Do our teeth suffer from having a DS??

yorkieGal
on 10/11/11 12:48 am - Clermont, FL
I was sitting here with my toothache and wondering if there is any evidence that our teeth suffer from having a DS?? My labs have been ok (not always great) but within range since my Ds 3.5 yrs ago but I have been having dental issues over the last couple of years. I wondered whether they are paying the price belatedly for all the sugary crap I ate all the time prior to my Ds, whether its just age related (I'm 41) or whether it could be Ds related??

just thinking out loud but chime in if you have any thoughts

Yorkie xx

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

larra
on 10/11/11 1:38 am - bay area, CA
It's most likely a combination of genetics and the prior sugary stuff...though I have a friend who had RNY and didn't bother to supplement calcium who now wears dentures. Not saying that's the only reason for the dentures, but it sure didn't help.

Larra
yorkieGal
on 10/11/11 2:16 am - Clermont, FL
I think genetics may play large part in it..both my parents lost their teeth to gum disease despite being vigilant about oral health and one of my brothers also has it.......
Oh well, just gotta keep on keepig on I guess....

yorkie xx

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

Kathleen F.
on 10/11/11 3:52 am, edited 1/25/12 8:56 am
I think it is only DS related if you don't take your supplements properly and your lab results show a deficiency. [edited to remove personal information]

NoMore B.
on 10/11/11 4:55 am
 Hi Yorkie

I read something just a week or so ago that talked about how even our gums are swollen when we're obese, and losing weight shrinks our gums and exposes more tooth surface that was previously hidden in gum tissue.  That might have something to do with it.  

I know about 6 months after my DS I started getting some zingy feelings in a few teeth at my gum line.  Everything checked out fine but in retrospect I'm sure it had to do with the shrinking gums.  I know you're years out from your DS, but maybe changes in your gum line affected some of this (?)  just a thought....
Emily F.
on 10/11/11 5:39 am
Idk but I think there is something to it. I've always had great check ups and since my ds, I've had tartar every time I go to the dentist. Its unusually a lot.
Heather E.
on 10/11/11 10:48 pm
I had this same problem, too, at my last check-up!  My dentist told me that he thinks it may be a combination of age (I'm creeping up on 40) and hormones. 

~Heather~

HW: 249/ CW: 130/ GW: 140

Kayla B.
on 10/11/11 6:19 am - Austin, TX
Mine are same as always. 

I think if your calcium and bone related labs are suffering, it's pretty likely that teeth would be too.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
(deactivated member)
on 10/11/11 9:42 am

If you don't take your calcium supplements, your teeth, and the rest of your bones, including the bones that hold your teeth in place,  will suffer. 

That's why PTH is tested, in your labs.   High parathyroid readings indicate that calcium is likely being leached from your bones.
dtabor5
on 10/11/11 11:41 am
No real advise just wanted to say, sorry you have a toothache Yorkie girl.... hope you get to feeling better soon... sending some watm gentle hugs....

Denise

Denise T.
My Angel is MAJORMOM!!!

MY DS!!!!
I see stupid people everywhere!!!