Might be a dumb ?, what is a fissure?

Amy_Kleve
on 10/21/11 12:08 am - Adrian, MN
A few weeks after surgery I realized I might have hemroids. I'm still not exactly sure what hemroids are either. I do know that my bottom burns for hours after #2... very uncomfortable! This makes me feel depressed and sick. I just want to lay down all morning until its over. 

Even after having 5 kids, I've never had these problems.

I see a lot of discussions here about fissures, I'm wondering what they are, if I am at risk and how I can prevent them.

Lap band 4 years ago. Revised to DS 8-2-11

Renee2007
on 10/21/11 2:14 am - Central, FL

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

Kayla B.
on 10/21/11 3:58 am - Austin, TX
It's a tear in your bum that makes you wish you were dead everytime you hafta poop!   Your bum freaks out from the trauma and as a result spasms and squeezes itself shut really tight and throbs and throbs and throbs and is difficult to relax.

Hemorrhoid is a swollen vein that pops out and looks all freakish, though it can also be internal and unseen.

Should you feel so inclined, doing a google image search should solve your curiosities...
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Amy_Kleve
on 10/24/11 10:14 pm - Adrian, MN
Mine seems to be internal. I do feel like I want to be dead everytime I poop. It seems like my bottom freaks out and wants to squeeze itself open instead of shut all the time. It feels like I have to poo for about an hour or two everytime I poo because I think what ever I have, if its a hemroid or fissure is right on the inside. It throbs and throbs almost all day. I can't take it! AHHH

Kayla B.
on 10/24/11 10:30 pm - Austin, TX
Yikes--yeah, they are usually on the inside, I believe.

I would not wait to see your surgeon and then a colorectal surgeon.  Colorectal surgery is not exactly a saturated market and (at least here) there are not very many of them and it takes a very long time to get in.

Meanwhile, I think you should be trying to get this to heal on its own.

There are creams that a doctor can prescribe.  Either get in with your PCP or see a gastroenterologist.  I was prescribed nifedipine/lidocaine cream by my gastroenterologist.  Others have been prescribed nitroglycerine.  Both of these medications cause the sphincter to relax so the fissure can heal.

There are some over the counter lidocaine preparations you can buy which claim to make the area numb.  I never found that they worked, but it is definitely worth a shot.  I also liked witch hazel/Tucks.

And it goes without saying...make sure your stool is really soft.  Miralax, colace, fibers, extra fat -- whatever works.

Here's a post that Diana Cox wrote about this, and I have found very helpful:
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/3693225/Anal-Fissures-M edical-Non-Surgical-Treatment-Regimen/
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Amy_Kleve
on 10/25/11 5:15 am - Adrian, MN
Thank you so much Kayla. I've tried the wipes that you mentioned. The preperation H creams and suppositories. Nothing is helping

I'm willing to try the lidocaine preparation that you mentioned. Is that the name of the product?

My PCP is calling me back sometime this afternoon to set up an appointment. I'm dreading the exam! OUTCH!

I'm pretty sure it is a fissure, because I don't feel anything like a hemroid on the area outside. I tried to take a pic, that didn't work out so well... HAHA, and I can't see the area. It's got to be internal. I read that internal hemroids don't hurt. This hurts like a bleeeep! Also, I feel the muscle spasms for 2 hours or more after a bowel movement.

Any suggestions for the exam, besides hold my breath and pinch myself???

Kayla B.
on 10/25/11 6:13 am - Austin, TX
The lidocaine cream is called HemAway.

The exam...try to relax as muuuuch as possible.  Sometimes the doctor can diagnose you without totally putting their finger up there and sometimes they can't.

Also try taking some warm sitz baths, or try warm compresses between bathroom breaks.

I felt that exercising helped relax the sphincter a lot too.  Not sure why, but it felt a lot better after I went to the gym for a bit.
Amy_Kleve
on 10/25/11 10:01 am - Adrian, MN
WOW- when you said exercise helps--I TOTALLY agree! Yesterday morning it hurt SO bad. After I went to the gym I couldn't feel it anymore. Its getting to the gym and wanting to work out with the pain that is the hardest part to get past.

DivaJojo
on 10/21/11 4:13 am - Atlanta, GA
The first two got your questions answered.  I'll just add that it can occur by passing hard stools or chronic diahrrea.  They are very difficult to heal . . . I'm having a devil of a time.  I'd recommend getting to a good Colo-rectal doctor/surgeon as soon as possible.  Until then, go ahead and start home treating it by the following:

Vaseline to coat the area before BM's.

Warm to comfortably hot soak for 20 minutes after and at least 1-2 more times during the day.

Try to stay off of it when you can.

If hard stools, start a softening regimen with stool softeners or miralax, plenty of fiber and water.

Stay away from spicy foods that may chemically irritate coming out as well as anything that tends to constipate you or irritate you coming back out.

If dealing with diahrrea, take the necessary steps to bulk up your stool (sorry, don't know exactly what those are as I haven't had that issue).

You may try applying something like vitamin E oil, pure EE olive oil or pure aloe vera to help with soothing and healing, but I can't give you any guarantees about how beneficial it is.  Some people have success, others don't.

If confirmed, your doctor will probably prescribe a .2% nitroglycerine ointment to use which is a muscle relaxer.

Even after the pain stops, continue this regimen I'd say for at least 3-4 months as even after you've become pain free, it takes several months for actual healing to take place.

Good luck.

Diva Jojo:   SW:  440lbs -- CW:  274lbs  --  GW:  240lbs

Amy_Kleve
on 10/24/11 10:17 pm - Adrian, MN
I have an appointment next Wednesday with my surgeon, I hope he can do something for me or recommend a good colo-rectal. I wish the pain stopped. Its getting worse  everyday. Thanks for all the tips!