I'm not sure where I fit in anymore

Renfairewench
on 10/18/11 12:23 am
I started out as an RNY, then revised to a DS.  Had a year and a half of complications followed by another surgery to correct said complications. I ended up with a near complete gastrectomy. I have only about 3-5% of my stomach left. I don't have a "pouch" because I don't have a stoma. What I have is intestines that are hooked up to the leftover part of my stomach. I have no restriction and though I am rarely hungry it seems when I eat I simply cannot stop because there is no OFF button. Occasionally stuff gets stuck and I throw it up, but that happens far and few between.  My intestines were not moved or reconnected so I still have a 50cm common channel, but I have no pylorous or duodenum either.

I consider myself a DS, but I'm not really sure where I fit in. Some would argue the point that without my pylorus I am not a true DSer, but it was removed because of strictures and gastric leak. Some would say that I am an eRNY, but from what I have seen it would mean that my intestines would be configured differently. Not to mention that I had already been a distal (eRNY) RNYer prior to my revision.  I'm don't really fall into the Scorpino category either.

I don't know why today this is bothering me. Perhaps because I noticed that the OH in their odd wisdom saw fit to add a Bilopancreatic Diversion http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/bpd/ forum.  I really don't think I fall into that category either, but do I? 

I don't offer much on OH much anymore because aside from post op complications I cannot really comment on much else given my current configuration. 

Ironic that I have always felt like I never really fit in anywhere in my life and now that I'm something of a hybrid DSer I STILL don't fit in.

Maddie, who is feeling a bit sorry for herself today. Damnitall hormones!

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

scoob
on 10/18/11 12:33 am - Somerset, KY
Maddie, honey, you fit in right here on the DS board. I know of sever others who have their own little hybrid. You still have us. Your so valuable to our board. You feel sorry for yourself all you want. We all need that sometimes. Just know we're here for ya girly!

Ruby

tazmaddy34 is my HW/SW/CW/GW 346/335/183/150   5'4.25"

lwoznick
on 10/18/11 1:06 am - Green Bay, WI
Maddie,

Thank you so much for addressing this topic. I feel the same way you do because I'm also a hybrid DS'er. I'd gone into my revision surgery with the intent of coming out with a full DS...had a RNY beforehand. Well, due to problems with my pouch, I ended up with an intestinal DS configuration but a long limb or ERNY pouch on top. So I've also felt like I didn't fit in because I wasn't a full DS'er and I wasn't really a typical RNY or even ERNY either. One thing I want to address with my surgeon during my next visit is to get a diagram of what my new insides look like. On the DS Facts website, they have the emergency card that you can give to medical personnel that shows them what your new insides look like. I can't use that because I don't have the top half of the DS configuration and I can't use one for the RNY, because I don't have that configuration, so it leaves people like us searching for other resources. I just want to be able to show my PCP what my insides now look like and alert her to any potential problems that may occur as a result. I do have copies of my operative report and discharge summary, which is somewhat helpful, but still not the same as being able to show them a diagram with the new configuration. So hopefully, Dr. Buchwald will be able to get that for me at my next visit.

I've wondered too if my slower weight loss was because I didn't have the full DS, which makes me feel like I got cheated a bit in terms of my surgery. Then I remind myself that I'm still early out and need to give the surgery time to work. I also have very little restriction due to an enlarged stoma which may complicate matters. I don't dump thankfully.  I've heard from some others who've had similar revisions that the weight will come off in the long run and to just be patient. I'm in a stall currently. But I do feel different and wonder if my experience would be different if I'd been able to receive the full DS.
I just have to stop comparing myself to others and to continue to focus on my protein intake, vitamins, fluids and exercise and eschewing carbs and let the surgery work its magic in time.

