Wife and good Dr. friend of mine says DS is NUTS!

Hey Jules
on 10/26/11 12:24 am
 I can kinda see where you are coming from. I get a lot of medical advice from my sister and went to her for advice regarding bariatric surgery when I was doing my research. She is a pediatric dermatologist, but very knowledgable when it comes to medical stuff. Even she recommended the Lap Band over the other surgeries. So, I did a LOT more research and reading and eventually decided to go with the DS. I am so happy I did!

Good luck!

Jules

brokenwings.jpg image by heyjules77

5'8", 150cm C.C. - HW 289/SW 275/CW 150/GW 164      I  my DS!!!

Hawkeye5150
on 10/26/11 3:30 am
 Jules, has your success changed her opinions at all?  Medical people are a finicky bunch.  In my mind I laugh at many of them because if they were birds few of them would ever leave the nest because the science of flying, on paper, would be "inconclusive."  I still love them.

What has been the best part of getting the DS surgery?
Hey Jules
on 10/26/11 12:16 pm
 Well, my sister doesn't really like to admit when she is wrong, so she doesn't talk about my weight loss or surgery anymore. Honestly I think that she is of the "WLS is the easy way out" mentality. She isn't overweight and has been close to underweight her whole life, so she doesn't really understand.

The best part of getting the DS? Boy, that's a hard question! It has been a honest-to-goodness dream come true. Keep in mind, I'm still in the honeymoon stage, but as long as I focus on protein first, and carbs last, I have been able to eat whatever I like and lose 140 pounds! I love it that bacon, sausage, ribs, steak, cheese, butter, shrimp and heavy cream in my coffee are all health foods for me. I have no guilt when it comes to food anymore. 

I also love running, playing and being generally active with my family without joint pain or shortness of breath. I went to a waterpark and went on all the rides instead of sitting on the sides like I always used to. Life is much more fun now.

Another thing I love is how normal I feel around other people.

One last thing that surprised me when having the DS and taking part of this website is the friends that I have made here. It really is like one big (sometimes dysfunctional) family. Stick around, these are some smart people!

Good luck!

Jules

brokenwings.jpg image by heyjules77

5'8", 150cm C.C. - HW 289/SW 275/CW 150/GW 164      I  my DS!!!

determineddanni
on 10/26/11 12:47 am
I just came back from my surgeon and he told me that the band will be obsolete in the future. This is coming from a doctor who has been doing bariatric surgery for 25+ years. He does all the different type surgeries and his opinion on the lap band was not nice. He says the band will last a bit longer because they are milking the money from it but as an overall surgery is weak. So I know you have other medical personel, who are close to you, but they are not experts by any means. I suggest going to a very good surgeon and having a consult with him. Thats who you should be getting your info from.

Good luck
Hawkeye5150
on 10/26/11 3:42 am
 Danni,
Which surgery does you Dr. recommend?  That has been another part of this journey that has been interesting for me.  When I went to the orientation on Saturday the Dr there stated that the surgery chosen was largely up to the patient.  I remember thinking WTH?!?  It almost sounded like WLS was akin to picking out a candy bar at the vending machine.  Me:  "Ohh, I'd like something with chocolate and nuts.  Do you have a Snickers bar?"  

When I turned my paperwork in Monday, the MA asked me what kind of surgery I was most interested in because each of the three doctors specialized in different procedures.  I said the DS and she said "OK, your Dr. will be Simper."  Now, I knew ahead of time that Dr. Simper was vetted on bsfacts.com but the process was entirely new to me.

It was like asking a 16 year old "Would you like to drive a car, a motorcycle or a Boeing 747?"  Maybe the 1 on 1 consult will have a more personalized feel to it.  In the mean time I'm grabbing a Snickers bar from the vending machine and wondering how hard could flying a Boeing 747 REALLY be?

My twisted, sarcastic and fun loving side is coming out in this reply but I thank you nonetheless. ;)
galla1
on 10/26/11 4:09 am
Dr Simper was my surgeon.. he is awesome!!
Hawkeye5150
on 10/26/11 8:15 pm
 Simper REALLY?!?  McKinley was the Saturday orientation guy and he really stunned me with his overall recommendations.  He said that his personal preference was the RNY, the Sleeve, DS and then Lap Band.  I was taken by surprise until he admitted that he didn't do the DS.

For being the young guy of the group I really thought that he would be on the cutting edge of the DS.  So how was Simper?  Anything I should know ahead of time.  Also, anyone else you know of that had him?  

Thank you SOOO MUCH for your help!
Fade2Pink
on 10/26/11 6:27 am - Salt Lake City, UT
Fellow Dr Simper patient...very happy with him as a surgeon and as a DS proponent.  Good choice!

As far as your wife and friend....I can understand a little about their concerns.  They care about you and the DS sounds...and is...a big deal.  It can really mess someone up if they do not take care of their post-op nutritional needs, etc.  They do not sound very knowledgeable about bariatric surgery, I think so many people have heard the lapband wonder stories, that it is so non-invasive, etc that it feels perhaps "safer".   But it might not be a bad idea to share some of the issues that are found daily on this forum, where people are having issues, major issues, with lack of weight loss or ability to continue that weight loss being the less of those issues.  I think if they could hear a more balanced information on the options, they might not be so worried.

Good luck to you!
Duodenal Switch 4/29/09
Loving my DS!!

Hawkeye5150
on 10/26/11 8:20 pm
 Fade,

I was happy to see the Simper was vetted by DSFACTS.COM so my heart pressure dropped somewhat.  Looking back, what would you have done different with him as your surgeon?  I'm always interested in learning from those who have traveled before me.  Anything you can recommend would be fantastic!
determineddanni
on 10/26/11 12:03 pm
Love the sarcasim! I am a sarcasim girl myself, so we speak the same lingo.

My doctor said the two big hitters were the RNY and the DS. Basicly he lets you make up your own mind. I suggest really knowing your info before going to see the doctor. Dr. Simper is very laid back and takes the time to answer your questions. He will also be SUPER honest! I love this about him! I hate doctors who try to be politicly correct... Dr. Simper says it how it is. So he will point out the DS and RNY pro's and con's, then leaves it up to you.

Yes, they basicly let you choose but guess what? Your more ahead of the game than a lot of people who just walk in and have the doctor just give them whatever he chooses. So think of it as a fast food resturant and you order a special meal w/out onions or pickles and you get it YOUR WAY!!! HEHEHE

I think you did a good choice in the DS. If you can comply with all the eating and vit requirements then it is a GREAT surgery. Best thing you can do is EDUCATE yourself and stay on this board and LISTEN to the vets.

Keep us posted :) Since we are now surgeon buddies! Like Gala and Fade2Pink. I might be having my surgery as soon as December now....?!