Saving $: If yogurt is part of your protein plan

(deactivated member)
on 10/14/11 11:28 pm, edited 10/14/11 11:30 pm

Save some money and know exactly what’s in your yogurt by making your own. All you need to make yogurt is milk and culture (the right bacilli bugs). You heat the milk to the right temp, add some bugs (bacilli), let it stay warm for awhile, and you’ve got yogurt.

You need a stainless steel pot, a reliable thermometer, and a willingness to stay clean, but you can save a lot of cash if you eat yogurt as part of your protein plan.

What’s in my yogurt? Milk and good probiotics. That’s it. I know what’s in it because I made it, and it was cheap.

You need an “incubator" for your yogurt, as the heated milk needs to stay warm for a while. The Yogotherm (http://www.abiasa.com/siteYogotherm/en/yogotherm.html) is good and needs no power (essentially a little thermos for yogurt); the website lists distributors. Your probiotic starters can either come from a supplier (good for newbies, try www.cheesemaking.com for both the Yogotherm and the probiotic starters, as are probably any of the distributors of the Yogotherm).

Natural yogurt flavor comes from the particular bacilli in the yogurt, so you can also start with existing plain yogurt. Google around for more instructions there. Adding powdered milk adds to the body (mouthfeel) of the product and to the protein content. I have not made yogurt with protein powder added as an addition at the start but would be interested in results if someone did.

For those who like FAGE and other “Greek-style" yogurts (which can get expensive), those are accomplished by draining finished yogurt through butter muslin (different from “cheese-cloth" sold at the grocery store) in your sink. Or some sort of washed cotton gauze from Jo-Ann’s, once you know what butter muslin looks like. All very easy. (Butter muslin also from www.cheesemaking.com or probably any of the other distributors of the Yogotherm.)

I can update on how to save money on yogurt sugar-low or sugar-free flavorings too, if folks want.

Emily F.
on 10/15/11 12:18 am
someone sent me a message on how to make greek yogurt and it was just a gallon of milk?
(deactivated member)
on 10/15/11 12:23 am
I use a half-gallon in my Yogotherm. That's how much fits. You can make as much as you want, I think that the "bugs" expand to fill space. Then, you basically drain a lot of the water weight out of the yogurt to make "greek-style" yogurt. If you keep draining, then you have "yogurt cheese." Depends on how much space you have to begin with and how much you want to end with.
prettypixels
on 10/15/11 1:58 am
I have not yet tried it, but I've heard that fresh homemade yogurt is super delicious; how has your experience with the Greek yogurt been?
Emily F.
on 10/15/11 3:39 am
Here is the recipe I was given.

How to make Greek Yogurt
1 gallon of skim, 1% or 2% milk
2 Tbs Greek Yogurt
1 large sauce pot
1 towel

bring 1 gallon of milk to a boil turn off heat.
wait 30 min or so dip your finger in the pot... if its hot but not scalding add the 2 tbs plain Greek yogurt stir gently.
take completely off heated area... put a secure lid on top cover entire pot with a towel leave it for at least 12 hours then after 12 hours remove towel, place in fridge...

I'm going to try it and then I will research the yogurt makers. I spend A LOT. on yogurt.
(deactivated member)
on 10/15/11 4:00 am
 I've used whole milk when I've tried it. Also you can just use regular yogurt to inoculate the milk, just make sure that it is make with active cultures and not a bunch of thickners and starches.
Once you have your first yogurt make you can use it to inoculate the next batch.

All you need is a warm oven to incubate it.

The best way to strain the regular yogurt to make greek yogurt is to use a stainless steel strainer lined with a double layer of cheese cloth. 

It does taste real yummy, but it is work, and it can get kind of messy.
(deactivated member)
on 10/15/11 10:13 am
What temperature for the oven and for how long?

Thanks!
(deactivated member)
on 10/15/11 12:19 pm, edited 10/15/11 12:20 am
No actually temperature, just nice and warm, so whatever the lowest setting on your oven would be, where it just kicks on. If that makes sense. It is warmth you need for it NOT HEAT, heat will destroy the bacteria and kill the yogurt. If it feels warm to your hand then that's good.

To start with you need to "scald" the milk, let cool a bit till just warm and then stir in the "real" yogurt and place in oven for several hours (best if over night). When it has set then it can be refrigerated.
Strain first if you want Greek yogurt.

ps.. you can google for home made yogurt with more detailed instructions.
Twi light
on 10/15/11 6:15 pm, edited 10/15/11 6:18 pm - NY
Do you know by any chance how homemade greek yogurt compares to store bought greek yogurt in regards to Protein content?

If the yogurt is strained, isnt some of the whey lost, doesnt that reduce the protein?

Edit: Nevermind i see that Why is actually mostly Carbs and not protein.

(deactivated member)
on 10/15/11 9:13 pm
I do a more exact recipe.....milk heated up to 180 F, cool to 112, add starter, keep warm in thermos (Yogotherm) overnight. Adding powdered milk at the beginning is both a thickener and adds protein.