How to decide to make the plunge?

Emily F.
on 10/5/11 7:43 pm
On October 5, 2011 at 4:10 PM Pacific Time, KarinV wrote:
That is the thing. I know deep down that another diet wouldn't work. I had an appointment with my doctor a few days ago because he wanted to talk to me about weight loss. I sat there and listened to him tell me what I should or shouldn't be doing. Most of the things he told me I replied with "I already do that". I have cut out so much already, eat low carb, calories are low and I excercise... scale doesn't budge.
If I were to diet now it would have to be something drastic that I know I couldn't stick with forever so I know the weight would come back. I don't have a sweet tooth, I don't eat fast food, I don't drink soda and I LOVE vegetables. I eat healthy but it isn't enough. I lost 35 pounds last year but I did it with Phentermine and I was hardly eating at all. I had to force myself to eat a little something at dinner and usually then it was only a few bites. As soon as I stopped taking it I gained everything back quickly. Back to where I am now. The ups and downs are not good.

I think you know your answer and you are just scared. Hugs. We have all been there. 
determineddanni
on 10/5/11 9:48 am
Hello Karen V!

Welcome to OH and the DS board! I too have PCOS and considered a light weight for WLS. I am 5'4" at 255 lbs and only 26 years old. I have been battleing with my weight for over 10 years. I was overweight in highschool but was such an athlete that I didn't care, I could perform so it didn't matter. Then college sport**** and I was noticing that hard physical training was not making me lose weight. When I was done with college my hard core training was asside and my job took place. I was on my feet at all times at my job but that didn't matter the weight piled on. I started dieting with very little success.

Then I started looking into WLS and found OH. I never thought I would resort to this and never thought I would believe in this as much as I do. What I did to convince myself this was the right choice was take time and really think about 'is this for me'. Think about your history and be honest with yourself. Educate yourself, speak to surgeons, speak to vet DSer's, find that data! For me when I actually stopped lying to myself and looked at my weight history and my family history. I could tell I was fooling myself thinking I was in an ok place and that my weight was in my hands still. It was a big eye opener. I came here and saw women in the same shoes as me with the SAME problems and it gave me hope. I wanted to change my life for the better!

So in short my advice is only you can make this life changing decision. I am hoping you make the right choice for you.
August10
on 10/5/11 1:13 pm - LA
 As previously mentioned, my husband had the "If only you would work harder" attitude about my weight loss.  He had this for five long years.  I wanted to give Dr. Keshishian a big hug when he told my husband (on camera no less) that that was never going to work for me and that what I was doing was the best possible choice for my health.
Twyla S.
on 10/5/11 2:44 pm - Chattanooga, TN
 I completely understand being hesitant about having surgery. I sure as hell understand about diets and trying to do it all yourself.   I consider myself "weak" if I can't do it myself...like I need to "woman up" or something.   I quit trying to diet years ago.  I KNEW I sucked at it, since my mom was overweight herself, and I had done every diet she had (willingly and UNwillingly), and pretty much just lost a few and regained alot.

You could wait.  You could try another diet, and try convincing yourself that THIS time it will work.  Hell, they show people that lose hundreds of pounds all the time by themselves without surgery.  I'm kind of a smart ass, so every time they show one on say...the docs, or a magazine, I always wanna say, yeah....great....but what do they look like NOW?  I wonder the same thing with the Biggest Loser shows.  If you wait, and keep putting it off, and keep up the yoyo dieting, things are definitely going to get worse.  I think I'm the poster child for that.  When you get to your 40s, things kinda change, and stuff starts falling apart.  Instead of just PCOS, (which I also have), you get heavier and heavier and your co morbs increase and the surgery becomes more dangerous.  Not saying it is, just that the risks become higher.  I'm 323 lbs right now....was always healthy as a horse at your weight.  Not so healthy now at my weight......and as you know, it always happens before you know it...LOL

Keep reading profiles.  See how many times you see your own life in other peoples stories.  Most of all keep in mind that your health is worth alot more than your pride, and nobody knows yourself like you do.  If you already know the next diet is going to fail, then your answer is pretty obvious.....Lots of luck to you!
KarinV
on 10/5/11 5:03 pm
Thanks Twyla. You are so right, it is obvious isn't it? 

I say the same thing about people I see on TV and in magazines. There was one Biggest Loser WINNER that has gained almost all of his weight back.

Unfortunately even at my weight I am not healty at all. I am on BP medicine and cholesterol medicine. My Dad is a diabetic and had a triple bypass in his 60's so that worries me a lot.  I don't want to end up having the same issues as him either.