losing my hair

Its a Secret
on 10/17/11 10:55 pm
I haven't switched yet.  This summer I went back and forth between my mothers ICU bed and my brothers.  Between my father wanting to celebrate with vacation 6 hours after my mother passed and asking me to care for my brother for a month so he could do so and the loss of my mother and family in-fighting, I had some serious stress.  I'm back in another state and have cut all contact with all but my brother so things are calmer now.

My hair is thinning and falling out and I've read the link that gets sent out.  Do you folks think if I took some biotin, it might slow my hair loss?  I've gotten plenty of protein (well, maybe not when I was bouncing between hospitals but once I could).

Any ideas?

scoob
on 10/18/11 12:06 am - Somerset, KY
I don't see where it would hurt to take some biotin. My MIL is a normie and takes 5000 iu's because of thinning hair. I started taking it when my hair started falling out. My hair is thinner and straighter now but I love it. And I have fly aways from new growth. Once my hair quit falling out I dropped to 1000 iu's because my leg and arm pit hairs were growing like wild! Hope this helps.

So sorry for the loss of your mother. HUGS

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

butercup
on 10/18/11 10:01 am - Kennewick, WA
Biotin won't stop hair loss. It will just help it grow back the stuff you're losing from what I understand.
dawn S.
on 10/19/11 7:13 am - NJ
I have thinning hair to begin with so I know how you feel.  I've been using this shampoo and conditioner and I've seen a lot of new growth with it.  I know I'll just lose it in three months, but it's working better than anything I've ever tried.  If you have a hair stylist friend, they can get it for you in their prices.

Here's the link.http://dslaboratories.com/home.php

HW: 245  SW:225.5  GW:165

Its a Secret
on 10/18/11 2:45 pm
I'll take what I can get :)  I know I'll loose hair from the DS as well so I started on the biotin tonight.  1000 mcg chewable for now.  I kept thinking I was imagining it but it's really happening.

butercup
on 10/19/11 7:21 am - Kennewick, WA
I have NO idea why it's posting as dawn S.  this is Butercup aka Heidi.  Sooo weird!  I'm going to sign out and sign back in.
Elizabeth N.
on 10/19/11 1:12 am - Burlington County, NJ
Won't hurt, might or might not help.

The more you can do for excellent nutrition and even more excellent stress management, the better. I'm sorry you have a bunch of lunatics for family :-( .

Ann M.
on 10/19/11 11:10 am - GA
It looks like you are scheduled for a DS. I was a revision from a band and had to get my band unfilled about a month (I think) prior to surgery. It enabled me to address some band induced nutritional issues. I started supplementing protein and calcium big time prior to surgery. At almost 4 months post op I have noticed some shedding; however it is not significant at this point. What is significant at this point is that I have a bunch of new hair coming in that is 2-3 inches long as pointed out by my hairdresser. If I hold down my regular hair you can see the little porcupine hairs sticking up all over. Given how fast my hair grows I assume the regrowth started at the time of and 1 month after surgery. So I would recommend being in the best nutritional state you can be before going into surgery.

-Band to DS revision on 06/21/2011!
Highest known Wt/ Lowest Wt (Banded)/ Regain-Starting Wt/ Current Wt/ Goal Wt
379.6/ 272/ 342/ 169/ South of 200