Frustrated with carb/sugar problems

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 10/24/11 6:00 am
On October 23, 2011 at 7:29 PM Pacific Time, kramer5 wrote:
Typically I do all protein, but I added the wheat thins for texture...obviously won't do that in the future.  The 7-up was diet and while I typically don't drink any sugars/carbs now I tried it because of an upset stomach, which actually just made it worse. 

I don't have any real issues with doing low carb (I did that for a year with great success) I just added the wheat thins because after a while the texture of cheese really throws me and I thought it would give it enough texture to help me eat it a little better.

I was more worried that I wouldn't be able to add foods into my diet that have natural carbs like fruits and veggies (though I know that I won't be able to add fruits in until I hit my goal weight or am close to it because I really react to those carbs).

What surprises me is that people after surgery eat things like refried beans without any problems.  I haven't tried them because they are actually higher in carbs (even after subtracting the fiber if you chose to do so) then the handful of wheat thins I had.  I wonder if it's the type of carbs or something that makes a difference? 

Sounds like you're describing a little bit of food boredom. I can empathize, cheese is hard to eat in large quantities without a cracker of some sort for texture variation. You may want to try making some cheese crisps instead. They're easy and can be done in the microwave. That might help you get a crunchy/salty treat without having to turn to crackers or chips.

I think what has some people taken aback is the 7up that you're drinking. You are going to react to that far worse to sugary sodas than something like fruit since you'll be absorbing every single calorie of it. Not to mention the bubbles will give you painful stomach bloating, instestinal gas,  it is on the acidic side and may hurt  your tummy early out.

It is also a little confusing to understand how you're making good carb vs bad carb decisions if you're currently drinking 7up, but mention that you won't touch fruit until you're in maintenance. That doesn't make sense to me. I've never run across refried beans with sugar in them, they're legumes and have a lot protein in them, and yes they also have carbs but not as much as grains. IF we're taking about canned baked beans, oh heck yeah that has sugar in it and you'd want to be careful.

The type of carb makes a huge difference. But for the first 3-4 months carbs should be limited as much as possible, wheat is a no-no because wheat gluten is notorious for shredding healing post-op stomachs, don't even touch wheat until month 4. If you are going to eat carbs, in the mushy food stage there are a few general rules:

1) they need to have a lot of protein bang for the buck and be low on the glycemic index. This means white flour products and white rice products should be off limits as much as possible.
2) They must not be used to replace meat protein, but used as a side dish if you have room after eating all of your protein first.
3) You must be able to tolerate them, if not, try them again in a few months to see if you can but don't force them on your tummy if you have a bad reaction.

Beans and legumes are good for you, but should not be used as a replacement for meat or cheese protein. If you like crunchy snacks as a side dish roasted favabeans and papadoms (chickpea chips) are better to eat than potato chips or white-flour crackers. You may want to look around for brown rice crackers instead of wheat flour crackers.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

sherryatlarge
on 10/25/11 8:30 am - TX
busyBee,

Those cheese crisps sound good.  How do we make those?  Thanks!

Sherry
  I feel like I'm in a dream.        
pktwatch
on 10/23/11 12:36 pm, edited 10/23/11 12:37 pm
It does depend on the type of carbs or starch. Beans are on my list of foods. Refried beans with taco meat and a little cheese mixed in is my new favorite food ;-)  Read a little in this link and you will see why:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/nutrition/a/starch.htm

Switched 9/21/2011 By Dr. Inman
HW    368
SW    328
CW    180

GW 180 (or less to get to a normal BMI)

Elizabeth N.
on 10/23/11 12:46 pm - Burlington County, NJ
There's no way of knowing what it will be like down the road. For now, the smart thing to do would be to, um, QUIT doing things that make you sick. Your body is talking to you, so LISTEN.

It's a crapshoot. You're likely to get less sensitive as time goes on, yes, but there's no way to know for sure. You are just over a month out, though, and you need to pay very, very close heed to eating appropriately.

You don't get to do "normal" yet. Follow the program and follow it as exactly as possible. You're still healing from surgery. You are not in "living the DS life" yet.

