Low Carb, High Flavor Enchilada Casserole!

halblingefrau
on 10/10/11 1:06 pm - Flagstaff, AZ
I love mexican food.  I LOOOOOVE mexican food.  So I HAD to find a DS friendly way to make my beloved enchilada casserole.  And tonight I think I perfected it!!  I don't really measure amounts when I cook so this is more of a tutorial than a recipe.

The Ingeredients:
-Your favorite meat (I use crock pot roasted pork shredded up, but chicken, ground beef, or turkey would be good too)
-Mexican style shredded cheese (or use colby jack like I did tonight since we're out of Mexican)
-Macayo's Enchilada Sauce (or sub your favorite red enchilada sauce)
-canned mild diced green chilis
-zucchini, sliced VERY thin (I use my mandoline)

The Assembly:
-Smear enough enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 pan to just coat it.  This prevents zucchini from sticking.
-Place a layer of sliced zucchini down to cover the bottom.
-Layer on some meat, the more the merrier!
-Scoop ~1 small can of green chilis over the meat and spread out
-Add a nice layer of cheese... don't be stingy!
-Cover with encilada sauce
-Repeat zucchini/meat/chili/cheese/sauce layer as deep as your dish will take
-Bake at 425 for ~30 mins.
-THE CRUICAL STEP:  you have have have have to let this sit to thicken.  It will be very liquidy when it first comes out, but give it half an hour to sit and it sets up just like if you had used tortillas instead of zucchini

The result:

NOM!

Almost 2 months out, over 70lbs down... this surgery ROCKS!

(deactivated member)
on 10/10/11 1:21 pm - TX
 Oh I love this recipe!!  In fact I just made it this past weekend.  I hadn't thought about subbing something else in for the corn tortillas.  I will have to try that next time!  Thank you!!
lauralisi
on 10/10/11 2:12 pm - Dona Ana, NM
I love you 
yorkieGal
on 10/10/11 7:53 pm - Clermont, FL
That looks Yummy, I make something similar but use low carb tortillas in mine! I'll have to try it this way now! Thanks for sharing

yorkie xx

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

Iam_with_the_Band
on 10/10/11 9:27 pm

I hadn't thought of making enchiladas this way, but this is the way I make my lasgna.  I used eggplant or zucchini instead of noodles!  It's so good!  thanks for the idea!

12/09 and 6/11, 9 skin removal procedures with Dr. Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico
Revised to the Sleeve after losing 271 lbs with the LapBand. 

Julie R.
on 10/10/11 10:19 pm - Ludington, MI
Mmmm....this sounds delicious.  I just made traditional enchiladas with corn tortillas last week and they were SO good - but substituting the zucchini as a low-carb option is a wonderful idea, and squash is used frequently in Mexican cooking.     I'll definitely be giving this a try, as it's more "guilt free."
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

halblingefrau
on 10/11/11 1:21 am - Flagstaff, AZ
Yeah for those of us in the weight loss stage who are really watching our carbs, I figured using zucchini would be a great option.  Especially because I was saving all carbs I could for my "dessert" ... a nice glass of apple cider.  I simply will not abide letting October pass without drinking apple cider.

But anyway, I plan on making this again with regular old corn tortillas when I'm maintaining.  Or maybe with just tortillas on bottom to help absorb all the juices.  This is VERY liquidy unless you let it set up.  

Oh and for the record, I'm not a food photographer.  I realize my photo looks nasty, LOL but I promise it tastes awesome!

Julie R.
on 10/11/11 1:44 am - Ludington, MI
I wonder if you "sweat" the zucchini like you do eggplant, it would help with the liquid-y ness.    With eggplant, you slice it, salt it, and let it sit for a bit then dab the moisture up with paper towels.     Have you tried making moussaka?  Another wonderful lower carb, high protein dish, from Greece, made with eggplant.    My family jumps for joy when I make it.

halblingefrau
on 10/11/11 6:34 am - Flagstaff, AZ
No I haven't made moussaka but I've had it before.  Delish!  Actually  just got back from my favorite little Greek dive restaurant in town.  Big plate of gyros meat and tatziki.  Nommage!  Can you send me your moussaka recipe?

I'll try sweating the zucchini.  I knew about doing that with eggplant but never thought of it with the zukes.

Julie R.
on 10/11/11 9:32 am - Ludington, MI
 I combine a variety of recipes for my moussaka.....let me see what I can come up with....