I suck at making chilli

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 10/10/11 5:12 am
Yes, an hour *bows head in shame*.

I guess that might be cheating- ok I admit, it is- trying to make chilli quick. I'll give it 2 hours next round.

I can probably find smoked ancho somewhere around, I can definately find regular dried ancho, but I like a smokey taste so I'll give that a go.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

Elizabeth N.
on 10/10/11 6:41 am - Burlington County, NJ
If you want a quickie chili, either buy it that way or do as someone else does: brown your burger and onions, throw in salsa and beans, simmer it a few minutes and be done with it. REAL chili is a slow cooked delight, preferable done in a cast iron kettle on a wood stove.

newyorkbitch
on 10/9/11 12:50 pm

This is a recipe I use a lot  It's from ranchogordo.com, where I buy my beans and chile powder.  This recipe makes enough for a crowd; it can easily be cut in half.

One package Rancho Gordo Black Valentine beans,
soaked about 4- 6 hours.

2 medium onions, diced
2 red bell peppers, preferably roasted and skinned, cut into medium dice
4 jalapeño peppers, seeds and membranes removed, cut into fine dice
1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground pork
2 1/2 pounds roma tomatoes, cut in half
(skins can be removed by a quick blanch in boiling water)
2 tablespoons Rancho Gordo chile powder, mild, hot or a combination
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon   Mexican oregano
2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
olive oil

Bring the beans to a boil, then simmer.

In a large stock pot,sauté the onions in olive oil until lightly
golden. Add in the bell peppers and jalapenos, and cook for about
three minutes. Begin adding in the ground beef and pork, and cook
until the meats lose their red color, stirring often. On medium heat,
add in the tomatoes, chili powder, ground cumin, salt and sugar,
stirring well to incorporate.
Once the beans have become tender, add them into the chili base, along
with its juice, and simmer for about 1 1/2 hours. Taste, and adjust
seasoning.

Serve with chopped onions, salsa, shredded cheese, sour cream and
tortilla chips.

All Contents ©2003-2010 Rancho Gordo. Inc. All rights reserved. Inauthorized duplication is a violation of applicable laws.
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 10/10/11 4:15 am
Thanks for the recipe and the link, the heirloom beans look interesting. How much of a flavor difference is there with using the black valentine beans vs. getting some canned beans (kidney)? If the difference is huge I'll see about getting those valentines.
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

Blank Out
on 10/10/11 1:29 am
 I use a jar of salsa for the tomato base,  so no canned tomatoes or paste in my chili!  I always use kidney beans, and pinto!  Your spice base sounds pretty good!

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 10/10/11 4:17 am
Ooo, I haven't tried using salsa in place of tomatoes yet. Which do you like better? Kidney or pinto? I've been using kidney but I'm getting bored with them. I tried using black beans but didn't care for them much in the chilli, so maybe it's time to try some pintos.

(deactivated member)
on 10/10/11 3:47 am
I love all these chili recipes that people use.  Any more out there people want to share??

Hugs,
Ratkity
20candy07
on 10/10/11 5:24 am - Tolleson, AZ
Substitute the tomatoe paste with more tomatoe sauce, your other ingredients, a bit more chili powder, a pinch of oregano and let it coo****il it thickens.  I make a "Kick Butt" chili with ground  turkey or ground beef and pinto beans.  I also use your ingredients without the black beans.  They are used in Mexico City, I just never learned to like them.  No cubanelle pepper for me though I striped the seeds in jalapenos and use at least one for my sofrito.  I think you're on the right track just modify.

Stephanie C.
on 10/10/11 6:27 am - nashville, TN
This is one of my favorites:

www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pressure-cooker-chil i-recipe/index.html

If you don't have a pressure cooker, you can make it on the stove top in a dutch oven, it will just take a little longer.

"Just Elizabeth "
on 10/10/11 9:09 am - Houston, TX
I'm from Texas and I have to say BEANS DO NOT BELONG IN CHILI!!!

Okay, that being said, the simplest chili recipe ever:

1 pound ground beef (I use 1 pound cut up rib eye instead)
2 cans of tomatoes with chilies (I used Hunts brand. I like it better than Rotel in this recipe)
2 tablespoons chili powder
You can add onions if you want to but you don't have to.

Dump it all in the crock pot, turn it on low and come back 6-8 hours later.

Elizabeth                                                      
Back in the U.S.A.

"I have lost the lumbering hulk that I once was.  I don't hide behind my clothes or behind my door.  I am part of life's rich tapestry not an observer."  Kirmy