Saving $: If yogurt is part of your protein plan

zuzupetals2u2
on 10/17/11 1:28 pm - Sedona, AZ
I used to make homemade yogurt years back and forgot how after stopping for so long but I remember it was better than any I had in the store. Thank you for the recipe- I think I am going to try it again as it really is a good thing for us!

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

(deactivated member)
on 10/17/11 8:10 pm
Yes, start again zuzu!
It's good stuff, and you know what's in it. Perhaps it can also save folks a few bucks on probiotic pills if they find the mix of bugs that work well for their gut flora. Keep culturing that yogurt and you have an endless, almost free source. It's amazing how inexpensive it is, esp. against the price of some of the "natural" yogurts in the store (which, I admit, are quite nice, but what I make at home is even better).
Bissynut
on 10/20/11 6:18 pm - Spokane Valley, WA
Love Love Love that you started the topic!

I bought a EuroCuisine Yogurt Maker (Holds 7 jars but you can add a ring and 7 more). 
 I use 1/2 & 1/2 to make my yogurt and stir in some powdered milk to thicken it like Greek yogurt. I do use a litte sugar (no artificial sweeteners for me). It is so wonderful.. MUCH better than the crap in the store.
Cultures for Health (online) has starter but I also found starter at the regular grocery store.

We use it to make Tandoori Chicken as well and its funny it tastes so much better when we use the homemade yogurt vs the store bought yogurt.

I'm trying vanilla bean paste to see if that will work as a mixed in flavor but usually I add my raspberry puree (or just a little agave) when I go to enjoy it.

I did try making it several other ways without the yogurt maker and had several failed attempts. One was with a heating pad (FAIL).. you have to be sure the thing does not have automatic shut off. LOL   I was trying to figure out a way to do it so a person could avoid the expenditure of buying the yogurt maker.  I know it can be done..
SW~268
CW~175
GW~135
  93 pounds gone forever!
DS with Dr Marchesini 1/18/07 in Curitiba, Brazil
Revision from VBG    
zuzupetals2u2
on 10/20/11 6:39 pm - Sedona, AZ
I did break down & buy a little babyfood type yogurt machine on EBAY that makes 4 6 oz cups and is very automatic. It should make just enough for me. I have found a few recipes so I will play with it awhile. Thanks again for sharing.

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh