure rate and the most complications often resulting in permanent damage. The sleeve will deal with portion control issues, but not the metabolic problems.

Revisions from the band and the RnY are risky. Old mistakes must be taken down and fixed before the new surgery is completed. Longer OR times, longer anesthesia, much higher risk.

The DS has the highest percentage of excess weight lost and the highest percentage of excess weight loss maintained long term of any weight loss surgery. Get one surgery and do it right the first time. Much safer.

Lay the facts out for your worried friends and family and then give them the choice to support you or keep quiet about it.

Good luck!
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"