Hand to Mouth - Surgery didn't stop the compulsion to eat!

Jeannine H.
on 10/14/11 4:11 am - NH

Ok, ok - I give!  UNCLE!!!!!    Therapy it is!

Elizabeth, I think you are so right about being able to make changes without necessarily addressing the "why."  At some point in life, perhaps the "why" ceases to be the important thing - just doing what we need to do to facilitate change.

I really am going to look into therapy and medication.  I have read that in order for certain medications to be effective in helping with compulsive behavior, such as eating non-stop, the dosage must be much higher than if it is being given just for depression.

I'm also taking to heart what you said about at least trying to change the types of foods I choose to eat.  Problem is that cheese, turkey, nuts, etc., just don't seem to have the same soothing power of all the sugary stuff...  Ok, sorry - I'm just wallowing a little!

Really appreciate your input!  Have a wonderful day!

3/01/01 RNY (Gagner): 310 to 185
12/20/03 RNY Fistula Repair (Gagner): 235 to 180
12/27/10 RNY Revision to DS (Gagner): 260 to 202 as of 10/13/11

beemerbeeper
on 10/13/11 5:16 am, edited 10/13/11 5:18 am - AL
I was able to replace my carbs with protein.  I ate constantly through my weight loss phase.  Constantly.  I would not leave the house without food, even if I thought I was only going to the grocery store and come right back.  I packed a cold lunch box with cold food and also took non cold food.

The only thing I did was make sure that the foods were protein.

I had lists of protein foods and I always looked for more protein foods to add to my lists.  I kept snacks available all the time. 

I had lost all my weight and more by the time I was 9 months out.

For me, I didn't even try to change how often I ate.  How often I ate actually INCREASED after surgery.  I just worked really hard to change WHAT I was eating.  I had to work at making sure I had plenty of ideas of protein foods and kept them available ALL the time.

I still never EVER go hungry.  Even if it is "head hunger" (whateverthehellthatis) I eat.  I do not EVER deprive myself.  I eat.  I can go out to eat and eat a normal portion of dinner and by the time I am in the car to leave the restaurant I am eating again. 

It is just about WHAT you eat not how often or how much.

EDITED TO ADD:  You must add protien shakes, coffees or cake shakes immediately.  I do 4-5 a day still.  Those are like vitamins.  Non-negotiable.  

Does this help at all?

~Becky

Jeannine H.
on 10/14/11 4:27 am - NH
Becky, this is a HUGE help - thank you so much!!!!!  It helps me to not feel like such a freak about the incessant need to be eating something.  I love the idea of replacing carb eating with protein eating - somehow it sounds less intimidating when you put it like that.

When it comes to protein, I have such an Atkins-head, if you know what I mean.  I can't seem to break out of the eggs, cheese, meat routine.  Would you by any chance be wiling to share your protein lists?  It would be very helpful to see what others have on their lists that I might not think of.

I just wrote in another post that I"m committed to getting at least one protein shake in a day (37 grams for the one I use), but I see from your post (and I really already knew this...), that I need to commit to a minimum of 3 a day, and 4 if I can get them in. 

I don't know how to explain this, but I get overwhelmed with everything having to be perfectly in order before I can get my act together.  For example, I heard my surgeon say - while I was still feeling the effects of the anesthesia - that I didn't' need to worry about my vitamins the first month or so.  So, I took my sweet time  and it was 3 months before I got everything together and organized so that I could easily take them every day.  Now that I have my system in place, I am fanatical about getting them all in.

The protein has been kind of the same way.  I ordered the combo vanilla cinnamon/chocolate from Vita Lady, but didn't start until I got the right canisters to make it easy to get to, and until I could screw up my courage to just start.  I know - VERY STUPID of me!!  I hated it the first time out and didn't get back to it until just recently.  Now, I seem to be able to tolerate it better so I don't think I'll have a problem getting it all in.

Thank you again , Becky - I don't feel so alone after reading your post.

beemerbeeper
on 10/14/11 4:35 am - AL
There is a thread that was started two after this thread that has a great list of protein foods.

~Becky

Kayla B.
on 10/13/11 5:49 am - Austin, TX
I will not discount that I think there is definitely a mental component to this.  Perhaps stress, boredom, whatever, eating...I have it too.

But I also want to bring up the fact that inadequate dietary protein can cause an increase in hunger.  So, I think getting some good protein in you might help with some of these cravings and we can tackle the mental stuff afterwards.  

A lot of post ops have commented that their cravings for sugar decreased when they increased their protein shake intake.  I'd start there.  It's one small step that I really do believe that you can do and be successful at.  If you don't like shakes, make sure it's one additional almost pure protein meal (some sort of meat, egg, etc).
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Jeannine H.
on 10/14/11 4:31 am - NH
Hi Kayla, thanks for your post.  Glad I'm not alone in this struggle! 

I am so hoping that you are right about the cravings dissipating with increased protein.  I have definitely not been getting enough in the last couple of months and I have renewed my commitment to do so - shakes and real food.

