Anything I am forgetting?

(deactivated member)
on 10/10/11 8:56 am
I have approval.  I have a date.  I have a monthly pill organizer loaded.  I have calcium, D, A, C, K, B Complex, and multis.  I've done the research.  I've paid the hospital.  What am I forgetting?  Any other suggestions?
Sarah_Anne
on 10/10/11 9:16 am
take chapstick to the hospital, and make sure you are well hydrated before you go in.   Other than that sounds like you are all set!
 HW 315/ SW 297 /CW 173 /GW 150, size 8/10, 5'8 tall  (Updated December 1)
(deactivated member)
on 10/10/11 10:35 am
I do have one question.  Is it necessary to take iron right away or is that one of them that you wait for your labs on?
stillhopefull
on 10/10/11 10:40 am
 Load up on your protein.......
 for kjfras (Kerry) 

Terry     
April M.
on 10/10/11 10:40 am - MI
I don't know if you're male or female, but if you are of the latter and have not been through menopause yet, bring a pair or two of granny panties you don't mind losing and your preferred brand/style of pads... most women of child-bearing age end up starting their period a day or two after surgery, and the hospital supplies are sorely lacking in both comfort and style.

~April~                                             5'7" 
       2 Part DS                   BMI: S/C/G    59.3/33.5/24.9   

Part 1: 3/14/11                HW/SW#1/SW#2/CW/GW      
    Part 2: 7/14/11                  
379/366/319/214/

Julie R.
on 10/10/11 10:45 am - Ludington, MI
 Sarah Anne beat me to it!  Lip balm!     Chapstick, however, sucks.    Try Burt's Bee's pomegranate.....I have had chronically dry lips since I was a small child and it's the best.

Also, bring a pair of pajama bottoms and a sturdy pair of slippers - with a good sole.  You need to be up and walking!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

NoMore B.
on 10/10/11 10:46 am
 Fluids will be your primary concern early post op.  Your body has enough vitamin stores to last awhiel, but dehydration is a real theat.  You will need at least 64 oz of fluids a day, probably more.  It's hard as a pre-op to wrap your head around why that will be difficult, but with your tiny, swollen stomach it will be.  I would make sure you have all different types of things onhand.  Lots find plain tap water too harsh.  I lived on peppermint tea and Diet Snapple, you have to find what works for you.  Others use Crystal Light, clear broth, popsicles, or any combination of the above.

You will probably have a hard time getting down your vitamins at first.  If they make you gag, just put them away for another day and realize they're not as important as fluids.

Just as important as fluids is walking to prevent blood clots.  That's why we always say sip and walk.  That will be your full time job while you heal.  

As far as protein, dont sweat it the first few days, and add it in as you can.  If you can get in 30g a day by 30 days out you're doing fine.  Rule of thumb is 30g by 30 days, 60g by 60 days, and 90+g by 90 days.

It's a big surgery.  You're going to be knocked on your ass, but you will get through it one day at a time.  Every day gets better and please remember to post here and let us know how you're doing and what questions you have.  The support here was tremendously helpful for me when I was recovering.
beemerbeeper
on 10/10/11 10:54 am - AL
A back scratcher from the dollar store.  Useful to scratch what is itching (why does anesthesia make you itch like hell anyway?) and to hit the nurses if they are mean.

~Becky

Jolly Rancher
on 10/10/11 11:34 am
Don't forget your Dry E. If I missed that somewhere, forgive me. Get some protein samples, don't invest in anything big until you know what you like!
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
(deactivated member)
on 10/10/11 1:33 pm
Henry Buchwald is my surgeon.  I did order dry vitamin E from Nature Made that is 1000IU.  I forgot that one when I listed them.

I am female and of child bearing age (however will not be having anymore) so thank you for the heads-up on the feminine products!

Thank you for the lip balm tip also!

I have a previous sleeve that isn't doing it's job.  It sounds like my surgeon won't be re-sleeving and will just be doing the intestinal portion of the DS.  I am guessing this will make me less pukey and will make it easier to stay hydrated since I won't have the stomach swelling.