Whew! Getting over my paranoia.

Carol P.
on 10/19/11 12:29 pm
 I went to my doctor's required orientation last week.  It was run by one of his associates, and he went thoroughly over the 4 kinds of surgeries, and when he finally got to DS, he just glossed over it as something for people with BMIs over 50 and that it produced "paint-peeling" gas.  At the end somebody asked what the next step was and he said somebody would contact us in the next couple of days.

So first I started getting paranoid that they're going to try and talk me out of getting a DS because my BMi is about 41. (I'm still worried about this.)  Then nobody called me.  We had to fill out lots of forms and I started getting paranoid that something I filled out caused them to think I wasn't a good candidate for surgery, and they wouldn't accept me.

Finally I called the office, and they said that they were waiting to hear from my insurance before contacting me.  Well that was kind of a relief, but I did find it odd.  I guess they want to know what surgeries my insurance covers and whether or not they require me to do a 6-month diet first. That is just a guess though.

Anyway, I just had to vent and felt this was the only place I could.  I am going through so many emotions because I really want to lose weight and keep it off, and I know I can't do it without WLS, but then there are times when I ask myself if I am really ready for the commitment and issues that go along with it.  I'm glad I've learned so much from this board, but sometimes I think I read too much, too.
elixir
on 10/19/11 12:39 pm - MI
Did you go to GHP? Dr. Kemmeter describes the gas as paint peeling and there have been times where that's been pretty spot on if I make a mistake and eat something I shouldn't. 

I really enjoyed my experience w/the folks at GHP. Dr. Kemmeter was actually the person *****commended the DS for me. The Dr. I had an appt with there prior to meeting with him suggested RNY. I'm glad I took his advise instead of hers.

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

Carol P.
on 10/20/11 2:42 am
 Yes I went to GHP.  The Dr. who was describing things went into great length about the other 3 options, but only talked for about a couple of minutes on DS, so he quickly went over malabsorption linked it to 50+ BMI, mentioned $100 a month for vitamins (and nothing about vitamins for other options) and then got a big laugh when said "paint peeling" gas.

I guess I wish he would have covered malabsorption more.  Especially not just for the weight loss phase for 50+ BMI patients.  It just seemed like it was presented in a negative light for all other cases.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to talk with Dr. Kemmeter, too.
elixir
on 10/20/11 7:45 am, edited 10/20/11 7:46 am - MI
I know that there is one surgeon at GHP that does not do the DS. When I went to my orientation Dr K was the presenter and he didn't gloss over the DS. I'm wondering if the Dr. presenting when you attended was the one who does not do the DS and therefor didn't have much to say about it. Kemmeter really seems to be the go-to guy for DS at GHP. He's pretty amazing.

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

Julie R.
on 10/20/11 10:12 am - Ludington, MI
 I bit it was Baker.....only Foote and Kemmeter do the DS.   Both of them, you have to REALLY, REALLY, REALLY prove to them that you are committed to all that the DS entails.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

gak
on 10/20/11 1:00 pm
Revision on 06/21/13
Sounds like you need to make sure you talk with the doc in the group that does the DS.  Normally when a doc states bad things about the DS, they do not do it.. be carefull and research. Have you check to see if they are listed on www.dsfacts.com

Good luck ! Hang in there.

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm