Pre Op

Its a Secret
on 10/15/11 11:13 pm, edited 2/10/12 12:27 am
Comment removed because OH violated users privacy by posting pics and posts to FB without the users prior knowledge.

MajorMom
on 10/15/11 11:29 pm - VA
How about a dexa scan for baseline bone density?

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Its a Secret
on 10/15/11 11:44 pm, edited 2/10/12 12:27 am
Comment removed because OH violated users privacy by posting pics and posts to FB without the users prior knowledge.

MajorMom
on 10/15/11 11:49 pm - VA
They aren't that expensive. If you've already tested osteopenic, a dexa scan is a good idea. You will lose more bone as you lose weight. It's almost a given.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Its a Secret
on 10/15/11 11:56 pm, edited 2/10/12 12:27 am

beemerbeeper
on 10/16/11 12:27 am - AL
Are you referring to all the tests they do pre-op?

Here's a partial list of what I had to do:
Cardiac clearance
Pulmonary clearance
Blood work
ultrasound of my liver
Upper GI
psych eval
NUT consult
proof of attending 2 support groups
clearance and letter of support from PCP

A lot of folks also have to have a sleep study

And I know I am forgetting some.

I was not required to have a dexa scan but I got my baseline done at about 3 months out.  If you have to wait until then to get your insurance to cover it that will be okay,  but you must have a baseline one.  They cost about $300.00.

Is this what you meant?  Each surgeon has a different protocol I'm sure.  Dr Smith is about as conservative as they come.

~Becky

Its a Secret
on 10/16/11 1:02 am, edited 2/10/12 12:28 am

(deactivated member)
on 10/16/11 4:09 am
 LOL, a NUT is the person at the doctors that tries to tell you how to eat after the DS surgery and gives you all the RNY guide lines.
beemerbeeper
on 10/16/11 4:16 am - AL
I don't think it is possible to get all that done in 3 weeks.  It took me 2 months to get all that done and I worked HARD at it.

If your surgeon hasn't given you a list of requirements then I would be seriously concerned.  I knew from my first interaction with Dr Smith exactly what all the pre-op requirements were. 

~Becky

NoMore B.
on 10/16/11 4:33 am, edited 10/16/11 4:33 am
 Have you had your consult yet?  Your surgeon should have given you a list of orders then.  It varies based on surgeon, and also your current age, health co-morbidities, etc.

I was relatively healthy and 46 when I had my DS.  I had to get:

-Bloodwork (tons of bloodwork)
-Chest XRay
-EKG
-Upper GI

Other than the Upper GI, I had the rest all done the same day as my consult.  My surgeon's office made me an appointment at the hospital same day I was there.  I had the UGI done a few days later.

ETA:  You will also need surgical clearance from your primary care doctor, usually no more than 30 days before surgery.  Your PCP may have their own tests they require, too.