I'm going to die from a heart attack before I can get my DS!

beth-28
on 10/4/11 5:01 pm
I consider myself a strong person.  I'm not a "typical" female. I don't like shopping for clothes (even when I was skinny), don't like shopping for shoes, etc...

I'm not scared of snakes...killed a snake that was in my son's bedroom (right next to his crib..must have come in thru a hole where the cable came into the house), killed a snake that was in our outdoor building next to the pool, then killed a snake that was in the pool filter. So I'm a pretty good snake killer.

But, OMG, a spider will give me a heart attack! Especially if it gets near me before I see it. Before I got married to my dear hubby, the house I used to live in...hardly ever saw a spider. But here, at this house, wolf spiders everywhere! We have Terminex come and spray in and dust under the house regularly, we have removed all bushes and vegetation from around the house but they still come in the house!

I am really at my wits end. I just went into our kitchen and started loading the dishwasher, picked up a plate out of the sink and saw a huge wolf spider and a daddy long-legs.

So tomorrow I'm calling Terminex again (3rd time in 2 weeks) to come spray again! I also plan to call our local county co-op extension to see if they have any suggestions. If anyone here has any suggestions, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks!

P.S.  Surgeons office said they sent paperwork to my insurance company (UHC). Do ya'll think it would be ok if I called the ins. co to see how it's going?
When push comes to shove....shove hard!

Never regret anything, because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.

MajorMom
on 10/4/11 7:13 pm - VA
Sounds like they've gotten a foothold some how. Good luck routing them out.

Give the insurance company a few days and make sure they have your case file.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Its a Secret
on 10/4/11 9:49 pm
In conjunction with Terminex, buy some diatomaceous earth.  It will dry them out and help kill them off.  There are also some kind of apple that you can buy (it isn't to eat) and you put it in your basement...they don't like the smell.

And yes, I'd call.  Persistence is a virtue :)

Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/4/11 11:45 pm - Tuvalu

The science has probably changed by now...but years ago a Terminex dude told me that they could not do much about spiders...that Terminex kills "things" by laying down poison that absobs through the "feet" of the offending critters...and that spiders' legs are too long and too thin to absorb enough to kill them.

(deactivated member)
on 10/5/11 1:10 am - San Jose, CA

I don't know if there is any solution other than to move. 

UGH!!  I am completely unreasonably freaked out by spiders.  I think there is a nest of the tiny ones under my bed - every once in a while I see one on the sheets and freak the hell out!  I want to unleash a can of RAID under there, but I don't want to kill us or the cats.  Maybe fogging the house? 

My husband has been remodeling our house, and found nests in the attic that he got rid of, but I'll bet they're already back - and there is currently a hole in my bedroom ceiling temporarily dropping new wires until this room is redone, and I found a garden spider web in here too - BIIIIG spider!  I know, I know, its a "good" spider, but DAMN!  In my BEDROOM??  Hell no!!

Supposedly, there are no snakes in Ireland - is there anywhere there are no spiders??

larra
on 10/5/11 1:27 am - bay area, CA
I have a deal for you. I'll come to your house and remove spiders, you can come to my house and kill snakes.
    I don't mind spiders at all, except for the cobwebs. They kill insects. I don't like insects, esp ****roachs. But spiders are ok with me.
    Good thing I don't have snakes here, because they scare the heck out of me. You are much braver than I am!

And yes, call your insurer. Make sure they have received everything they need. We've seen many posts where the surgeon sent everything, the insurer insists they are missing something, and it has to be resent.

Larra
no_more_rolls
on 10/5/11 1:40 am - Jackson, MI
OMG, I saw on "Infested" (a TV show) an episode about spiders.  Anyways, there was a couple that moved into a house that always had lots of spiders...various species.  They called a company like Terminex to kill the spiders.  The home was in a wooded area.  After the treatment they began noticing only 1 species of spiders...a species that lived even after the treatment!  There became hundreds of them in the house and they were saying the treatment actually made the spider problem worse!  I can't find a link with the full story, but this was part of it:  
http://animal.discovery.com/videos/infested-woman-with-flesh -eating-spider-bite.html

After seeing this story,I would be questioning the exterminator about the true risks.  creepy!!!!  

Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"

Kathleen F.
on 10/5/11 1:57 am, edited 1/25/12 10:42 am

[edited to remove personal information]

Eucalyptus and citronella oils, along with pennyroyal leaves, mixed into an alcohol solution to spray on the rafters along with cedar and citrus peel oils.

A little lemon/eucalyptus hand soap from EO, mixed with lemon and lime oils as well as neem oil mixed in water and spray where spiders hang out. It smells good....it doesn't kill them (neither will yours) but detour them from coming in your space.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 10/5/11 4:50 am
That's same recipe I spray on myself for mosquitoes!

Smells good, works, and is safe.

kramer5
on 10/5/11 2:25 am - Washington, KS
I am so terrified of spiders (I got this from my mom and have passed it along to my oldest son).  I saw a hypnotist once and he worked on it briefly with me and while I'm still terrified of them I can at least now kill them, if they aren't too big.  The wolf spiders are a no go for me, I have to stand way back and spray them down and usually they outrun the spray and then I'm freaked out forever because I assume they are pissed at me and out for revenge.
Dawn