Protein low - looking for suggestions on uses for unflavored protein

(deactivated member)
on 10/20/11 6:47 am - Woodbridge, VA
So, I'm more than 2.5 years out, and I am just over 17 weeks pregnant. I stopped drinking protein shakes when I found out I was pregnant because I wanted to avoid artificial sweeteners. I can't opt for varieties sweetened with real sugar since I've also been a type 2 diabetic, so I am keeping carbs under wraps to hopefully avoid gestational diabetes, which I'm obviously very much at risk for. And I had labs drawn last week, and my protein is now low. 6.1 to be exact.

I also avoid soy and try not to take in too much stevia.

So...I do have Isopure unflavored protein that is all natural and soy-free. I don't eat yogurt anymore because I don't like the flavor of the plain yogurt, so I end up adding stuff to sweeten it, which is counterproductive because that's either sugar (even if just fruit) or artificial sweeteners. I do not drink coffee or tea (nothing to do with pregnancy, just I've never liked either, not even flavored varieties).

Any idea what to mix it into? I once mixed it into some french onion soup broth, but it got too hot and ended up all clumpy.

On a more positive note, my A1C came back at 4.8 with a fasting glucose of 60  :)
MajorMom
on 10/20/11 7:38 am - VA
Are you sure you're not over thinking the use of Splenda and stevia?

Ok, how are your albumin and prealbumin levels? Protein serum level isn't the best indicator of protein nutritional status.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 10/20/11 12:20 pm - Woodbridge, VA
Albumin = 3.8, just within normal. Didn't run prealbumin, as these weren't supposed to be full labs, just sort of overview (CBC, CMP) and areas of concern, and protein hadn't ever been an area of concern for me before!

I may very well end up using some artificial sweeteners if I can't find tolerable uses for the unflavored. I can maybe try some Jay Robb. Do you know off the top of your head of brands that use Splenda and not aspartame or other less pronounceable sweeteners?
MajorMom
on 10/20/11 6:54 pm - VA
IDS MultiPro and Syntrax Nectar are sweetened with sucralose. They have a little soy...last thing on the ingredient list.

--g

******GOAL*******

Join us on the
Lightweights Board!

(deactivated member)
on 10/20/11 7:52 pm - Woodbridge, VA
I'll look at the Syntrax more - aren't the Nectars all the fruity ones? I've tried and can't stand any of those. Is that strawberry mousse one I tried at the support group made with sucralose? Why am I asking; I've got the internet  :P
MajorMom
on 10/20/11 7:58 pm - VA
lol  Yep, the Nectar strawberry mousse was the one I had at support group and that's the ingredient label I was reading this morning.

******GOAL*******

Join us on the
Lightweights Board!

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 10/20/11 7:46 am
I use unflavored protein in veggie beef stew, or chicken veggie soup. I do avoid getting it too hot after the protein goes in, but even if I get a few lumps, I try to have enough veggies and taters in there that it all just blends.
(deactivated member)
on 10/20/11 12:57 pm - Woodbridge, VA
I really wish I liked more veggies! Maybe if I find a good recipe and just let it cook and cook, the veggies will get mushy enough that the textures and flavors won't stand out. heh, hating veggies helped lead me to WLS in the first place, as it made reduced-calorie dieting VERY difficult!
NoMore B.
on 10/20/11 8:07 am
 Sorry I dont have any ideas on the protein - but just wanted to say I'm in awe of the power of the DS if even with your super long common channel you're malabsorbing so much protein.

Best wishes for a smooth pregnancy
Joanne
(deactivated member)
on 10/20/11 12:16 pm - Woodbridge, VA
There are even some VSGers who have trouble with protein. As I understand it, it can be because of the reduction in gastric acid available to help break it down in the stomach coupled with less time food spends in the stomach in general. I definitely believe I've got the lower end of the acid spectrum, as I've never had heartburn/reflux or ever needed to take an acid reducer, even early post-op.