Nausea

Patty Kake
on 10/25/11 9:15 am
I am about 6 weeks out of surgery (9/15) and I am still pretty nauseous.  Is this common for me to be feeling this way everytime I try to eat something?  I am getting most of my water in and when I can eat, I am getting at least 60 grams of protein in a day.  Any suggestions would be appreciated and any suggestions to boost my protein intake in an appetizing way would be welcome too. 
Joanlaptods
on 10/25/11 9:57 am
You should try adding a double scoop protein shake or protein coffee to increase your total protein intake and fluid intake. Are you on a proton pump inhibitor?

start 315lbs lapband feb2006-196 lbs night Reflux bc esophageal dilation,216 lbs band replaced may 2008. Gained up to 286lbs still reflux and regurg Ds March 2011   cw 165 lb    

kim1967
on 10/25/11 8:56 pm
After trying several meds(that did NOT work for me) I was told to try Zantac 150 twice a day, within 2 days I was seeing a major difference after 6 weeks of nausea.
Good luck, I know its miserable with all the nausea, but hopefully you will find something that works for you!
Lisa A.
on 10/25/11 10:45 pm - Windsor, NY
How about antinausea medicine. I had to take that and also was put on acid reducer. This was how I felt for 6 months. It was worse when I would wake up first thing in the morning until I got moving around. I also had absolutel no appetite for 6 months. It was a chore for me just to eat and drink. I lived on frozen ice pops, I froze snapples and they were slussies, cottage cheese and baby pears, yougur, puddings, protein shakes (yuk!!!). I know its a crappy feeling. Some people have no problems and there are those of us that do. Are you taking anything to help?

Patty Kake
on 10/26/11 5:53 am
Thanks everyone.  I am taking pepcid twice a day for the nausea.  I'm going to try to take it before dinner to see if that calms my stomach down so that I can at least eat dinner without being sick. 

I can't do the milk based protein drinks but I did find a good one from the vitamin Shoppe.  It is juice based and it's called Nectar.  I bought the Fuzzy Navel flavored one and it tastes pretty good.  I drink 21/2 a day for about 30 grams of protein. 

elixir
on 10/26/11 7:54 am - MI
Even though Nectar doesn't have the funky whey taste that many protein powders have it's still whey based, it just has good fruity flavors. My favorite is the Twisted Cherry. There's no fruit or juice in any of their flavors. That would jack the carb count up sky-high. 

My nausea started around 6 weeks out and lasted until I was just over 3 months out. My surgeon prescribed Zofran which helped. I still also take Prilosec. 

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

Sheanie
on 10/26/11 5:54 am
Patty Kake:  Your stomach is a one-trick pony.  It's pissed off right now, trying to heal, while it still has to take in food.  So it's doing the only thing it knows:  cramping up.  Funny thing is, that cramping up translates not into pain, but into nausea.  It's got something to do with our vagus nerve.  Google that.  Anyhoo, the way to cure this nausea is with PPI's (like already suggested by others): Prilosec, etc.  But you have to take them correctly.  Read the package insert carefully, talk to your pharmacist.  Mine said to take it FIRST THING in the AM with just a SIP of water, then to WAIT 15 minutes before eating or drinking anything else.  When I started taking it like that, it worked like magic, even though I'd been on it for 3 weeks without relief.  I was on two 8-week courses of Prilosec before my nausea finally went away.  It's covered by insurance if your doctor writes a prescription, or at least mine was 2 years ago.  Otherwise it's OTC and you pay.

Drinking your protein at this point is the way to get 90 grams in.  As you heal, you can try different foods.  I ate peanut butter early out, string cheese, and beef jerky.  The trick is to chew food TO DEATH, I mean until there's nothing left to swallow.  But to eat that way, you have to pay attention to every bite.  I ate alone in silence until I got the hang of that.  It gets better fast.

I.  am.  not.  a.  doctor.

HW 250ish  SW 219  CW 110  LW 100

Robin2011
on 11/16/11 5:39 am - CA
RNY on 09/08/11 with
I have the same issue.  I have taken Zofran and it doesn;t help.  I am not taking Prilosec or anythin other acid reducer. Is that required?  I took Prilosec while I was taking steroids meds but the doc told me to stop taking them after.  I can barely get liquids down due to the nausea.  I time everything I eat so the bites are 10 min. apart (I was told because I was eating too fast). This hasn't helped my nausea.  Please help me. I don't even know what to ask my doc or surgeon any more.  I'm so tired of feeling sick.  RNY 09/08/11
  Find your wings, Robin          
Patty Kake
on 11/16/11 8:43 pm
I take Pepcid twice a day and someone suggested eating more frequently can help reduce the stomach acid.  I have found that is true.  Eat little protein snacks in between your meals and it helps cut the nausea.  I still get it a little bit but nothing like it was before.  I'm trying to slow my eating down too.  That is hard after eating like a crazy person for all those years but I'm making a consious effort to put my fork down in between bites and chew, chew, chew!!!  Good luck, I hope you start feeling better.