Wife and good Dr. friend of mine says DS is NUTS!

Julie R.
on 10/26/11 4:58 am - Ludington, MI
I'm supposed to be at a meeting right now, but I can't go until I tell you this story:

Last week, I went to see an endocrinologist.  I'm one of the really rare folks on these boards that's having a VERY tough time absorbing calcium, which has resulted in some bone issues.   I thought I was going to the best of the best.    University of Michigan Hospital has a post-bariatric metabolism clinic, which has started to help just us WLS'ers, especially those with calcium isses and metabolic bone disease.   I was really excited to see this guy, because I thought I was finally going to find a guy *****ally knew the ins and outs of micronutrient supplementation and would get me on the right path.     U of M Hospital does NOT do the DS, by the way.

As we're discussing my labs, records and treatment plan, he leaned back in his chair, and said, "Yup - we hardly see anybody with your type of surgery anymore."   I'm like, "ANYMORE?"  You should be seeing more and more of us!  It's becoming so much more common nowadays"     He thought I'd had the BPD (an earlier version of the DS that caused a lot of malnutrition problems).    I couldn't believe he had no idea what kind of surgery I'd had.   So I, medically incompetent idiot that I am, had to draw him the little picture to show him just what the hell my innards look like.   Duh.   

The one important thing I've learned in the five years I've been a DS'er is just because you have some fancy initials after your name doesn't mean jack **** that you know ANYTHING outside of your immediate field of expertise!   
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

MsBatt
on 10/26/11 11:09 am
On October 26, 2011 at 11:58 AM Pacific Time, Julie R. wrote:
I'm supposed to be at a meeting right now, but I can't go until I tell you this story:

Last week, I went to see an endocrinologist.  I'm one of the really rare folks on these boards that's having a VERY tough time absorbing calcium, which has resulted in some bone issues.   I thought I was going to the best of the best.    University of Michigan Hospital has a post-bariatric metabolism clinic, which has started to help just us WLS'ers, especially those with calcium isses and metabolic bone disease.   I was really excited to see this guy, because I thought I was finally going to find a guy *****ally knew the ins and outs of micronutrient supplementation and would get me on the right path.     U of M Hospital does NOT do the DS, by the way.

As we're discussing my labs, records and treatment plan, he leaned back in his chair, and said, "Yup - we hardly see anybody with your type of surgery anymore."   I'm like, "ANYMORE?"  You should be seeing more and more of us!  It's becoming so much more common nowadays"     He thought I'd had the BPD (an earlier version of the DS that caused a lot of malnutrition problems).    I couldn't believe he had no idea what kind of surgery I'd had.   So I, medically incompetent idiot that I am, had to draw him the little picture to show him just what the hell my innards look like.   Duh.   

The one important thing I've learned in the five years I've been a DS'er is just because you have some fancy initials after your name doesn't mean jack **** that you know ANYTHING outside of your immediate field of expertise!   
Okay, I've got to tell this one:

In late July, I had a bowel obstruction. When I went to the ER, the 'hospitalist' on call didn't know what a DS was, so I whipped out my little card with the pic of the DS on it. He looked at it and asked, in the most mystified tone "What did they do THAT for???" He didn't even knwo it was a form of WLS, ever after looking at the pic.

A couple of weeks later, I had a small-bowel follow-through. The radiologist came in, said something about my having had a gastric bypass. I said no, and again whipped out my card. Damned if he didn't say the same damned thing---"What did they do THAT for???"

*SIGH*
Elizabeth N.
on 10/26/11 11:11 am - Burlington County, NJ
That makes me all the happier about my GI doc appointment and how he UNDERSTOOD it right away.

MsBatt
on 10/26/11 11:52 am
The surgeon who saw me after I was admitted was the same guy I saw a couple of years ago when I broke a bunch of ribs. Back then, he was fascinated by my DS, and as soon as he saw me this time around he was asking about it. It's so nice when a non-bariatric person GETS it!
Sheanie
on 10/26/11 5:31 am
JESUS, MARY & JOSEPH.........Hawkeye, I've got a story for you.

