Frustrated with carb/sugar problems

kramer5
on 10/23/11 9:59 am - Washington, KS
Since originally asking the question about carbs and sugar possibly giving me stomach problems I have taken almost all carbs/sugars out of my diet but I'm finding that even a little bit causes me problems.  The other night I had 6 wheat thins with my cheese and later on I had horrible cramps, bloating, and diarreha.  I realize that protein should be my go-to foods but will I always have this problem with carbs and sugars?  It wasn't just that one night either, it's everytime I eat something that is carby or sugary even if it's just a small amount.  I had an upset stomach the other night and drank maybe 2 ozs of flat 7-up and was up all night with the same symptoms.

I realize that I can just cut all that out and fix the problem but I wanted to have somewhat of a normal eating life later on...is that out of the question for me or could it be because I'm only 7 weeks out and I'm more sensitive to things right now?

Thanks,
Dawn

pktwatch
on 10/23/11 10:27 am
My surgery date was just a few days after you. I have not ate any intentional carbs or sugars yet. I am eating mostly meat, refried beans, eggs, cheese, a few veggies and drinking a lot of protein drinks. I still have a little diarrhea in the mornings only. I was told that this is somewhat normal. Carbs and sugars are not on my list of foods to eat yet, neither is 7Up.  

Switched 9/21/2011 By Dr. Inman
HW    368
SW    328
CW    180

GW 180 (or less to get to a normal BMI)

zuzupetals2u2
on 10/23/11 10:30 am - Sedona, AZ
I think I got gas from everything for the first two months ! This too shall pass- no pun intended. It gets better.

Worse than the gas tho it will slow down your weight loss getting interested in carbs & sugar so early on. Find more exciting protein choices like cheeses, nuts, rolled up deli meat with cream cheese inside, slices of salami, cottage cheese, deviled eggs, pork rinds,  tuna salad with lots of mayo, on & on & on.

There were some great posts last week where people talked about their GO TO protein choices. You need to make changes to work your tool to its maximum benefit for you especially in the beginning, If you get in your 100 grams of protein and all your liquid and vites then you can experiment later with adding a few carbs. Now is the time to learn new and better choices.

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

zuzupetals2u2
on 10/23/11 10:34 am - Sedona, AZ
I think I got gas from everything for the first two months ! This too shall pass- no pun intended. It gets better.

Worse than the gas tho it will slow down your weight loss getting interested in carbs & sugar so early on. Find more exciting protein choices like cheeses, nuts, rolled up deli meat with cream cheese inside, slices of salami, cottage cheese, deviled eggs, pork rinds, tuna salad with lots of mayo, on & on & on.

There were some great posts last week where people talked about their GO TO protein choices. You need to make changes to work your tool to its maximum benefit for you especially in the beginning, If you get in your 100 grams of protein and all your liquid and vites then you can experiment later with adding a few carbs. Now is the time to learn new and better choices.

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

Sarah_Anne
on 10/23/11 11:09 am
Yes, you do need to cut them all out at this stage and it is possible that in the future you can eat them with out too many issues.

However, you MUST cut out the sugary drinks.  No juice and no full sugar soda.  You are setting yourself up to fail.  There is no reason to drink the full sugar varieties when there are more than enough good kinds of diet alternatives.  
 HW 315/ SW 297 /CW 173 /GW 150, size 8/10, 5'8 tall  (Updated December 1)
airbender
on 10/23/11 11:39 am
you are very very early out,  you don't need wheat thins, save your space for protein, how about some eggs, cheese, chobani,other protein you can tolerate,  that early out most would have GI distress with what you are eating/drinking.   In time that will lessen.  You should stay away from "sugary" stuff like simple carbs idealy permanently.  you really want to optimized weight loss before intestinal adaptation, work with your body not against it.....
Twi light
on 10/23/11 12:13 pm - NY
Too much too soon. Was it SF seven up? Might be the sugar subsittute giving you gas.

What thins, i am further out and i dont eat any crackers b/c i find them useless nutritionally

From the time i was 7 weeks out to now however i can eat a lot more things that are carb based without any negative results. For example, apples, or brocoli, or other fruits and veggies, i can eat high carb veggies without problems, but i cant eat highly processed things like crackers or white bread or pasta without some discomfort. Just make better choices,  have some broccoli and cheese, or turkey slices, cheese , and a quarter of an apple...

lauriv
on 10/23/11 12:24 pm
Hello there! I had my surgery five days before yours! 
I had a day where my daughter handed me a cracker and I thought nothing of it. I ate it. And I felt sick right away. It was such a awful feeling. I then had horrible gas and then diarrhea! Yikes! I didn't even think at the time that it was because of the cracker, just thought it was my irritable tummy again.
Me being a fool, had a day where I felt nauseous and decided I'd try to eat a cracker. The thought of heavy protein made me certain I'd puke! About 15 minutes after eating the cracker I had the exact same experience! Horrid! I will avoid eating them for now on! Lesson learned!
I wish I had trouble with more foods but so far that is the only thing I have a issue with! 
I'd for sure avoid a sugary soda if I were you. Not worth the calories or carbs.
Good luck! It is such a learning experience trying to figure out this new eating thing! I'm trying to be better every day!

~ Lauri

kramer5
on 10/23/11 12:29 pm - Washington, KS
Typically I do all protein, but I added the wheat thins for texture...obviously won't do that in the future.  The 7-up was diet and while I typically don't drink any sugars/carbs now I tried it because of an upset stomach, which actually just made it worse. 

I don't have any real issues with doing low carb (I did that for a year with great success) I just added the wheat thins because after a while the texture of cheese really throws me and I thought it would give it enough texture to help me eat it a little better.

I was more worried that I wouldn't be able to add foods into my diet that have natural carbs like fruits and veggies (though I know that I won't be able to add fruits in until I hit my goal weight or am close to it because I really react to those carbs).

What surprises me is that people after surgery eat things like refried beans without any problems.  I haven't tried them because they are actually higher in carbs (even after subtracting the fiber if you chose to do so) then the handful of wheat thins I had.  I wonder if it's the type of carbs or something that makes a difference? 
Dawn

Elizabeth N.
on 10/23/11 11:18 pm - Burlington County, NJ
If you want something for an upset stomach now, the old fashioned carby remedies are a TERRIBLE idea. Try some ginger tea.

You need to just WAIT on the carbs, don't panic and give yourself time to heal.