Acid Meds . . . which one?

DivaJojo
on 10/2/11 5:25 am - Atlanta, GA
Went shopping today because I had to stop the applecider vinegar. It was helping with acid, but apparently reacted with my coumadin. Levels have been stable since starting, but last check on Friday mt INR was 1.1 !!! Can already tell a difference iist since stopping on friday.

So, went to Wallyworld and there are so many products, how ro you decide which or is there any that we should not try as a rule (like we shouldn'ttake NSAID's?

I mean prilosec, prevacid, zantac, tagamet, zegerid . . . jeez. Any help would be appreciated.

Quick side question, both the prilosec and prevacid, I think, said slow release or time release on the box. I thought we couldn't do time release type stuff. How's that work?

Thanks.

Diva Jojo:   SW:  440lbs -- CW:  274lbs  --  GW:  240lbs

sia
on 10/2/11 5:27 am - NY
 I take a host of meds. I do Prilosec, Zantac and Tagamet. You might want to start with Prilo first. There's also Rx  Protonics (I believe that's the name? ) See if your PCP will give you an Rx first. Also, to save money, ask for a script for Prilo, Zan or Tagamet. It might be cheaper or not. For me it is cheaper than buying OTC.

Be well!!
We Are A Fever. We Are A Fever. We ain't born typical. ~ The Kills
If you have any g-ddamn sense and want WLS, think about the DS.www.dsfacts.com
(deactivated member)
on 10/2/11 6:32 am
Don't mix Prilosec and Zantac or Pepsid.  They are different chemicals, and the -dines and -zoles work differently to suppress stomach acid producton.   

selective nonsedating antihistamines such as Zantac (ranitidine) or Pepcid (famotidine), newer proton pump inhibitors such as Nexium (esomeprazole)
or Protonix (pantoprazole)

I use 40mg omeprazole (generic prescription Prilosec). Costs me $2.60 with insurance.  OTC acid reducers are at least quadruple that, plus, you have to take double the amount (2 X 20 mg) to get the same effect!  Last I looked, OTC Prilosec was going for close to $15 at Wallyworld. And you don't even get 30 in a box!

NSAIDS shouldn't be a problem if you're a true DSer and not a revison from an RNY.   The ability of DSers to take NSAIDS without consequnce is one reason many choose the DS, because they have to take NSAIDS for artritis and other health issues.
mel1964
on 10/3/11 12:05 am, edited 10/3/11 12:06 am
nexium works for me, but different ones work for different people, its not cheap but nexium and acidphex are the only ones that work for me, i get them through my insurance, the only way to find out is to try it and see which ones work, if you find a over the counter drug that works for you, you can use amazon.com and subscribe to it and get a reduced price and free shipping! or maybe bjs and costco. but get them through your insurance is the best way to go.

DivaJojo
on 10/3/11 10:39 pm - Atlanta, GA
Thanks all.  I picked up the generic form of Prilosec to try, but need to speak to my doctor first.  It says to consult your physician if you are taking a blood thinner.  I'll see how it does.

Diva Jojo:   SW:  440lbs -- CW:  274lbs  --  GW:  240lbs

Recent Topics