*LOST* Ferrous glycine sulfate 100 mg FE++= the iron we need?

(deactivated member)
on 10/21/11 12:41 am, edited 1/26/12 2:30 am

deleted because there is NO privacy on here

Elizabeth N.
on 10/21/11 12:59 am - Burlington County, NJ
That is, if I understand correctly, 100 mg of elemental iron. So take however many will get you to your daily iron intake goal.

HOWEVER, I gotta tell you that if I took that stuff it would tear my guts to bits. If the iron source starts with "ferrous," it's deadly for me. Constipation and gastritis hell after one dose.

If you're in that bad shape regarding iron, why not get infusions? They'd work a lot better than oral iron.

(deactivated member)
on 10/21/11 2:55 am
Thank you soooo very much Elizabeth, or En as I've seen others call you :-) You're info was VERY helpful! I have about 2 weeks worth of pills to try so if what you say (the pain and constipation) will happen then I will go back and look to get infusions.

Last silly question: How do infusions work? Meaning how do the doses work and how often? I figure if I go to the Dr. knowing exactly how much iron per infusion and how often then I can save myself, and the poor Dr who knows nothing about the DS, ALOT of trouble.

Thanks again, I appreciate your help and advice, hopefully someone else will benefit from this info too
Elizabeth N.
on 10/21/11 4:00 am - Burlington County, NJ
What kind of iron do you usually use? What does the label say? There might be a way to compare your usual product with this new product.

Infusions are IV's. They don't go through your digestive tract, so you don't have to worry about how they are absorbed. How much iron you get depends on your levels when you start and how you respond to them, far as I know. There are different kinds of infusible iron, too. There are other folks on here *****ally know that stuff well. I just ventured into infusions for the first time this past summer, so I'm not all up to snuff on that yet. Two infusions put my total iron and ferritin from bottom of normal range to middle of normal range--had them in June and got the measurements in September.

(deactivated member)
on 10/22/11 2:37 am
Thank you again for the response En, very useful info....just goes to show you no matter how much I read on here I still learn something new everyday. As for my levels- good question. Last time I got them checked my iron was very low, I'm anemic, so I suck :-) I dont have the packaging of the stuff I usually use but I guess I'll be taking 3 of the pills prescribed to me and hope things get better. I have 2 weeks worth right now then I go back and ask about infusions....sounds alot easier and makes more sense :-) thanks again for the useful info
Elizabeth N.
on 10/22/11 2:53 am - Burlington County, NJ
Look at it this way, in case you need to badger a doctor about infusions:

You are in deficit and probably getting worse. Certainly NOT getting better. You have only a small percentage of your duodenum in play to absorb iron. You CANNOT fix this with oral supplementation. Impossible.

You MUST get your iron in through a different mechanism. The next one is infusions. Put this off too long, and you'll be in the ER and possibly ICU getting your life saved with blood transfusions and lots of other not-fun stuff.

Your red blood cells are impoverished now. They can't carry ANYTHING right, from oxygen through every single other micronutrient. You have GOT to build nice strong RBCs or all your other efforts are pointless.

Do. not. put. this. off.

And IF, heaven forbid, you get into serious trouble while you are still overseas, make DARNED sure this gets addressed. You do have a summary of your medical records and both written and imaged descriptions of your DS with you, yes? If not, I'm going to have to come visit you and beat you sorely with a foam noodle.

(deactivated member)
on 10/22/11 10:05 am
Joanlaptods
on 10/22/11 10:54 am
Proferrin an heme iron is better absorbed by us DSers I was anemic and am taking 3 a day now and it seems to be helping. It is more expensive but an option to try while you are waiting to get info on infusions.

start 315lbs lapband feb2006-196 lbs night Reflux bc esophageal dilation,216 lbs band replaced may 2008. Gained up to 286lbs still reflux and regurg Ds March 2011   cw 165 lb