It all seems to be going too well?!

Not yo business OH
on 10/10/11 10:22 am
Hey.  I know some of you have followed my story over the past year and a half, so thought I would update with good news...  I had my incisional hernia repair done on Sept. 22.  It went very well and was painful just like Sudan said it would be.  When he got in there, he said my intestines were all mangled up in scar tissue.  He did his "special" stuff, and I came away with a really tight abdomin and no mesh was used.  I have finally picked off all my stero-strips - all 18 of them, and he removed my last drain this morning.  I will still need to wear an abdominal binder for a while to keep fluid from collecting along my incision and where the muscle was repaired.  I am restricted from lifting more than a gallon of milk for another 6 weeks.  It was so nice to take a shower tonight with no JP drain taped to my leg!!!!!  Does the DS rock?  It appears to, but I still have not convinced myself that this is permanent.  I keep thinking I will be fat again.  Gotta get that out of my head and just let it do its thing!  I take my vitamins like I am suppose to and my levels are all good.  My D was high at one time, but not worried about that.  My B12 was high too, but Sudan wasn't worried about that and I don't even suppliment that other than my multi.  My biggest problem is making sure I get enough protein in.  I meet Sudan's requirment with no problem, but struggle to meet what is recommended on here.  On days when my appitite is low, I do supplement with protein shakes, but I HATE them!   I eat a lot of chicken, beef, deer, pork, eggs, cheese, etc....  I have a gluten allergy now that causes me gasous hell, but DH is getting use to it so I cheat some and fart away.  Well, That is it.  T

Ht: 5'7"  HW/247ish   SW/234    CW/141-145  (Over 100 pounds lost in 8 months!)    
beemerbeeper
on 10/10/11 10:45 am - AL
Great news Terri.  As for the protein have you tried the cake shake or protein coffees?  Have you tried any of the Ready to Drink shakes?  When I couldn't tolerate shakes I still loved my Chike Chocolate just made with icy water.

Get that protein especially now while you are healing.

~Becky

Not yo business OH
on 10/10/11 10:50 am
Hey Becky.  I haven't tried the cake shake yet, but need to badly.  Just too lazy to try something new is my problem.  As far as the coffees, I don't do coffee.  The protein smell has mellowed out a lot since the first several months after surgery.  I found some low carb protein powders at GNC and like them okay, but it is definately not a true love type situation.  Thanks for being so faithful on here.  T

Ht: 5'7"  HW/247ish   SW/234    CW/141-145  (Over 100 pounds lost in 8 months!)    
gak
on 10/10/11 11:54 am
Revision on 06/21/13
 Terri, 
You sound like your doing great. FYI.. My fav protein is the IDS  vanilla cinnamon or Protein Blitz.. Orange Mango has a nice tang and is ready to drink . 

Your eyes will catch up.. give them time .

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

Tammy D.
on 10/10/11 11:57 am
Hey Terri,

I am so glad you are healing well this time!!

I dug out my left-over medicated strips in case you were going to need them - I think I'll just toss 'em!  :)  Isn't that wonderful?

Was Dr. Sudan able to remove any of the excess skin or flab?  Sounds like you've got a nice tight tummy so it would be great if it looked good too.

Anyway, congrats on healing well, so far so good!

lauralisi
on 10/10/11 2:22 pm - Dona Ana, NM
Please get that protein.  I tried vitalady's protein samples to  find flavors I like without spending a fortune.  Good luck.....
(deactivated member)
on 10/10/11 7:37 pm
I found Jay Robb protein powder to be the best.  25g protein and 1g carb per scoop.  The pina colada is AMAZING and the strawberry is also good.  Has none of that "protein taste or smell"  Good luck!
larra
on 10/11/11 1:54 am - bay area, CA
No brilliant suggestions here, just glad you are doing so very well after being so very terrified.

Larra
Renee2007
on 10/11/11 1:04 pm - Central, FL
 I have found that even non coffee drinkers enjoy the protein coffee shakes. It's so worth a try. They taste like a really good Starbucks drink or a YooHoo. I am so glad that you are having a smooth recovery. You deserve it!

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150