Considering DS surgery in Texas

teachmid
on 10/11/11 5:29 am - OKC, OK
Welcome. Excellent surgeon choice.

I take about 30 vitamins and supplements a day including a fair amount of iron. What I gave up was a lot of prescription pills, insulin objections and fingersticks.

The thing that surprised me most was how difficult it was to drink afterwards. I had no concept of "a sip". I had a revision and I just don't remember it after my RNY.

I would absolutely do it again!!

Good luck on your journey.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Fade2Pink
on 10/11/11 5:31 am - Salt Lake City, UT
Hello and welcome.  So glad you found Dr. Stewart, so glad you found the DS and so glad you found us!

·          How many vites are you all taking  daily, which ones  - I take A,D,E,K's seperately, every day.  My A's I take one every morning and an additional in the evening, every other day.  I do the same for my D's.  I take 2 one-a-day women's vitamin, calcium, mag citrate, a probiotic

·          what has been  the biggest suprprise after surgery - probably how fast I lost initially.  I was at goal in 9 months.  There are tons of surprises, some small, some significant.  Not many negative.  I feel very fortunate.

·          what has been  the toughest thing to deal with - Early on I had food intolerances for 5 months, very frusterating.  I was dehydrated a week out and that was a bad point, but I was able to return to work at 3 weeks following surgery.  Every week got better, and better.  My current "tough thing" is that I struggle body image/acceptance.  I am also going broke because I can't stop buying cute clothes!    

·          is there anyone out there that would not do it again given your experience or complications (seems like most of you are huge advocates). I'd do it again, for sure.  I was self pay, and it was hard to hand over that much money, but it has been worth it.  I know that many people have complications, many minor, some major, a few even life threatening.  I knew that going in and it gave me pause, but never deterred me from moving forward.  

·          How many taken iron infusions, how often?  Did you all have anemia problems before surgery? I have always been borderline anemic.  I am holding my own right now.  I am 2 1/2 years out and have no iron issues.

Duodenal Switch 4/29/09
Loving my DS!!

(deactivated member)
on 10/11/11 7:13 am
Hello and welcome to the DS forum!  Dr. Stewart is an excellent surgeon and you'll be very happy with your decision.  We have a group of almost 30 DSers now here in Lubbock and all but 4 (Keshishian -3 and Barker-1) are Dr. Stewart's patients.

Keep researching DS as much as possible.  The more you know before you have surgery the better off you'll be.  Everybody's journey is different.  The potential for complications exists even in the hands of the most competent surgeons.  Good luck with getting your preoperative requirements out of the way and getting your insurance changed.  Be sure and keep us posted on your progress!  
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 10/11/11 11:26 am
Good choice! When I was on the lookout for qualified DS surgeons I did some of my research here and noticed how many happy, successful WLS patients Dr. Stewart had on this board. A few months ago I joined the band of happy patients!

How many vites are you all taking  daily, which ones?

Your course of vites will depend on YOUR individual needs based on your lab results, so expect a different dose than some of us- we've all got different doses going on based on our health backgrounds. I do not follow Vitalady's plan, and instead follow Sue's vitamin dose instructions (Sue is Dr. Stewart's NP). I take Dr. Stewarts' DS multivitamin (2x daily), calcium (2x daily), vitamin D and vitamin A along with a daily prevacid.  My labs are fine with no deficiencies. 

what has been  the biggest suprprise after surgery?

That I did not bounce back from surgery as quickly as I expected, and I underestimated how profound the surgery was in terms of scope. While I could function and was mobile very  quickly (I chose the lap DS), I was wracked by fatigue and a very fussy stomach for the first 4-5 months. This was likely compounded by a stressful job and more excessive but unavoidable physical activity immediately post-op. 

What has been  the toughest thing to deal with?

The recovery SUCKED. For me the fussy post-op tummy was the worst, it made it a challenge to get all of my protein in and I relied on protein shakes more than I would have liked. It was appx 2 months before I could tolerate eggs, and 4-5 before I could eat chicken- even still my protein sources need to be very soft. I still can't tolerate tough or dry meats. Some patients bounce back very quickly and can tolerate food variety early on, but I was not one of those people. Luckily this has improved by the 6 month mark, and other than a few specific things (a few fibrous veggies and dry/tough meat) my stomach likes everything I feed it.

Is there anyone out there that would not do it again given your experience or complications (seems like most of you are huge advocates)?

