1st consult w/ Dr. Roslin. Apologizing ahead of time post is long.

Toy T.
on 10/20/11 11:17 pm
DS on 02/22/12
Thanks Frankie,  

I am going to speak with my Mom and see if she would be able to come with me to my appt. My dad was just sick so she used a lot of her sick/vac time on that but i plan on speaking to her today about it. I know in the end she will have my back no matter what decision I make bc she is my Mom and she loves me and always wants what is best for me. 

I am glad Dr. Roslin is the way he is. I wish my first surgeon was that upfront about the RNY and I knew it wouldn't be  easy peasy this time around. I am glad he is so thorough bc a lot of doctors arent and I know first hand how that can lead to some serious complications. 

Yup my CT scan w/ contrast is scheduled for next Friday. I have to swing by and pick up Barium  Swallow on Tuesday at Hospital. Im having one of pelvis/abd done. 

Yeah I woke up and stayed up awhile last night and really asked myself is this what I want and the answer was yes. The benefits outweigh the risks in my opinion.

Jody W.
on 10/20/11 10:49 pm - Windsor, CT
The thing about Dr Roslin is that he does not take every Revision (Bypass to DS case)... it is based on a lot of things.... (I am not saying that you thought this) but I think that some people think that they have an appointment and they are automatically gonna get the surgery... however the thing is he would be re-missed as a DR if he did not tell you everything that he told you....

BTW he is not the best with Bedside manner so if you are looking for that you may want to go somewhere else... He is not the hold your hand type... just an fyi

Original LapBand Surgery - 07/26/06- DS Surgery - 08/16/2011
 HW/LW/SW/CW/GW
289/195/277.5/242.5/170

Toy T.
on 10/20/11 11:11 pm
DS on 02/22/12
 Oh I knew all of this and was well aware that he would request me do get things done before he decided whether or not to take me on as a patient and thats why I had already got the ball rolling by call the GI for a consult. His point was people read dsfacts.com and come on OH and think and read the forums and think oh well its not going to be that bad so he wanted me to be aware of the risks I was taking. I was more annoyed with the assistant which seemed to set the tone for the rest of appt. 
I was also aware that he is a more direct type of doctor and not a hold my hand type; which I find refreshing. I don't need the doctor to hold my hand bc that is not his job. I need him to be upfront and honest with me which is what he did and which is why I came home scheduled my CT scan, called this morning scheduled my cardio appt, and confirmed appt with GI. 

What I was trying to convey in my original message was I didn't want to have the surgery meaning if I had a choice I wouldn't be obese or have problems losing weight but I do so that is why I am exploring this surgery and the reason I had the iniital RNY.  PCOS is a wicked wicked disease and its a catch 22 in order to control the disease you have to get your hormones under control and your insulin where it should be but in order to do that you have to lose a significant amount of weight but PCOS makes it very difficult to lose weight on your own. So my frustration was not directed towards doctor, it was just frustration at this is not the way I saw myself at 30 y.o. or this was not something I expected to go through again. 
Jody W.
on 10/21/11 12:12 am - Windsor, CT
Toya,
Honestly I didnt think that i needed the bedside manner either... but when I was in the hospital alone and he wizzes in and out in like 2.5 seconds.. I felt like I could have used a little more IMHO...

I totally understand the trap that this weight has or has had us all in... I am sorry that you are going through this... but what I will say is DR R is a great surgeon and he is one of the best ones that you want operating on you in this situation... I was a Band to DS so the risks were not as great...and I have had no complications...(Thank God!) i wish you all the best!!

Original LapBand Surgery - 07/26/06- DS Surgery - 08/16/2011
 HW/LW/SW/CW/GW
289/195/277.5/242.5/170

tee4change
on 10/21/11 1:10 am - NY
Jodi says it best, kinda what I meant to say, but didn't come out that way. I hope your next appts are better and all goes well.
Shavonne P.
on 10/20/11 11:37 pm

Sorry you had a rough day.

Dr Roslin is very set in his ways, tends to be ****y, and some say he doesn't have the best beside manner.  Compared to my RNY surgeon who is a effin asshole, Dr Roslin is quite the charmer in my eyes.  Lol. 

He is a smart man, he knows what he is doing.  So know the things he asks of you is for good reason.

Good luck to you. 

Nothing feels better than being able to go into ANY store and fit their clothes!
Sexyvt123
on 10/21/11 1:27 am
Hey Toya

I think everyone pretty much sum everything up for you.  The only thing I want to add here is that you need to be STRONG. You need to be strong and confident when it comes to Dr Roslin, your mom, the administrative assistant, **** everyone.  Remember this is your second surgery and even though people won't say that you fail the first time, im sure they are thinking it.  Everything is a test  when it comes to situations like this.  The Dr is gonna test you, your mom is gonna test and the damn insurance is gonna test you.  This is just the beginning of your journey and you are going to have to fight for what you want.  If this is what your truly want and willing to take the risk then you will have to prove that to everyone.  You have to sit down with your mom and really explain to her why you need to do this surgery and why you NEED her to support her in your decision.  Your right when you say most people dont understand how it feels walking around with all this weight .  They will never know and that is why you need to show and explain to them the pain you go through everyday.  When I told my mom and sister I was revising they were very supportive but scared at the same time.  They supported me all the way because they knew how sick and tired I was with this weight.  They knew that I was serious about doing this revision and no one was gonna stop from having it done.  I suggest that on your follow up visit you tell both your mom and Dr Roslin that this is what you want and you will fight till the end to have this revision done for the sake of your health.  Like everyone else said Dr Roslin is very tough and ****y but he is the BEST.  Keep your mind focus on the prize and remember that all of the tough talk, attitude and hurdles you have to jump through are stepping stones to your goal.  I ignore all of that stuff because I knew in the end I will get what I set forth for.  I didnt care about Dr Roslin bed manners or his ****iness.  To be honest  I was too busy trying to move around so when he did show his face he can see that I was able to go home and not have to stay in the hospital another minute.  I wish you luck and you will be just fine. 

Sexyvt aka Vonett

smileyjamie72
on 10/21/11 3:50 am - Palmer, AK

Toya,

You perserverd your first appointment, bumps and all.  YEA!!!!  Another hurdle behind you on your journey!!!!

Keep up that determination!!!!
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**