Sitting in Emerg

Jennifer D.
on 10/20/11 5:34 am
My doctors idea of dealing with my right side pain was to keep an eye on it. So today the pain is so extensive below my right ribs that I have been in the waiting room in emerg. I have ruled out a burst appendix simply because I'd be dead by now. Gall bladder is gone. Is there a possibility this could just be gas? The pain is unbearable, comes and goes a few times a day. What a way to spend the entire afternoon (and likely evening : ()
                                      Jennifer
          Thank you Cheri and Holly!
       Think twice, cut once! I've had 3 surgeries now, RNY, VSG and DS .
                                Ask me about the DS or visit dsfacts.com
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
2011 - Full DS-August 24th
                HW 311   SW 306  CW 235  GW 150
elixir
on 10/20/11 6:21 am - MI
 Sorry to hear you're in pain. While no pain is good I hope it's just gas instead of something worse.

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

Jennifer D.
on 10/21/11 9:01 am
Thank you. I never got to find out, after 6.5 hours in the waiting room they did a shift change and a mom who had been with her son came out and told me she had been inside for 3 hours and not seen a doctor and many others were in the same position. : (. I had to leave, pain was down and my son needed me to be home.
                                      Jennifer
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
(deactivated member)
on 10/20/11 6:44 am
Did they rule out an obstruction? Could even be Kidney Stones - so many things present that way. Saying prayer they find it and fix it quickly....
Jennifer D.
on 10/21/11 9:04 am

Hi Lynmarie, I was thinking it may be kidney stones. I tried to tell them I had a Biliopancreatic Limb where food does not travel but  the triage nurse nurse wasn't listening, after I had not vomited or had the runs she ignored what I said after. I'm usually an advocate for our health care system - not today :(.

Jennifer
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
* Gail R *
on 10/20/11 7:16 am - SF Bay Area, CA
My son suffered from pains on and off for days before it became full blown appendicitis. It's when it stops hurting that you worry because it has burst. Hope it isn't anything serious. Keep us informed.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

Jennifer D.
on 10/21/11 9:06 am
Thanks Gail, that's good to know and it explains why the nurse seemed to care that the pain had lessened yesterday (not enough to put me in a room though  :( )
                                      Jennifer
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
Sher Bear Mama
on 10/20/11 11:25 am
I'm preop and about a week or two ago I ended up in the ER for the same reason. I rated my pain about a 9 on a scale of 1-10.  They gave me some intravenous pain meds some anti-nausea meds (I was really nauseous and threw up at home before going to the ER). Then they did the whole ultrasound on me to see if there was a problem. My pain was also coming and going--really sharp pains that had me doubled over. But when they did the ultrasound, they found nothing--so the doctor said the lining of my stomach must have been inflamed. Well, I was pretty "inflamed" because they just couldn't give me a true reason for my pain. It came and went for the next day and then it was gone.  It appears every so often since but not as bad as before.

I wish you luck and hugs. I feel for you (almost literally).

Thinking of you,

Sher-
Sher--the bear mama

Jennifer D.
on 10/21/11 9:08 am
Thanks Sher, I noticed others in there with abdominal pain. I wonder if something's going around...  I would be so embarrased if it was just gas but the pain gets so bad I need a solution.
                                      Jennifer
2002 - RNY
2010 - RNY to VSG
J G.
on 10/20/11 3:37 pm
hope you have learned something by now.... Hugs, Jenny