OT--An Oregonian in Ft Lauderdale --What to Do?

duncans
on 10/5/11 1:10 pm
My husband and two sons are flying to Ft. Lauderdale for the 3rd son's wedding aboard a cruise ship. Ceremony is on Sunday, we exit the boat, they sail off into the evening. Then we are on our own for a few days before returning home to a gray winter.

Any ideas of what to do? The best recommendations come from those who have been there. I am all ears.

Also, any good books to read on our long flight? I just finished A Prayer For Owen Meeney, which I enjoyed. Slow in spots, a bit haunting, but very interesting charactors.

Thanks Everyone *****sponds!

beemerbeeper
on 10/5/11 3:27 pm - AL
Can't help with what to do in Ft. L.  Too bad you can't cruise too.  I love to cruise.

Have you read The Help?

I just finished the latest Alex Cross novel by James Patterson.  They are great long flight books.  So easy to read.

Have a safe trip!

~Becky

duncans
on 10/6/11 12:04 am
The Help--that's a good idea. Thanks, Becky!

Piliper
on 10/5/11 6:45 pm
 We just cruised out of Ft. Lauderdale. The night before our cruise we ate at the famous Rustic Inn Crab House. It was incredible! If you love crab or fresh seafood, this place is for you. 

SW: 383 GW: 180 CW: 157

duncans
on 10/6/11 12:06 am
I love seafood and we rarely get it. Thanks for the restuarant suggestion.

ann M.
on 10/5/11 11:24 pm - Northern, VA
My answer is - WORSHIP THE SUN!!!! 

I love pretty much anything by Jody Piccoult for easy reading with interesting social issues.  I also like Philliga Gregory alot for historic fiction. 

I absolutely loved the Stieg Larsson series (Girl with a Dragon Tattoo).  It worked my brain a little more, but absolutely loved the main character in the stories and could not put the books down once I started.

Have fun!

SW / BMI / SIZE:  312 / 49.5 / 26-28W         CW / BMI / SIZE:  159.1 / 25.1/ 10-12 
I need to lose about 2 more pounds for a normal BMI .  I still seem to be slowly losing at over 2 yrs out...so may get there yet.

duncans
on 10/6/11 12:10 am
I read the Dragon Tattoo series not too long ago as well. Nonstop reading for a week that made my brain hurt too!

Thanks for the ideas.

meredith_123
on 10/7/11 12:45 pm - Waterford, MI
My favorite restaurant there is Nicks www.nicksitalianonline.com/index.html.  We got the Chicken San Remo, it's so good.  Chicken breast topped with spinach & cheese in a wine sauce.  We stayed there for a total of 3 nights before/after a cruise & in those 3 nights, we ate at the same place twice & had the same thing both times.  So good!!

We also went para-sailing while there.  That was so fun.  & enjoyed the beach.  Oh & we had a lot of fun hanging out at Blondies bar.

Have fun!!
  5'5" -- HW 275/SW 246/GW 130/CW 157      
NoMore B.
on 10/7/11 1:22 pm
 I like the Water Taxi.  You can buy a pass for the day and hop on and off all you want.  It stops at all the major hotel/shopping areas, plus they will give you a narrated tour.