There is a person who did not pay a single word of attention to this advice a number of months ago. It has caused her multiple additional surgeries, and to the best of my knowledge she is in the hospital right now, recovering from her umpteenth procedure that was at least partly based in her unwillingness to follow a few very simple rules. She just HAD to eat blahblahblah stuff a week out of surgery.

You have the rest of your life to eat stuff. Give it some time and don't be in such a hurry.

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 10/23/11 12:51 pm
On October 23, 2011 at 4:59 PM Pacific Time, kramer5 wrote:
Since originally asking the question about carbs and sugar possibly giving me stomach problems I have taken almost all carbs/sugars out of my diet but I'm finding that even a little bit causes me problems.  The other night I had 6 wheat thins with my cheese and later on I had horrible cramps, bloating, and diarreha.  I realize that protein should be my go-to foods but will I always have this problem with carbs and sugars?  It wasn't just that one night either, it's everytime I eat something that is carby or sugary even if it's just a small amount.  I had an upset stomach the other night and drank maybe 2 ozs of flat 7-up and was up all night with the same symptoms.

I realize that I can just cut all that out and fix the problem but I wanted to have somewhat of a normal eating life later on...is that out of the question for me or could it be because I'm only 7 weeks out and I'm more sensitive to things right now?

Thanks,
Steer clear of any wheat flour products for the first 4 months. It is well known to cause stomach/intestinal discomfort early post-op.

Swap out all sugar for a sweetener you can tolerate.

A few months down the line you may be able to tolerate wheat/carbs/some sugars, but right now is not the time, you're still early out and lots of things are going to cause discomfort.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

teachmid
on 10/23/11 1:14 pm - OKC, OK
Everyone is given you good advice. I just recently started drinking a little diet soda. Early out, which you are, many people just can't tolerate carbonated drinks. Try decaf or herbal tea if your stomach needs soothing.

You might come over to the Bites, Vites and Exercites thread to see what others folks are eating at different points in their journey.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

gak
on 10/23/11 1:22 pm
Revision on 06/21/13
Then  WHY are you doing sugars and carbs so early ? Get rid of them ! Get rid of the 7 up ! You do not need it, you need water etc, proteins, not sugar and carbs. The way to maximize your lost if to stick to protein. There will be tons of time for wheat thins and bites of other things after your further out and at goal. I did not touch a soda until about 2 yrs post-op and I seldom have one even now. Get rid of the habit while you can ! Sugar is the devil  in the weight loss stage, it will slow your loss and your over all success. 

When something does not agree with you, mark it off the taste list for at least 30 days before you retry it. But when it comes to sugar and carbs, you want to lose your taste for them, so do not even tempt yourself at this point in time.

I find when I crave carbs, that my body needs protein and if I eat it or drink it the cravings go away. It takes more discipline for some than others. 

Good luck, you can do it !

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

Mommy2006
on 10/23/11 2:54 pm
7UP would have killed me that early out.
DEFINITELY lose the soda. I didn't drink soda until 6+ months out (except for one accidental sip early out, which caused me to lose the contents of my stomach). Let me tell you I love my vices, but soda had to wait.
sandrasoren
on 10/23/11 3:52 pm
I hate to tell you what I am sure you already suspect, but it just depends on the person!  I am 9 mos out and any time I eat something that is starchy or sugary (so this goes for breads, oats, crackers, sweets, fruits, etc.) I have the same issues.  I cannot do soda at all, which is all right for me because it doesn't even appeal anymore.  I don't think you're supposed to be trying those things 7 weeks out really, but quite frankly I had some other complications at the beginning which messed up my eating schedule.  

I stick to my protein and what veggies I can have, lentils are a no go, but I'm thrilled I can have milk (although I've been given a bit of a hard time from people on here about it) and cheeses.  However the upside to the upset is I've been very successful in my weightloss! :) It will stink and take some getting used to if it's a permanent thing, but it could be you're just trying a little soonish for you! *fingers crossed* for you and good luck!
~Sandra

SW-237     CW-120      GW-130         HT-5' 0.5"
DS - 1/18/11

lk1970
on 10/23/11 9:17 pm
You have a long way to go til you find your "normal"! My food tolerances changed so much over the last 2 years. Please stay away from the carbs, it'll make you more comfortable and you'll drop weight faster!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "oh crap! she's up!