Thank you VERY much for your encouragement!  I think even I can do baby steps!!!

yorkieGal
on 10/13/11 6:00 am - Clermont, FL
hey hon,
sounds to me like food has always been some kind of pressure valve, for me it was a way of rebelling in a naturally skinny family *****ally prized "thin" over everything, it was my 2 fingers up ya know

anyway, I think the best thing to do would be for a couple of weeks, keeping eating whatever junk you like but add protein in, make sure you get at least 120-150g protein. I guarantee you, after a week or so, you will start to feel able to wean yourself off some of it. The more of it you eat, the more your body craves it...we don't call it the sugar **** here for nothing ya know!!
when you leave the house, pack a small cooler with ice blocks, sticks of pepperoni, slices of salami, slices and cubes of cheese, fage yoghurt and a spoon and splenda pkts. I like a couple of boiled eggs and I pinch some of those mayo and salt pkts from fast food places and keep them to take out with these. If you have these kinds of foods on hand, eat them when a craving strikes, if you are still "hungry" for the carby stuff after this, have it, but I promise after a while you wont want it.

I also love "mock french toast" made with mexican frying cheese, fried in butter and then drenched in sf syrup and topped with shipped cream as a sweet tooth fix.
My sweet tooth went away for a bout a year but came back. I make sf peanut butter cookies and low carb cheesecake, sf jello with whipped cream stirred in etc and keep where I can get them for a craving.

I think you need to see this battle as being fought primarily in the grocery store...if you dont buy it, ya can;t eat it. Someone on this board said that to me a couple of years ago and it stuck in my head. the most simple principle but its true!!

No one here will berate you for having this problem , but they will if you dont try the suggestions Ok ? just try and see how you get on, doesnt have to be dramatic. Just do 10 mins on the treadmill and then get off, try and not let it consume you as most "all or nothing" thinking does (believe me, I am so an all or nothing, type A kinda girl).

sending you a big old hug of encouragement, you CAN do this....but any journey starts with one step.

yorkie xx

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

Jeannine H.
on 10/14/11 5:01 am - NH
Oh, gosh, Yorkie - your post really did wash over me like a big old hug!!!  You also hit the proverbial nail on the proverbial head with  your pressure valve comment and your skinny family comment!  I am the oldest of 4 girls, and all of my sisters are skinny and gorgeous, and my parents were always very fit and attractive.  Problem for me was that my mom was a big deal southern beauty queen back in the early '50's and somehow she always made me feel like I was not thin enough.  Even though when I look back at pictures of me all through high school, I looked very normal.  I wasn't a string bean like my sisters - I was the one who got all the curves - but, I was by no means heavy.

I really liked what you said about just focusing on being sure I'm getting 120-15 grams of protein each day.  I really do think I can do that.  I'm sitting here munching on pepperoni slices and cheese as I'm writing - well, in between writing and reading!  Thanks for the protein suggestions - I"m really looking to expand my options there!

Your mock french toast sounds yummy - where on earth do you get Mexican frying cheese??  I'll look in the grocery store later today.  I was making those peanut butter cookies in the first couple of months, so I'm going to get back to them!

Like your "if you don't buy it, you can't eat it!"  I'm the queen of buying things for my family - ha!  They could care less - I'm the only one that ends up eating the treat type of things anyway.

You sound so calm and balanced.  I think you really do have an understanding of my particular Type A struggles.  10 minutes on the treadmill - I CAN do that, yes, I CAN!!!  Remember the movie, What About Bob? with Bill Murray?  Baby steps, baby steps...  :-)

Thanks, Yorkie - you're a peach!!!

buffalobillsfan
on 10/13/11 6:45 am - CA
I totally understand your entire post.  I wish I knew the magic formula for that gap between knowing what I need to do and actually doing it.  I have a few friends with various addictions who have gone either to 12 steps or had some sort of sobriety/recovery for their drug of choice.  All was well for a given time and then a relapse hit.  It seems so impossible to get back on board once you relapse.  Even my husband who was working out, eating right and taking supplements fell off his plan and has yet to get back on it almost a year later.  He doesn't have any obvious disorders or weight problems. 

I once saw a program on tv that summed it up very well about addiction saying that people keep doing it in spite of devastating consequences.  I am reading the advice you are getting because I need to hear it also.  I think one of the major problems is that in my head I am saying "that won't work for me.  You don't understand.  I'm different and you all have more willpower/less problems/less addiction...blah, blah, blah...than me".  I suffer from "I'm special" syndrome!  I can see how with all that you have going on why you would want to turn to food. 

Sorry, no great advice here but I do have compassion and similar issues.  Take care and best wishes to you.

Cheers,
Cathy

Jeannine H.
on 10/14/11 5:13 am - NH
Cathy - you sound like you really do understand.  I guess I'm old enough and have tried enough things to know that there is no magic formula - I guess this is just part of the human condition.  We are flawed and broken creatures, but we have this incredible gift of life and, in spite of all, I still experience such JOY in the journey! 

Yes, there does always seem to be a relapse of some sort with the eating addiction.  I did OA for several years and enjoyed the opportunity to share the struggle with others, but there came a point where I was no longer identifying myself as the disease of compulsive overeating.  That "disease" can kick me in the pants something awful, but I am so much more than that.  That is something I have, not what I AM - does that make sense?  I still think it's a great program though, and it's helped so many people.

That program you saw is absolutely right.  If devastating consequences were enough to stop the addiction, we wouldn't be here, but that's not the case.  My food/weight issues have plagued me my whole life.  I've come to believe that the most devastating consequence is how it has caused me think about myself, not what size I am or what I've eaten on a given day.

The "I'm special" syndrome - I've heard it referred to as "terminal uniqueness."  Oh so true!  Self-absorption is one of the ugliest aspects of this crazy thing - it takes us inside ourselves instead of directing us out into the world and focusing on others...

We will keep plugging along, Cathy - one day at a time, right?!!!  :-)

Best wishes to you as well.