looks like surgery is in my future

LuckyLibrarian
on 10/4/11 12:38 am - Plumerville, AR
I just had to share the good news. My insurance plan will cover the DS starting in January 2012.
All the expected criteria (BMI of 40, 6 month wellness/diet program, etc...) are required, as well as the surgical center being deemed a Center of Excellence. I just found out that Dr. Anthone is an in-network provider and Methodist is a COE. I know this is probably not that exciting to most of you, but I am jumping for joy. I am on month 1 of diet/wellness plan, starting a supplemanet regime, and really excited to joing all of you lovely people in DS land.

Cheers,

Kristen
jodic1966
on 10/4/11 12:41 am
Congratulations!! It is exciting! This is a step in the right direction for you and I know just what that feels like . You will be on the dark side soon.

HW 406 SW 376 CW 211 Surgeon's GW 170ish My GW 150ish

calendargirl
on 10/4/11 12:48 am - Land of Oz, KS
DS on 04/20/12
That's wonderful, Kristen, I'm so glad.  He has many satisfied DS'ers on this board.

C-Girl

Starting Stats: Ht: 5' 0" HW: 242 ~ SW: 229.9 ~ CW: 117 ~ Goal: 124.9 ("normal" BMI)
% EWL @ 03 months: 36%             % EWL
 @ 09 months: 80%
% EWL @ 06 months: 63%             % EWL @ 12 months + 2 weeks: 100%

butercup
on 10/4/11 2:12 am - Kennewick, WA
That is so great! I feel your excitement. I waited 10 years to have a plan cover or money to pay, to get a wls. This is huge and worth celebrating.
teachmid
on 10/4/11 4:04 am - OKC, OK
Great news!
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

nightowl
on 10/4/11 7:37 am - Topeka, KS
That totally rocks, that you won't have to self-pay!  That is huge!
I often recommend Dr. Anthone to people here, but during your required 6 months of hoop-jumping, think over your own opinion on common channel length (and, sleeve size).  Dr. Anthone makes the common channel very long, like 200 cm, and I have now even seen 250 cm! And, he makes the sleeve very tiny.  He is great if that is what you want.  For myself, I wanted a common channel of 100 cm, and was willing to take the risk of having more bathroom issues and vitamin/mineral issues.  So far, I have been glad for my configuration.
no_more_rolls
on 10/4/11 12:02 pm - Jackson, MI
How exciting, congrats on the great news!  I wish you the best success! 

If you haven't started doing so, document the name of any insurance representative you speak to over the next several months and always ask for them to send you something in writing.  I tried several times over several years to get WLS (I was so desperate I would have settled for another surgery even though I wanted the DS) but my various insurance companies always found a way to not cover it, even when I was told it was covered over the phone.  I suppose it was a blessing in disguise that I had to wait for my DS.

Keep us updated please! 

~Roxy
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.  
DONT BE AFRAID TO FAIL......BE AFRAID NOT TO TRY! 
highest weight 313/ surgery 255 / current 185 / goal 135  Height 5'6"