I would do it again. I've literally lost one third of myself in the past 9 months. Even though I'm not at goal yet, being liberated from so much weight is miraculous. While my recovery took a long time, I love my DS now that my stomach is on the mend and behaving more normally.
How many taken iron infusions, how often?  Did you all have anemia problems before surgery? 

I do not need iron infusions, but there are a few on this board who do. Before surgery my vitamin D was very low, but this is no longer a problem and my D is just peachy.

did any of you switch PCP’s after surgery?

Nope. I kept my PCP. She's awesome, supportive, and open to learning new things. She didn't know much about the DS but was very receptive to the information I provided- whi*****luded a copy of Dr. Stewart's post-op nutrition guide.
She always defers to Dr. Stewart's instructions and doesn't presume to know more than she does.

For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

(deactivated member)
on 10/12/11 3:02 am
Hi!  Another very happy Dr. Stewart DSer here!  I flew from Wyoming to Texas to have Dr. Stewart as my surgeon, and self paid for my DS.  Hands down, worth every single penny.

I, personally, follow Vita Lady's vitamin plan.  I don't feel that Dr. Stewart's vitamins are enough for me, and I'm not willing to have to fight to bring my levels up, if they tank on his plan.  Just MHO, but it's ultimately your decision.  I think I take 24 vitamins per day, but no longer have to take any Metphormin or high BP or high cholesterol pills.  It takes awhile to get up to the full Vita Lady plan, but you can get there.  I struggled, for several months, after surgery, to get in any type of pills.  I developed a very sensitive gag reflex, and gagged on the tiniest of pills.  I found chewable Centrum, which wasn't to bad.  After the fourth month post op, I was suddenly able to swallow pills with no problems.  Now, I can swallow several at a time.

My biggest surprise after surgery was how tiny I got so quickly.  I was at my goal weight in ten or eleven months.

I think there are many tough things to deal with on this journey, so it's hard to pick just one.  For me, I still struggle with transfer addictions (smoking off and on...grrr...I hate that one the most!).  I struggle with body image issues.  In the immediate post op period, I struggled with protein shakes, but now that I've found one I LOVE, I enjoy drinking them!  I struggle with other peoples' reactions to my having surgery, so I have opted to no longer discuss my wls with anyone other than immediate family.

I did change pcp's.  My previous doctor said she'd be willing to help me get my labs and keep tabs on my health after surgery.  Turns out, she changed her mind.  She was distant, almost rude, when I asked her to order my labs.  She refused to order the labs I asked for, and only  ordered the ones SHE wanted me to have.  She didn't even order my calcium to be checked!  WTF, right!?!?!?  I have since switched to an internal medicine doctor, who is very interested in my health, and actually WANTS to educate himself about the DS and how my new body works.

Best of luck with the insurance.  I couldn't have asked for a better surgeon!  I'd gladly have surgery all over again.  I think you'll be pleased with your choice.
M. Miller
on 10/12/11 8:57 am
Kind of interested what protein shake you found you liked...I have not even had surgery yet and in the past have tried various protein shakes and have not found one I like to date....

Seems like  Dr. Stewart is well liked and respected.   There are several things that scare me..surgery itself (this from the person who asked to stay awake for tonsilectomy and gall bladder, I won on the tonsilectomy, lost on the gall bladder, and hated every minute I was awake for the C-section with my second child) so who knows.  The immediate period after surgery....and well the possibility of severe deficiencies...or even things like bowel obstructions.  I am working through these fears though, and I know the surgical risks go down with the degree of skill of the surgeon.  

To me this is big..and I am a worrier, to my husband, he does not feel there is much more risk to this surgery than the gall baldder surgery, every surgery has risks he says (which I know, but reading some of the posts regarding Stephanie..and others, it really scares me sometimes).

As far as who I am willing to discuss this , a very few select close friends, and my husband.  My  mother would not be supportive at all, she is 2000 miles away  and removed enough and at this point I do not want the stress of her doubts and fears mucking up what I have to work through myself before I make a final decision.

bldeck
on 10/13/11 8:54 am - Farmington, NM
Ok I am a Texas native but currently live in New Mexico.  Dr Stewart did my surgery and I am happy, healthy and living life.  I love it.   I was covered by insurance (thank you husband for working for the federal government) drove down had the surgery got out of the hospital on the 3rd day and went and stayed with family for two weeks.

