Absorption of Fish Oil

Caleast
on 10/16/11 5:53 am - Treasure Coast, FL
I just checked out the vectomega, and it sounds great.  Will share it with my Doc and see what he says.  It actually is less expensive than the fish oil I have been taking and not absorbing,   The website compares 1 tablet to 12 softgels........might be the answer~ THANKS!!!!!
Kayla B.
on 10/16/11 6:16 am - Austin, TX
Yes, absorption of fish oil will be poor just like all other fats.

I'm still on the fence about the omegas.  I don't really know if they are any that are worth us taking.

I've taken coromega.  It's an emulsified fish oil and it tastes good, and I swi**** around in my mouth a lot before swallowing.  Since it's emulsified, it doesn't need as much bile (bile emulsifies fats -- turns them into smaller blobs instead of one big blob), but I'm still thinking it is going to require enzymes from the pancreas to be successfully absorbed, and we only have ~100cm where those are able to come together with the food and let the fat be absorbed.

I've heard of people taking vectomega, but I do know at least one DSer that didn't have any improvement in her lipid panels while taking them.  Will we even see a difference there though?  Don't know.  The effects are kind of hard to measure.  There's an essential fatty acid blood panel, but I don't know anyone that has had it done yet, or whether it will really show much from the fish oils.

I also know of a product by nordic naturals, it's some sort of "effervescent" omega 3 powder that you dissolve in a drink.  Again, who knows whether it's worth the bother.  I never tried it because it's expensive.  About $1 per dose.  And I don't really see anything in the ingredients that would lead me to believe it's all that much better absorbed in us, but I could be wrong.

http://www.nordicnaturals.com/en/Products/Product_Details/51 4/?ProdID=1542

There is some research on omega 3s and whether a lot of the benefits are really more to do with the ratio between omega 3 to omega 6.  I think in countries like Japan, the 3:6 ratio is something like 1:10 and in the US it's more like 1:45...lol.  Anyhow,  omega 6 is pretty common in the diet and as a country we generally eat too much of that one.

To sum it up: Who knows?

heh heh :)
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
beemerbeeper
on 10/16/11 7:01 am - AL
Kayla,

Keep us informed as you find out more.  I'm not taking anything but if there was something that we knew we could absorb I would.  I'm just not willing, today, to spend more money on a supplement that I have so little data on.

~Becky

Violet S.
on 10/16/11 6:22 am - NY
 I have tried coromega and Omega Swirl... but they do get really expensive and who knows how much good they are doing, KWIM?? Currently, I'm just taking mega-doses of regular oil-caps of fish oil to try to compensate for the extreme malabsorption with a huge volume of fish oil... but, like I said, who knows. Until someone can tell me for sure that I can absorb one of the pricey omegas better, I'll just stick to taking ****loads of the cheaper stuff. Good luck!
Caleast
on 10/16/11 9:59 am - Treasure Coast, FL
Well our Dr has us on Mega doses of Omega 3s for heart, joint, depression, bipolar, adhd, and inflamation.  My husband takes 15 per day, and I have been too, but my results have not been as pleasing to my Dr.  I guess he didnt really believe me when I told him about the fat absorption problem.  Anyway, will discuss with him at appt on Tuesday, and report back if anyone is interested....Sounds like the pills would be best, but who knows.  I can't even remember why we are taking all of them, altho it made sense when we started.  I think it had something to do with memory too ~ again, thanks for all the input.  It is appreciated!
janet