Hand to Mouth - Surgery didn't stop the compulsion to eat!

prettypixels
on 10/13/11 7:06 am
Compulsive overeating is absolutely an eating disorder, and one which I have too so I really understand where you are coming from. I also think you should consider baby steps... they are important! As Yorkie Gal says, everything starts with ONE STEP. Instead of thinking to yourself "I will never have candy again!!!", break it into smaller bites. For this meal/snack, I won't eat candy/cookies/chips/whatever, until AFTER I have consumed X amount of protein. Then start with some type of movement for FIVE MINUTES a day, seriously. Just *start*.

Your life has been rough lately so it's no wonder you're having a hard time. You can get through this though.
Jeannine H.
on 10/14/11 5:19 am - NH
Prettypixels, Baby Steps really IS the theme of the day!!!

I'm sitting here eating pepperoni slices and cheese sticks, but I'm thinking of no bake cookies.  However, I am NOT going to even think about making them until I have figured out how to do it with splenda and after I've had tons-o-protein!

I am going to get on my treadmill this evening - starting with 5-10 minutes.  I know myself well enough to know that I will probably stay on longer than that, but it's a mind game we have to play, isn't it?!

Thanks so much for posting and for being so supportive!
3/01/01 RNY (Gagner): 310 to 185
12/20/03 RNY Fistula Repair (Gagner): 235 to 180
12/27/10 RNY Revision to DS (Gagner): 260 to 202 as of 10/13/11

challie
on 10/13/11 7:09 am
I understand.  I was definitely a binger prior to surgery and that has not changed.  I do not eat large amounts of food anymore, but I do want to eat very often.  The more non-protein food I am anticipating, the more I want to eat. 

The advice given here is golden.  Follow it.  Eat your protein first.  I follow the rule that for meals I must eat at least 30 g of protein (This will be pure meat, chicken, pork chops, ground beef etc.) before I eat anything else.  If I still have room after 30 g of protein, which I usually do now at 10 months out,  I them say to myself, I can have some carbs, but with protein. (Eg. cheese and crackers).  If I still have room after that, which is rare, I let myself have something entirely off limits, but I can't eat much of it anyway so it does no damage.

For snack, I say to myself that I can eat carbs with protein (eg. Cheese and crackers, Pate and crackers,  nuts, etc. and or protein coffee).  Using this rule, my carb intake remains reasonable, I am almost always full, and if I get an urge to binge, there is very little bad stuff I can fit.

It works.  I do not tell myself that anything is off limits.  I just make sure that I am so full of protein that I can't get far off track.

On days that I don't follow this rule, I find that I can eat tons of carbs and that i can eat endlessly.  I might interpret this to mean that I am helpless, but I know I am not.  If I get protein first, I am good.

Best of luck,
Challie

Jeannine H.
on 10/14/11 6:03 am - NH
Challie, thank you so much for these suggestions!  They are simple and will be easy for me to implement.  I'm going to go figure out how much 30 grams of pure meat protein actually looks like so I can start to do that at each meal. 

Always combining carbs with protein is a great idea.  What I need to get away from is the large bags of Smart Corn that can be entirely consumed without feeling a bit full.  Lethal!

The one thing I don't, won't, can't do anymore is the "diet head", if you know what I mean.  So, I like that you say nothing is off limits, but that you stuff yourself with protein first!

Many thanks, Challie!

zuzupetals2u2
on 10/13/11 8:22 am - Sedona, AZ
I think my compulsiveness is a plus after the DS as I have to be constantly taking pills, drinking water, eating protein. shopping, planning meals, coming here, etc etc I find I have to focus on some good tasting protein as I have always eaten for taste, for fun & enjoyment but after the Ds I still can. In fact I don't remember a time when I have enjoyed food so much. I lived for 25 years with a stomach stapled little pouch where I would upchuck after a few bites if I wasn't careful. I didn't enjoy restaurant eating much in that time. I did morph into eating soft foods but I kept my weight up to 250 or higher easily. Now I can eat so much more and still lose weight. As long as what I am eating tastes good I seem to be able to leave the junk  alone and I had a real sweet tooth. Not bringing it home seems to be half the battle for me.

Good luck to you! keep trying  & you will find a way to work it out!

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

Jeannine H.
on 10/14/11 6:09 am - NH
Zuzupetals, I really appreciate your words of encouragement!  Ok, so we'll make that OCD work for us, right?!  You seem to be describing what my nutritionist calls "recreational eating" - that was a new one for me, but oh-so-true!  It really does encourage and motivate me to hear that you are enjoying your food so much and that the junk food is no longer ruling the day.  Way to go!!!

Thanks again, and I wish you a beautiful day!

Tabitha70
on 10/13/11 8:41 am
I'm sorry that you have so much stress in your life,that must be difficult to deal with on a daily basis. 
I don't have anything helpful to add but wanted to wish you luck and also thank-you for your post. I think there are a lot of us here that will benefit from your openness and honesty plus all of the helpful, informative replies. I know I will.

*************************************************************************************

RNY 11/00
with starting BMI of 57. Most lost was 52% EWL and BMI of 41.
Gained back every single pound.
Revision to DS 12/08 with starting BMI of 57 (again)
Over 3 years DS post-op, currently BMI of 26.3 
200lbs. gone as of 6/27/10 !!  I'm HALF of the old me as of 10/8/10 !! ONEderland 3/7/11 !!

LadyDi1970 and I are Angel buddies! 

Jeannine H.
on 10/14/11 6:13 am - NH
Oh my gosh, Tabitha - your stats are nothing short of INSPIRING!!!!!  Thank you for your support and encouragement - it is much appreciated.  Openness and honesty are the only way to the light at the end of the tunnel.  I, too, am so appreciative of all the helpful replies from people - so much to learn here!

Best of luck to you and look forward to sharing the journey with you!

(deactivated member)
on 10/13/11 9:37 am
You've gotten some great replies. Therapy will help and maybe even meds. 

One of my big realizations this year is it's ok to be be scared.  As Yorkie said, food is a pressure relief for me - I eat instead of allowing myself to feel. I may be a very smart, strong woman with a great career - but I am also human and am allowed to react to stress. I get scared and sometimes want to call my Mom and I want her to tell me everything is ok.  Just something to think about as you deal with the stress of your life from the last 10 months.

Hugs,
Ratkity
Jeannine H.
on 10/14/11 6:16 am - NH
Yes, therapy, maybe meds, and definitely Baby Steps - I will NOT give up!!! 

I like what you said about being scared - I guess it's perhaps a matter of just not giving into it so that it incapacitates us.  By the way, your mom called and says everything is indeed going to be OK!!!!

Hugs back!