How many vites are you all taking  daily, which ones 
    2 multi vits (Dr Stewarts, wanted to see if I like them better)
    2 Vit A's
    4 Calcium
    1 Proferrin (heme) iron
    Had the Vit D shot, so I do not take a vit d pill
  Disclaimer - I check my vits every 3 months and this is what is working for me.  I have made adjustments and are still tweaking thing.  I started the heme iron so i could see the difference between the last blood draw and this one, my iron is lower than I would like so got to get it up.  I added another A because one pill was just not cutting it.  November will be my first Dexa Scan, but D and Calcium seem to be fine.

what has been the biggest surprise after surgery
       I didn't really expect to eat as much as I can

what has been  the toughest thing to deal with, 
        My thoughts on my body.  My thoughts about losing my loving husband because he might prefer me fat.  Basically any thought I have has to be looked at to make sure I am not sabotaging myself.

is there anyone out there that would not do it again given your experience or complications
      H E double hockey sticks NO

How many taken iron infusions, how often? Did you all have anemia problems before surgery? 

No iron infusions yet, trying to get it up with the heme iron first.  Its not low just borderline.
  Another question, did any of you switch PCP’s after surgery? 
      I gave my PCP the paperwork and treated it as a get on board or I am getting off type deal.  He got on bored and we talk about my vits and everything.  He is by no means all knowledgeable but he looks things and and has spoken with my surgeon.

My story - Was scheduled to have the RNY (December 21)but was apprehensive about it.  I am not the apprehensive type person so I put off the surgery and did some more research found the DS and Dr Stewart and went to his seminar (some time in February), met with Dr Stewart after the seminar and I was on board and ready to go.  I live in a smallish town so it took a month plus for me to get some of the tests done.  The insurance was approved and my surgery was scheduled for April 21, I was eager and didn't have a problem.  With expecting this life changing surgery.  Had the surgery on a Thursday was released lat Saturday night (they forgot to feed me so no bowel movement).  Spent two weeks in Texas with family and then back to work on Monday, had 2 days where I didn't make it the whole day, but after that I was fine to work and do things.  Didn't feel great or loving it until the 5th month.  I had issues with drinking plain water so I was on crystal light and other crap that I can not even stand the smell of now.  I drink one protein shake a day (GNC Double Rich Chocolate Optimum Whey ).  The rest of my protein I get from food.

Hope this helped, you can PM if you want.

Betty 

DS with Daryl Stewart 04/21/10 - SW 306lbs CW 140lbs

Plastic Surgery with Dr. Sauceda 11/06/12 - LBL, Thigh Lift, BL/BA, small Arm lift

(deactivated member)
on 10/13/11 10:23 am, edited 10/13/11 10:23 am
 Ok, so all this raises a question in my mind. Wouldn't it take a full year before you feel normal again? 

I've had several surgeries, including the RNY of course, and I mostly remember that it took six weeks for the incisions to heal, but a full year before I felt strong again. 

I'm trying to remember what things were like after my RNY...I can't believe how bad my memory is sometimes...anyway, I remember drinking water out of those tiny med dispenser cups, and how much it hurt to do so. I remember vomiting a lot. I don't think that's a DS thing though. Just one of the joys of the RNY   I remember food getting stuck and how much that hurt. 

I remember feeling weak and sleeping a lot at first. I was VERY dehydrated and weak that first year. The RNY did bad things to my blood pressure (DUMPING!!). I remember going to the doctor all the time wanting to know why I blacked out everytime I stood up, why was my blood pressure so low, why was I so weak. Was there something wrong with my cortisol levels. DUMPING! I really believe now it was all dumping. 

That first year was very hard on me. In all honesty, I'd have to say it was really two years before I felt normal. I'm hoping it won't be the same after the DS. My husband once said to me, "Why do you want to revise your surgery? So you can get sick again?" 

Sorry I hijacked your thread, Shona. Your post got me thinking.

~Lynda
Kristen R.
on 10/13/11 11:57 pm
Hi.  I'm in Texas and had the DS surgery a little over 3 weeks ago with Dr. Stewart.  Everything went fine and I'm healing nicely.  I didn't have any complications, feel pretty good now (just easily fatigued, but that is getting better), and only get nauseous on the rare occasion. 

For now I am taking the recommended vitamins from Dr. Stewart... multivitamin 2x / day, calcium citrate 2x / day, Vit A and D each 1x / day.  Won't know how they wor****il I get my first labs, tho.

Biggest surprise for me is how quick and easy recovery has been compared to most.

The toughest thing has been getting in enough fluids and protein.  Doable, but still feels like a full time job.

I would absolutely do it again.

I'm a newbie still, and don't feel like I have much to add or offer, but Dr. Stewart has been great, and I'm doing really well 3 weeks post-op.