My husband took one of our sons to the YMCA to play basketball.  They came home because Vin fell and hurt his arm.  The story my husband told me went like this:  "Jean, Dan and I both looked at Vin's arm, and it's not broken".  My husband is a dentist, and Dan is a high-risk OB-GYN, and both are pretty intelligent individuals, in their respective fields.  I have absolutely no college education, none.  No degree.  Nada.  So I examine Vin's arm, and say to my husband, "Okay, bye.  I'm taking him to the ER", and we went.  His arm WAS BROKEN, and I knew it was without even touching it.  My husband still tells that story:  "A dentist and an OB-GYN gave their orthopedic opinion, and it was wrong".  LOL

My point is this:  Do your own intelligent research.  Advocate for yourself with the knowledge you gain from this research.  YOU are going to have to live with your decision.  It's permanent.

That being said, I was a "lightweight" at 231.  I had the complete DS 2 years ago and am now holding very steady at 115.  I eat very well, feel like a teenager (I am 51), am more active than any time in my entire life, and feel I will very well live into my late 90's. 

When I made my decision to get the DS, I told no one outside my husband and kids.  Precisely because I didn't want or need comments from the fricking peanut gallery of know-it-alls in my family.  I chose well.  I've not regretted my decision for a second.  For me it was a life saver.

I.  am.  not.  a.  doctor.

HW 250ish  SW 219  CW 110  LW 100

Amanda-DS
on 10/26/11 7:13 am
well unless the OBGYN transplants a uterus,ovaries, and gives you hormones to make your breasts grow so you can become their patient - I would say that you do not need to give a rat's ass about his/her opinion.

And if you need a DR opinion then "Dr. Steve" (Family Practice)and myself (Pediatric Endocrinologist) will qualify as M.D.'s who endorse the DS surgery  for the morbidly obese & those with qualifying co-morbidities but BMO >40. We  not only endorse and we both live it's medical grace each day.

However the only  two person's opinion that truly matters is yours and your qualified DS surgeons, not your wifes, not your parents, not your kids, not friends (best or not)  you are the one trapped in a body that is morbidly obese.

Gratitude is my attitude

Amanda-DS October 2001
highest >350/342 start of wls journey/ 192 @8years

elixir
on 10/26/11 7:44 am - MI
If they think band would be better have them take a peek at the revision board. That might change their tune.

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

Mdae
on 10/26/11 8:33 am
my BMI was right around 40, so to some i was considered a 'lightweight'.  i've never been at risk of losing too much weight.  i do take a crapload of vitamins.  if i didn't have surgery, it's highly likely i'd be taking insulin and blood pressure medicine, as well as stuff for pancreantitis and stuff.  i prefer vitamins, even a lot of vitamins.

Switched4Life
on 10/26/11 9:12 am
Hi...

Lots of folks have now told you about the science showing DS is the most effective surgery...and that you have to make your own way in considering WLS.

So just let me offer a few personal thoughts.  I, too, am a guy and had the DS at the age of 56.  (I wish I had it in my 40s, like you can.)  I weighed 308 on the day of surgery and was slowly dying, I think.  I had a young son and a wonderful (young) wife, and did not want to leave them early.  

The surgery was fairly easy and the recovery swift and painless.  I was at an ideal weight in a year and have remained there since.  I live a perfectly normal life now and can keep up with my now six year old son.  In fact, I was on ice-skates last week with him, for the first time in 25 years.  It was your skating comment which prompted me to write.

I have had no complications and my labs (and bone scan) show everything is as it should be.  I take my supplements every day (although nothing like the huge amounts of pills some folks swallow) and get all my protein in by eating delicious food.

I eat normally and can eat just about anything I want after I make sure I get my protein in.  To anyone who does not know, I just look like a normal eater who has always been at a normal weight.  I have no gas or bathroom issues, and have no physical sense that I have been surgically altered.  I don't even have surgical scars.

I can't tell you enough what a miracle this is.  I love being active again and not being constrained by being enveloped in fat.  I love looking great.  (Yeah, I look great and enjoy every minute of it.  So there.)  

I started this journey heading toward the lap band.  Then I met lap-banders at support groups and was horrified by what they were going through.  So I gravitated toward RNY.  Same thing happened.  Then I checked out the DS and met only happy people.  As they say, I did the math, and here I am.

My wife (always petite, by the way) was highly supportive, and that was helpful. 

As we have some things in common, I wanted you to hear from me.  Good luck.

Michael   

Emily F.
on 10/26/11 8:19 pm
I just went and saw my reproductive endocrinologist. she didn't even know what a pyloric valve is??????????????????????

Good luck. My husband was not supportive of wls in general much less my surgery in Mexico as a self pay, but after 3 years of research and showing him I did not lose weight and keep it off on my own, he did change his mind SLIGHTLY. I went ahead w my plans and now he is very proud of me and realizes it was a wonderful decision.