Dpes anybody know if Medicare covers DS surgery?

Twyla S.
on 10/11/11 8:53 pm - Chattanooga, TN
 I'm on tenncare in Tennessee, which is basically medicaid as it's based on income and resources, and they cover it.  If you have medicare and medicaid, then medicaid pays for what medicare won't--around here anyway, and I believe GA does also.  My sister has medicare and they're taking care of her surgery.  My medicare hasn't kidked in yet.
Imissthe80s
on 10/12/11 5:21 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
Twla- When are you getting your surgery, or are you still in think mode? I can't remember if I've asked you before or not.

Twyla S.
on 10/12/11 5:31 am - Chattanooga, TN
 Ohhh I'm way past "think" mode!  I'm on the last month of my 6 mo diet thing and am currently trying to locate pics or ANYTHING from 2007 that documents my weight.  I have to mail that off, send in this last diet thing after my docs appt next week, and then I guess they submit to the insurance.  I've got ever co morbid they can have, so don't know how that will be a problem....LOL  But who knows with tenncare?  The docs don't seem to think there will be any trouble at all.  My biggest hurdle that I'm still trying to work on is the smoking.  I'm wayyy down to about five cigs a day from 3 pks per day and plan to completely stop by this weekend.  God help my family!
Imissthe80s
on 10/12/11 7:14 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
This weekend?! Look out world, here comes Twla on wheels.  You can do it, though.  Remember, you get to the other side by going through not around or over or under.  If that helps any. Ha! Kill those dumb cigs dead! 

Carol P.
on 10/12/11 3:23 am
 I just have medicare not medicaid.

However, I have medicare advantage, so I just pay a copay.  I will also have to get a preapproval through my insurance company for elective surgery.
zuzupetals2u2
on 10/12/11 4:05 am - Sedona, AZ
There was a a recent dicsussion here on which doctors take medicare so they must pay it but not all doctors take medicare so you have to check with  he surgeon's office you want to perform surgery.

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

Carol P.
on 10/12/11 4:55 am
 Thanks zuzu.  I'm going to the orientation seminar at the doctor's office tomorrow, and that's a question I'll be sure to ask.
Paula R.
on 10/12/11 12:48 pm - Portland, OR
I just had a consultation with a surgeon yesterday to see about having my RNY revised to a DS.  The surgery schedule lady got a copy of the Medicare requirements to go over with me.  The DS and RNY are covered by Medicare, but not the sleeve gastrectomy or band.

-BMI of 35 or greater
-have one or more comorbidities associated with obesity
-documented records showing unsuccessful attempts at weight loss
-surgery has to take place at a designated Medicare Center of Excellence

My signature is in the witness protection program

Carol P.
on 10/13/11 1:57 am
 Thanks Paula.

I don't know how to get written documentation that I suck at dieting.  I'm hoping my surgeon's office has had to deal with this before and will know what I need to do.