DS Surgeons in India?

allraindrops
on 10/8/11 6:44 am
Any recommendations for DS surgeons in India? I live overseas can't return to the US to get it (before people who haven't ventured far outside of the their home jump all over me, although India is developing country, there are also some of the best doctors in the world there and some amazing hospitals which is why it is a major medical tourism destination). I was thinking of Dr. K. Ramen Goel, anybody have any feedback on him and the DS procedure?
newyorkbitch
on 10/8/11 6:47 am
You should consider doing it in Mexico.
(deactivated member)
on 10/8/11 6:54 am
Try to find Bearmom.  She had her DS done in India.
Sarah_Anne
on 10/8/11 7:03 am, edited 10/8/11 7:04 am
What about Israel?  Dr. Andre Keidar is quite experienced and is on the DS vetted surgeon's list and the hospital is great.  I had surgery with him and was very pleased.  

He has (or had) a US licence to practice medicine and was trained in bariatric surgery at the UCLA University Hospital under Namir Katkhouda.  He does most of his surgeries lap.  

It is a bit more than Mexico (I think) but it might be more convenient depending on where you are in the world.  

HW 315/ SW 297 /CW 173 /GW 150, size 8/10, 5'8 tall  (Updated December 1)
allraindrops
on 10/8/11 4:38 pm, edited 10/8/11 4:43 pm
I'm having a hard time getting BearMom....any suggestions?

I live in South Africa so Mexico is not that convenient for me. I will have to self-pay which is why I am going to India.

A question about DS Facts....I appreciate the value of a site like this but I wonder how biased it could be since the site administrator herself got the DS procedure? Not trying to stir the fire but i'm wondering is there are sites for DS information compiled together that is more objective? I'm sure she is a lovely woman and I have learned a lot from the site but I just want to be 100% sure that the information isn't unintentionally screened for information and that I'm not getting the whole story....
Elizabeth N.
on 10/8/11 9:45 pm - Burlington County, NJ
It's a pretty darned objective site, considering that all of us (not just Bev) who contribute to it are DSers.

What whole story do you think you aren't getting?

(deactivated member)
on 10/9/11 12:19 am
I sent her a PM with the link to this thread, she is probably off somewhere for the weekend. She will be back.

What about the surgeon in Israel? Did you consider talking to him?

Although there is anedoctal evidence on DS Facts re: how to eat and things of that nature, there are also links to numerous peer-reviewed studies that are not biased and should not be ignored.

What part of the story do you feel you are missing?
newyorkbitch
on 10/8/11 10:35 pm
Have you asked this physician, specifically, how many DS surgeries he's done?  Over what period of time?  Lap and open?  Where he trained in the DS?

"Just Elizabeth "
on 10/9/11 1:09 am - Houston, TX

Where overseas are you? There is Dr. Balthazar in Spain and Dr. Koursheed in Kuwait. I can personally vouch for Dr. K as he did mine and my mother's DS.

Elizabeth                                                      
Back in the U.S.A.

"I have lost the lumbering hulk that I once was.  I don't hide behind my clothes or behind my door.  I am part of life's rich tapestry not an observer."  Kirmy

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 10/10/11 1:18 pm, edited 10/10/11 1:18 pm
Sorry I'm hard to reach right now, I am traveling, and it can be a week or so between when I check emails when I'm away from home.

My surgeon was Mufazzle Lakdawala, and I chose him because he taught the DS, and was the guy they called in several countries, to fix what other surgeons had problems with, so I felt he'd be they guy to deal with any issues that came up,

It was at Saifee hospital, and he was assisted by a Dr Goel, but I don't recall his first name, and that is a common name there, so not likely the same guy. If it WAS the same Dr Goel, he was great, but I'd wonder how long he'd been doing the DS on his own. Dr Lakdawa has had a very public divorce and issues lately, that have him moving between countries, and I don't even know where he's working out of right now.

I feel strongly that being close to the surgeon for follow up care, is far less important than just picking a top surgeon to do the surgery in the first place. Regardless of who my surgeon is, if I have problems, I'll go to the ER, whether I had my initial surgery in India or here in WA.

If I were doing this now, I'd probably look at the surgeons in MX or Brazil, and see others have already given you their info.

If you have other questions about my going to India, you can PM me, or if you'd rather talk, I'll give you my number.