Wife and good Dr. friend of mine says DS is NUTS!

(deactivated member)
on 10/26/11 7:46 am
 A couple days ago I posted my 4 month update if you'd like to take a look. Not a lot of words, but there are some pictures from before and now. I'm still a fresh post-op baby but I LOVE my DS, I have practically since the moment I woke up from surgery (but I'm an odd bird like that since it usually takes others a little while to start lovin' their DS). I had a complication 8 days out from surgery, the day before I was to fly home, but I never ONCE regretted my desicion to get the DS. 

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4463789/4-Months-Post-O p-w-pics/#36923227
Hawkeye5150
on 10/26/11 8:06 pm
 WOW!  A few months out and I can already see a difference!
MsBatt
on 10/26/11 11:16 am
I've been on this site for about 8 years now, and I'll be 8 years post-DS come December. Yes, I've seen a few people who were not happy with their DS...for the first 2-3 months. The first 2-3 months after ANY major surgery sucks.

I can only think of TWO people I've seen who were disappointed at a few years post-op. BOTH of them admitted they did little real research before surgery, had virtually NO follow-up, and either did not know the post-op 'rules' or didn't follow them.

TWO people, out of several hundred, maybe even thousands, given how traffic on this board has increased in the past 4 years or so. Of those two, one had already had a revision before she started posting here. The other got a lot of good info here, and has pretty much turned ALL her problems around and is now totally loving her DS.
Hawkeye5150
on 10/26/11 8:08 pm
 That is fantastic!  All of the studies that I have been able to get my hands on show that the DS has a 95% satisfaction rate among patients.  This too is a very comforting fact for me.  Thanks for sharing your real world experiences MsBatt!
MsBatt
on 10/26/11 11:29 pm
Here's some more real world experience for you, then. Back just before and for about two years after I had my DS, I attended a real-world support group. We had  DSers, RNYers, and a couple of Bandsters. The group was technically supported by my surgeon's office, but anyone was welcomed, and we had a LOT of people whose (other) surgeons required they attend a support-group meeting. The group disbanded about five years ago due to lack of interest, but from time to time I run into people who were members.

The four other DSers are all still happy as pigs in slop. The ONLY Bandster I've run into is fatter now than she was when she started. Of the 8 RNYers I see occassionally, only ONE is still at his goal weight. His wife is still happy with hers, but she's regained about 50 pounds. Three of them have regained MORE than they lost, and one of those has had her diabetes return. The other three are struggling.

I had lunch with one of them, and I *almost* felt bad about eating that bacon cheeseburger while she minced up a skinless baked chicken breast.

Almost. (*grin*)
Emily F.
on 10/26/11 8:13 pm
On October 26, 2011 at 9:53 AM Pacific Time, Hawkeye5150 wrote:
 Actually this forum has been a great resource for me.  For those of you who have been on this forum for awhile, has anyone posted disappointment with the DS?  I'm one of those odd people who can score 99% on a test and consume myself with the 1% that I missed.  This could be case in point.

Also, thanks for taking me to task about filling out the paperwork.  Being the medical person in the family she can quote chapeter and verse on everything medical about me.  So the mantra to do it yourself has redoubled my resolution to move forward.  Like you said, I need to take charge and CHARGE!
 Yes, there is one person on the main board that revised from ds to rny, but she admits she followed no diet or was compliant. There are a few who had their dses reversed due to too much malabsorption but that is far and few between. 
(deactivated member)
on 10/25/11 7:50 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
Actually, documented results are showing that the band is the worst of the possible wls.

Check out the post on the following link"

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4416755/Must-Read-Trans cript-of-Dr-Roslins-Presentation-to-ASMBS-on/

This doctor is highly regarded, and speaks of the pros and cons of each of the surgeries.  Read and
make up your own mind.

Best wishes,
Hawkeye5150
on 10/26/11 3:13 am
 Lynn, thanks for the link, it was an interesting read.

When I first considered bariatric surgery I thought the band was best for me.  Then I read about the sleeve and got excited.  The kicker for me is the relative success of the DS and the incredibly high satisfaction rate of DS'ers.  If you have more articles keep sending them!
(deactivated member)
on 10/26/11 7:29 am - Santa Cruz, CA
Lots of great info here on the site, so don't be afraid to look! 

The fact that there is actually a way to be free of SMO is exciting, isn't it!!

If the DS is your decision, make sure you get it.

Good luck!
airbender
on 10/25/11 7:51 pm
well, I don't think an Xray tech and an ob-gyn are very knowledgeable in MO and treatments.  I mean geesh the DS is s strange thing to do, but if you understand the science and what is being done by bypassing intestinal tissue, you can understand why it works.  Until there are injectibles or oral medications that take  care of MO, the DS is the best surgical intervention for MO patients out there.  You have to do what is best for you, that will be the most difficult to do, standing alone when your wife and friend think you are nuts, it is not taking the vit/min, the blood work etc........