I've kept my status listed as a revision instead of changing it to DS since I didn't end up with the full DS. I really do identify with the DSer's the most though and turn to the DS board for advice and input. I think the posters here really are the smartest and have the most valuable wisdom to impart to newbies. They take this surgery and its recovery very seriously, which is the way it should be. I also like the diversity of opinions offered here and the honest, forthright feedback. I know some may interpret that as being insensitive, but this is a very serious surgery and sometimes we need to hear things rather bluntly to get the point hammered home. People don't sugarcoat the truth here, which is a good thing. Dr. Buchwald told me I'm supposed to eat and supplement like a DS'er, which is why I identify mainly with DSers and stay on this board most of the time. I do go on the revision board occasionally but I don't really feel comfortable on the RNY forum. I do feel like I've been accepted by the DS'ers and I appreciate that. I guess the confusion of identifying myself stems from within rather than feedback I've received from others. I've just told people I have a hybrid version of the DS and let that suffice. But I thank you for bringing this up because I think there may be other hybrid DSers like us on this forum who struggle with the same concerns. And a special shout out and thank you to the DSers who've embraced those of us DS hybrids with open arms!  Lisa

HW 293, SW 282, LW (Post RNY) 202, SW Pre-DS 242, CW 219 GW 140
Julie from Ludington, MI is my Angel!

Imissthe80s
on 10/18/11 1:08 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
Hormones be damned! You fit in where you choose to squeeze in.  I mean, who's to say that for whatever reason I as a pre-op won't ever get the DS, I post here and will be hanging around for as long as they will have me.  I once said sorta jokingly that the DS is in your heart; once you know about the DS, you can never be the same, it's that powerful.

mardigrascorndog
on 10/18/11 1:42 am - New Orleans, LA
 After all that you have been through and all that you have given to the members on this board, you are ours!!! We won't let you go any where else.
Michele
HW 246 SW 229 CW126 GW130 

Julie R.
on 10/18/11 1:48 am - Ludington, MI
The complete terminology for the surgery we refer to on these boards is "Vertical Sleeve with Duodenal Switch."    So if you really want to get technical - we are VSG-DS'ers.     You are still a DS'er.   You and Lisa both still have the intestinal part of the configuration.   Quit yer nit-pickin'!     My attitude is if your crap still smells like DS crap, then you're a true DS'er!!!!

Hugs!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Renfairewench
on 10/18/11 2:35 am

*SMACK*

Yeah...I needed that.

And my husband wishes my crap didn't smell as bad, but I use it as a punishment too **** me off and I'm going into the bathroom when he's in the shower and dropping a tpwering load! 

I'm having a Maddie pity party today. It comes on the heels of a failed home jewelry party that I invited about 50 people to and not one person showed up. The whole, no one loves me, I don't fit in, I'm an outcast...blah blah blah, negative self talk. I need to turn this record to the B side.

And yep... as far as I know, what I was told, that my intestines are still the same except whatever was done surgically to attach part of the intestine to what is left of my stomach. 

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

airbender
on 10/18/11 2:05 am
Maddie,

you are a sweetie, you have been through the ringer.  no one knows what tomorrow will bring, because you consider yourself a DSer that is it, technically there are few that are not DSers here due to complications etc, who cares?  What does your heart tell you, stop thinking so much, live your life now that you are no longer MO.  If I were you I would think of myself as a DSer and not think twice about it, who cares if you don't have your stomach?  you still have the malabsorption issues as DSers etc....I have always loved your posts, being a revision with some severe complications from my primary WLS, I was given a new chance at life with the DS...I want you on the board, love to read your posts, very positive, and YES you have a lot to offer, more than you think.....change what you can, accept what you can't.......I hope you find peace within yourself, because you definetly deserve that
(deactivated member)
on 10/18/11 2:14 am - Lancaster, OH
You fit here, as well as the main board, as well as several others, I imagine.

Your input here is of value.  You have a clear understanding of what happened to you, and you fairly and accurately (and literately) chronicle your journey.  VERY important information.  I'm deliriously happy that I was able to have a fairly straightforward DS journey (the only bumps in the road were the ones I put there), but the full truth needs to be available to everyone, including the fact that it might be a damned long journey back to good health.

Don't you go anywhere.
teachmid
on 10/18/11 3:16 am - OKC, OK
**LIKE**
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165